city amounts to map size ratio

  • ticdoffus
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
      when your making or playing a map what do you try and do/like
      in placing a proper amount of cities on the map?

      for a 100 x 100 = 100 cities?
      for a 200 x 200 = 200 cities?

      more? less? excessive?

      in the old ED for a 150 X 200 = 200 cities was pertty good...
      which is like 2/3 of 1%...

      cruzan
    • Andrew Platfoot
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5, 2007
        Hi

        I am finding a game with too many cities is a pest.
        Huge numbers of cities just clutter the game. I leave
        many cities switches to non producing.

        I would think you limit a game to 100 - 200 cities
        maximum and adjust the map size to stretch the game
        play time.

        There is quite an element of planning involved in
        terms of production and logistics on a map with few
        cities. It also make defense against sudden
        incursions much harder.

        You need planes and destroyers patrolling to avoid
        sudden invasions behind your lines.

        However the present AI would not be able to cope to
        well with sparse maps.

        Cheers

        --- ticdoffus <ticdoffus@...> wrote:

        > when your making or playing a map what do you try
        > and do/like
        > in placing a proper amount of cities on the map?
        >
        > for a 100 x 100 = 100 cities?
        > for a 200 x 200 = 200 cities?
        >
        > more? less? excessive?
        >
        > in the old ED for a 150 X 200 = 200 cities was
        > pertty good...
        > which is like 2/3 of 1%...
        >

        > cruzan

      • Larry Smith
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 16, 2007
          Open Message to Ticdoffus..

          I've been messaging you since 10/5 weeks but have had no reply, including replying to your recent email to me.  Am I caught up in your junk mail filter?

          -Larry

        • ticdoffus
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 17, 2007
            --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Smith" <larry.smith@...>
            wrote:

            hmmm eek...i'll go look send another turn...

            > Open Message to Ticdoffus..
            >
            > I've been messaging you since 10/5 weeks but have had no reply,
            including
            > replying to your recent email to me. Am I caught up in your junk
            mail
            > filter?
            >
            > -Larry

          • Larry Smith
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 17, 2007
              Sent.

              hmmm eek...i'll go look send another turn...

              > Open Message to
              Ticdoffus..

              > I've been messaging you since 10/5 weeks but have
              had no reply,
              including
              > replying to your recent email to me. Am I
              caught up in your junk
              mail
              > filter?

              -Larry

            • Larry Smith
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 21, 2007
                I'm attempting to create a new playing piece:  Road Crew [RD]

                I copied the Engineer unit and altered it to make it a non-combatant, non-constructor, but build roads double-time.  I'll finish it off by making it an almost automatic kill by any attacker.

                However, when I field the piece it won't build roads.  I was wondering if anyone could spot the problem I'm having.

                When I give the unit the command to build a road, the build time flashes on the screen for a fraction of a second, but the unit then returns to the flashing "awaiting command" mode and does not build a road.

                The icon is a new icon I created for it, but any icon set will do.

                Mark,
                    FYI... for whatever reason I cannot delete this unit's abilty to repair forts.  When I do, and save the unit, the next time I load it to look at it the attributes are back. See the #Repair Info# tag.

                #############################[Road Crew]########################
                #Type Id#
                RD
                # Names (l-s-a-desc) #
                Road Crew
                Roads
                RD
                Road Crews are the guys you see with the tar
                and the steam rollers and the red flagmen
                that maintain your roads every day.  Their only
                capability is to build roads like Engineers do.
                They just do it about twice as fast.  And like a
                SeeBee, they can build roads (bridges)over
                shallow water.

                They are able to disable mines in 4 turns,
                but cannot lay them.

                Don't expect them to last under fire.

                Road crews can enter any terrain an engineer
                can, as well as shallow water.

                Combat
                     Hit Damage - 0
                     Hit Points - 1
                     Attack - 0
                     Defense -  1

                Sighting Range - 1 for Ground, 1 Air,
                                            0 for Sub and Orbital

                Movement
                     Range - NA
                     Speed - 1

                Production/Construction Time - 18/15 (City)

                Transporting
                     Carried By  - Transport, Truck, Port, Airbase,
                                         Fort, Air Transport, Helicopter,
                                         City
                     Carries - nothing
                     Portage Cost - 1
                     Portage Capacity - none.

                #END_DESC#
                #Mv Sound File#
                EDEESTK_IN_M
                #F Sound File#
                EDEESTK_IN_F
                #D Sound File#
                EDEESTK_IN_D
                #Class Info#
                1
                #Producer Info#
                NULL
                #Constructor Info#
                NULL
                #Repair Info#
                FT[1]FT[1]
                #Icon Data#
                32
                #[Speed][Range][Road Use][No Crash]#
                [1][0][T][F]
                #Movement Allowances->CAT[COST](no show default to 1)#
                E[I]C[1]D[1]P[1]N[1]h[1]M[1]r[1]f[1]S[I]K[1]s[1]
                # base scan ranges[SUB][GRND][OVFLT][ORB] #
                [-1][1][1][-1]
                # Scan while loaded #
                # Portage [val][cap] #
                [1][0]
                # Load Not Moving Only #
                # Unload While Hosted Only #
                # Can Only Drop Un-Hosted #
                FF
                # Sentry Loaded Units #
                # Override Terrain Restrictions #
                # Boarding Cost #
                0
                # [Can Land][combat factor][move launch][move reentry] #
                [F][0][F][F]
                # Land Terrain #
                NULL
                # CanCarry [id,stop,refuel,def-ld,rep amt] #
                NULL
                # CanDisband #
                # IgnoreType #
                # Move Combat - [damage][max str][not siege unit] #
                [1][1][F]
                # Ignore Terrain On Defense #
                # Consumed On Attack #
                # Can Dig-In #
                # Gives Dig-In Bonus in Siege #
                # Siege Defenders - type[value] #
                NULL
                # Attacks - type[attack data] #
                AR[D=1=]
                # Range Fire - [range][damage][stealth fire][no tire] #
                [0][0][F][F]
                # Range Attacks - unit type[attack data] #
                NULL
                # Allow Hosted Fire #
                # Allow Hosted Bombard #
                # [Defensive Fire Capable][Deffire With One Point] #
                [F][F]
                # Is a "City Type" #
                # Can Exploit (Ground Only) #
                # Can Supply #
                # Supply Data[unit cost][np val][p value][exp value][sup value] #
                [1][0][0][0][0]
                # Can Reenter #
                # Reentry [speed][range][cost] #
                [0][0][0]
                # Can Launch #
                # Can Detonate #
                # Is a Nuke #
                # Hits To Exp Level [2][3] #
                [2][4]
                # Can Dive #
                # Can Dive Crippled #
                # Dive Change Type T/F[TYPE] #
                # Can Rise #
                # Rise Change Type T/F[TYPE] #
                # Allow Sub Below #
                # Move Attack Sub Level #
                # Range Attack Sub Level #
                # Can Morph T/F[hosted][type][language][change name][morph host only] #
                # Builds Roads #
                # Destroys Roads #
                # Road Times #
                C[2]D[2]h[2]f[2]K[6]M[3]N[2]P[2]r[2]s[4]S[4]
                # Unit Scan Ranges[type][sight type][range] #
                [SS][0][-1]
                # Build Mines T/F[time] #
                # Scan Mines #
                # Disable Mines T/F[time] #
                # Buy Points Cost #
                18
              • Larry Smith
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 21, 2007
                  Just as a quick follow up to my earlier post:  I went back and did a straight copy of the engineer unit, changing nothing except the unit name and abbr., and it would not build roads.

                  Is there a possible problem with units building roads?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 21, 2007
                    Larry,

                    Send me a saved game where the unit is not able to build a road.

                    I am assuming you are talking about when you the player go to build, not when the AI does,
                    for if it is a new unit, the AI will not use it unless added to the scripts.

                    Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:18 PM
                    Subject: RE: [empire-deluxe] Attempting to create a road crew

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 21, 2007
                      Mark,
                          Here's everything you'll need, zipped up, including the unit database.

                      Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:18 PM

                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 22, 2007
                        Thanks,

                        I like the tractor icon.

                        For the fort repair, there does appear to be a bug in the editor on deleting this with the unit editor. I will log that. TO work around, you should delete it by hand in the file,

                        replace the lines in the Road Crew entry:

                        #Repair Info#
                        FT[1]FT[1]
                        with

                        #Repair Info#
                        NULL

                        I started a new game and was able to use the unit to build a road.

                        The saved game is another matter. I could not get it to build a road there. So the database you sent me is ok, but the one used in the saved game is not. It turns out the game
                        summary  specifically has "no road rules", ie - the roads option was not checked ion startup.

                        Option Details:
                           *** Only Opponent city-type Unit Names Revealed
                           *** Buy points not allowed.
                           *** Spiral city selection.
                           *** Continued production rule allowed
                           *** Special types production rule allowed
                           *** Production efficiencies allowed
                           *** Resource drain rules not allowed
                           *** Supply unit rules not allowed
                           *** Resources not allowed.
                           *** Road rules not allowed
                           *** Mine rules not allowed
                           *** Nuke attacks create wasteland is not allowed
                           *** System based weather.
                           *** Crippled movement is on
                           *** Unit readiness rules allowed
                           *** Unit experience rules allowed
                           *** Unit dig-in rules allowed
                           *** Unit defensive fire rules allowed
                           *** Crippled combat effects are on
                           *** Unit repair rules allowed
                           *** Gifting is not allowed
                           *** Sight treaties are not allowed
                           *** Stack treaties are not allowed
                           *** Supply treaties are not allowed
                           *** Reveal treaties are not allowed
                           *** Explore treaties are not allowed
                           *** Teams are not allowed
                           *** Breaking treaties is not allowed
                        So the unit itself is ok. Just the game setup disallowed roads, and there is a bug in deleting the FT repair stuff.

                        Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 9:06 PM

                        Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:18 PM

                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 22, 2007
                          I'm so embarassed...  no roads on the game config.  rookie mistake.

                          Thanks man!

                          Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 9:06 PM

                          Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:18 PM

                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 22, 2007
                            Hi

                            I would not feel bad. You seem to have unearthed a
                            couple of bugs. Given the amount of beta testing and
                            game play, and work earlier on by William Bird with
                            the unit database, that is something of an
                            achievement. Well done.

                            Cheers