Re: [empire-deluxe] It's working.

  • Andrew Platfoot
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27 10:09 PM
      Hi

      I have been trying to enlist some help in modifying
      the AI.

      As I see it there are two problems. The first is
      developing a credible strategy . In other words what
      should the AI do "right now" based on what it knows.

      The simplest example is during start up. What is the
      very first unit it should build? Bomber, fighter,
      infantry, tank, destroyer?

      A much harder question is what is the second unit it
      should build an why.

      From there a whole range of questions arise the answer
      to which, is the basis of an AI strategy.

      Having developed a credible strategy, the second
      problem is coding it. I like Mark's idea of scripting
      because it allow simple modification. I would suggest
      the script should however be changed from a simple
      command list approach to an expert system rule
      approach using "IF THEN ELSE" structures. Of course
      this is fraught with danger if the rules become to
      complex and inconsistent.

      Some folk have been able to compile the existing AI
      source and get it to work so that part is done. I
      have worked through some of the code but there is a
      hell of a lot of lines to read and digest.

      So if people want to send rules they use, we could
      start out by building a strategy. Of course an AI is
      never going to beat a human. Building in choice based
      on environment and dynamic strategic plans is the
      stuff PhD's are made of. However if we could just
      improve the AI so it did not make so many silly
      decisions like sending in transport after transport
      against hostile forces with no recon or support then
      we would have made a start.

      Incrementally over time the AI could become quite good
      and a worthy opponent. A radical step change in the AI
      is unlikely to ever happen.

      Cheers

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo!7 Mail has just got even bigger and better with unlimited storage on all webmail accounts.
    • Colin Nielsen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28 1:04 AM
        Maybe people can throw in thier strategy. What do they do in a particular position and why?
        I always start with infantry if there is another city close by. If I am on an island, I populate the island and then start a transport. Hopefully, I'll have 2-3 cities by then. I have one producing a transport, one producing infantry, and one producing fighters. No point wasting time sending a transport out blind.

        I have been trying to enlist some help in modifying
        the AI.

        As I see it there are two problems. The first is
        developing a credible strategy . In other words what
        should the AI do "right now" based on what it knows.

        The simplest example is during start up. What is the
        very first unit it should build? Bomber, fighter,
        infantry, tank, destroyer?

        A much harder question is what is the second unit it
        should build an why.

        From there a whole range of questions arise the answer
[...]

        http://au.docs. yahoo.com/ mail/unlimitedst orage.html

      • valfitzandrew
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 28 6:57 AM
          --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "cpnielsen73" <cpnielsen73@...>
          wrote:

          > I finally figured a way around the problem. I set myself as the last
          > player and now all the computer players are doing something.
          > Anyone tried to tinker with the ddl of the IA yet? I'm thinking about
          > downloading visual C++ and giving it a go.

          Thank you thank you! Now the game is much more challenging. Being
          computer challenged I played against a single opponent most of the time
          or many sometimes with all games reverting basically to a single
          opponent. Now it should/will be "my game of choice" again.