How do I get the AI to do something?

  • cpnielsen73
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 21, 2007
      I want to know how to get ultra DB AI to do something. I started a
      game and the enemy didn't start creating any units or anything. Surely
      I am not doing something correctly. I was hoping to get something that
      would test me. Is there any way to change the difficulty level of the
      AI like in the original empire?
    • andy.young.2004@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 21, 2007
        CP,
        If you want a challenging AI then play a different game.  The EDEE computer players are quite dumb, you cannot call them intelligent.  It gets worse when you add new units.

        Try EDIE with 5 computer opponents at 66% production and combat (turns into 150% advantage) and you at slight disadvantage in production and combat.  Use a medium-large size map 200x150.  I can usually win at those settings, but the game goes to 700 turns and there is always a point at which I think that there is a chance that I will lose.
        Andy a.k.a. GeneralError
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 22, 2007
          I won't defend the AI too much in this post ;> imho, the best opponent is a 'wetware' one via pbm.

          When you are a veteran player, I find even the EDIE/EDEE AI player 'out of the box'  to be quite easy to beat.
          Empire AI's do not cheat....this was an initial design decision...maybe they should cheat.

          The additional units and possibilities make life much more complex for the ai player due to this.

          That being said, I would suggest bumping up the handicaps in EDEE, as general error has done here in his EDIE configuration
          would help. More opponents help to some degree as well. And like him, you have to find your balance. This takes experimentation.

          For those that want to put more effort in creating and augmenting the AI, there are endless possibilities. There does seem to be some serious examination
          of the scripting capability by the WW2 weasel going on with his wwii mod over at salient games (www.salientgames.com),
          definitely worth looking over if you are in the dabbling mood.

          Another interesting road for AI improvement  could be the development of a mod where the AI player has EDEE like units that have some slight built in advantage.(like fighters have better range,
          one more movement point for AR's, etc.).

          And of course, the complete source for the AI player is available, and it does work with the free Microsoft visual c express compiler. However, I think those
          that have looked into this have seen the great amount of effort it would take to improve the AI player, or build a new one, and so as of the present,
          no real progress has occurred in this area. I have not posted the latest AI source code from the last patch (includes some bug fixes)
           due to the lack of interest, but the version 7 code is available on the extras page at my website. That is enough to get you
           understanding what is there.  If anyone starts getting serious about AI code development, shoot
          me a mail and I will set it up at some point.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 26, 2007
            The basic ai is not bad imo. It moves and attacks ok. Its
            production is kind of dumb because it's in a queue and it really
            makes no decisions what to produce.

            The main problem with the edee ai is all the extra units that the
            ai.dll has not been programmed to handle well. That's why the ai in
            the basic game out of the box, ultra and any other mod that has fancy
            units won't play well.

            And that's why I developed SoloMod. It has no units that the ai
            can't handle well. I think the script is as good as you can get.
            And it gives a decent game.

            --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Kinkead @ Killer Bee
            Software" <mok@...> wrote:

            > I won't defend the AI too much in this post ;> imho, the best
            opponent is a 'wetware' one via pbm.

            > When you are a veteran player, I find even the EDIE/EDEE AI
            player 'out of the box' to be quite easy to beat.
            > Empire AI's do not cheat....this was an initial design
            decision...maybe they should cheat.

            > The additional units and possibilities make life much more complex
            for the ai player due to this.

            > That being said, I would suggest bumping up the handicaps in EDEE,
            as general error has done here in his EDIE configuration
            > would help. More opponents help to some degree as well. And like
            him, you have to find your balance. This takes experimentation.

            > For those that want to put more effort in creating and augmenting
            the AI, there are endless possibilities. There does seem to be some
            serious examination
            > of the scripting capability by the WW2 weasel going on with his
            wwii mod over at salient games (www.salientgames.com),
            > definitely worth looking over if you are in the dabbling mood.
            >
            > Another interesting road for AI improvement could be the
            development of a mod where the AI player has EDEE like units that
            have some slight built in advantage.(like fighters have better range,
            > one more movement point for AR's, etc.).
            >
            > And of course, the complete source for the AI player is available,
            and it does work with the free Microsoft visual c express compiler.
            However, I think those
            > that have looked into this have seen the great amount of effort it
            would take to improve the AI player, or build a new one, and so as of
            the present,
            > no real progress has occurred in this area. I have not posted the
            latest AI source code from the last patch (includes some bug fixes)
            > due to the lack of interest, but the version 7 code is available
            on the extras page at my website. That is enough to get you
            > understanding what is there. If anyone starts getting serious
            about AI code development, shoot
            > me a mail and I will set it up at some point.
            >
            > --Mark

          • Darrell Ray
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007

              So are you offering this to all us gamers out here?  If so, how do we get it?

              Darrell

              From: "rich12545" <rich12545@...>
              To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
              Subject: [empire-deluxe] Re: How do I get the AI to do something?
              Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 03:03:44 -0000

              Software" <mok@...> wrote:

              > I won't defend the AI too much in this post ;> imho, the best
              opponent is a 'wetware' one via pbm.

              > When you are a veteran player, I find even the EDIE/EDEE AI
              player 'out of the box' to be quite easy to beat.
              > Empire AI's do not cheat....this was an initial design
              decision...maybe they should cheat.

              > The additional units and possibilities make life much more complex
              for the ai player due to this.

              > That being said, I would suggest bumping up the handicaps in EDEE,
              as general error has done here in his EDIE configuration
              > would help. More opponents help to some degree as well. And like
              him, you have to find your balance. This takes experimentation.

              > For those that want to put more effort in creating and augmenting
              the AI, there are endless possibilities. There does seem to be some
              serious examination
              > of the scripting capability by the WW2 weasel going on with his
              wwii mod over at salient games (www.salientgames. com),
              > definitely worth looking over if you are in the dabbling mood.
              >
              > Another interesting road for AI improvement could be the
              development of a mod where the AI player has EDEE like units that
              have some slight built in advantage.(like fighters have better range,
              > one more movement point for AR's, etc.).
              >
              > And of course, the complete source for the AI player is available,
              and it does work with the free Microsoft visual c express compiler.
              However, I think those
              > that have looked into this have seen the great amount of effort it
              would take to improve the AI player, or build a new one, and so as of
              the present,
              > no real progress has occurred in this area. I have not posted the
              latest AI source code from the last patch (includes some bug fixes)
              > due to the lack of interest, but the version 7 code is available
              on the extras page at my website. That is enough to get you
              > understanding what is there. If anyone starts getting serious
              about AI code development, shoot
              > me a mail and I will set it up at some point.
              >
              > --Mark

              PC Magazine�s 2007 editors� choice for best Web mail�award-winning Windows Live Hotmail.
            • rich12545
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
                This is available on the edee mods forum. I also converted almost 300
                edie scenarios and over 200 edie maps for use with this mod. That is
                also available there.
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 27, 2007
                  I think Rich's solo mod is available at www.salientgames.com , along with some other mods.

                  Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:43 AM