Looking for a better game with the AI

  • Chris Stephens
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2006
      Ok, I have extensively tested the AI with empire deluxe enhanced
      edition. While I love the game, I would like a better AI opponent.

      For example, the AI tends to prefer mass producing excessive amounts
      of transports and destroyers which ultimately end up as a waste. I've
      seen it many times just running games with just computer players.

      Anyhow, there's an issue I have with the AI not producing enough
      capital ships, especially cruisers, which are a bargain at their
      current production rate. And I've never seen the AI produce an
      aircraft carrier.
      I could be wrong, I might have seen an AI aircraft carrier, but even
      still, they produce them extremely rarely.

      I would absolutely love it, if someone went over the AI code and
      tweaked out some of the production priorities.

      Also, sometimes when I playtest AI only games, the AI doesn't expand
      from their home island at all. For some reason they never send a
      loaded transport out to conquer new islands. The AI players that do
      this, usually get creamed by the other AI players that do expand.

      Has anyone created a better AI mod?
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 25, 2006
        Hi Chris,

        Beyond any doubt there are definite improvements that can be made to the AI. I still firmly believe that
        the best AI's will come from the fans in the end. This is already evidenced by a few people work on the scripts and
        mods themelves.

        Unfortunately, due to the lack of binary compatibility of the libraries between different minor
        versions of the Microsoft Compiler and incompatibility between non-Microsoft compilers, has impeded any real
        efforts into fans adapting the AI for those particular mods, or for particular play styles.

        But hopefully that will change very soon. With the upcoming patch of EDEE, the binary will be upgraded to
        Visual Studio 8, of which Microsoft has released a free compiler for the "hobbyist" to play with. I have already had
        three individuals confirm that they can compile the AI source code and play with their own AI modules with this
        new compiler.

        It can be found here:

        The patch I mentioned should be out in a week or two. It is in the final testing throws now. Keep an eye out at http://killerbeesoftware.com  for the release.

        There is also a Yahoo mod group, which is located here.

        and several mod  folks hang out at my forums: