Empire Deluxe PBEM

  • Willem Van der Mescht
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 23, 2006
      I'm looking for someone to play a PBEM game.

      I got Empire Deluxe for Windows by White Wolf Productions. Downloaded
      it form theunderdogs.org
    • James Patterson
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 23, 2006
        Willem,
        Well, I'm certainly getting fed up with the computer
        opponents' abilities to put up a good fight. I think I
        may have gotten my copy of EDfW from theunderdogs.org,
        too, but I thought KillerBee had closed them down,
        too, lately. I finally got my old copy to start
        working again. Perhaps it did all along and I was
        concerned that it looks a bit different than ED for
        DOS, which also doesn't have the positive handicaps
        I'm just discovering. That removes neutral resistance
        as a factor to the land grab of the early stage of the
        game. I'll have to investigate PBEM before I can start
        a game with you. The last time I played a real person
        was with a roommate in 1993.
        Jim Patterson

        --- Willem Van der Mescht <willem@...>

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 23, 2006
          I will be up for a game. It has been a long time
          since I played ED though.

          Yong

          wrote:

          > I'm looking for someone to play a PBEM game.
          >
          > I got Empire Deluxe for Windows by White Wolf
          > Productions. Downloaded
          > it form theunderdogs.org

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Tim Ailes
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 23, 2006
            Hi Willem,
            I have switched to playing a newer version of Empire Deluxe. It is
            called Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition. There is support for this game
            that is up to date and I prefer that type of game. Good luck and happy
            hunting.
            Willem Van der Mescht wrote:
            > I'm looking for someone to play a PBEM game.
            >
            > I got Empire Deluxe for Windows by White Wolf Productions. Downloaded
            > it form theunderdogs.org
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Willem Van der Mescht
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 24, 2006
              Shall we make it a group game then of 4 players. Brett, Yong Park, My
              self and Gunther who emailed me directly.

              I will Set up the game with the following settings.

              Random Map of 150 x 150 - Advance mode.
              Advantage 3 for combat and Advantage 2 for production

              First player. My Self
              Then I'll send it to Gunther and asked him to pas it on to the other guys.

              If anyone don't like the setup, just hit the resign button and pass it
              on to the next player.

              And if there is a problem with compatibility between the version you
              have and what I have just send the file back to me and I'll set you as
              resigned and pas it on to the next player.

              And just a note to everyone suggesting EDEE and EDIE, I just prefer the
              simplicity of the old ED. Like to just sit back and relax while playing
              and not having to do too much thinking.
            • Brett
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 24, 2006
                > And if there is a problem with compatibility between the version you
                > have and what I have just send the file back to me and I'll set you
                > as resigned and pas it on to the next player.

                Definitely do the patch to 3.11b; if you need them I can email them,
                but they should be available at various web sites.

                > And just a note to everyone suggesting EDEE and EDIE, I just prefer
                > the
                > simplicity of the old ED. Like to just sit back and relax while
                > playing
                > and not having to do too much thinking.

                I haven't made the move to Killer Bees' Enhanced Edition for that
                reason too.

                Brett
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 24, 2006
                  EDIE is a direct port from the old 1993 code. Some extra features, and many fixes, but no rules changes.
                  Reasons to upgrade from 3.11b  to this version are modern day OS support, more stability, many people
                  use it, and you would be helping keep the game alive.

                  EDEE definitely has many changes and is a lot more to think about. It is not for everyone. Many people still prefer and purchase EDIE, though EDEE is definitely more popular.

                  In the future, both rule sets will be maintained, though the EDEE vein obviously could be subject to changes.

                  > And if there is a problem with compatibility between the version you
                  > have and what I have just send the file back to me and I'll set you
                  > as resigned and pas it on to the next player.

                  Definitely do the patch to 3.11b; if you need them I can email them,
                  but they should be available at various web sites.

                  > And just a note to everyone suggesting EDEE and EDIE, I just prefer
                  > the
                  > simplicity of the old ED. Like to just sit back and relax while
                  > playing
                  > and not having to do too much thinking.

                  I haven't made the move to Killer Bees' Enhanced Edition for that
                  reason too.

                  Brett
                • Bill Carson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 25, 2006
                    I like the original also, but  the computer opponant is to week.
                    Hav you thought of playing someone on line using the Internet version but using the rules and setup of the original?

                    Brett <BrettDM@...> wrote:
                    > And if there is a problem with compatibility between the version you
                    > have and what I have just send the file back to me and I'll set you
                    > as resigned and pas it on to the next player.

                    Definitely do the patch to 3.11b; if you need them I can email them,
                    but they should be available at various web sites.

                    > And just a note to everyone suggesting EDEE and EDIE, I just prefer
                    > the
                    > simplicity of the old ED. Like to just sit back and relax while
                    > playing
                    > and not having to do too much thinking.

                    I haven't made the move to Killer Bees' Enhanced Edition for that
                    reason too.

                    Brett

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  • Randy.R
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 25, 2006
                      EDIE is pretty much the origonal game with bug fixes, native TCPIP
                      support for network play over the internet, and an easier to use GUI.

                      EDEE can be heavily customized. It is relatively easy to tell the
                      setup not to use any of the enhanced game units. My personal opinion
                      is the AI is even dumber than it was in ED v3.11 or EDIE, if thats
                      possible, but the solomod is supposed to be a better AI that has
                      already been discussed.

                      --- Bill Carson <eqhex@...> wrote:

                      > I like the original also, but the computer opponant is to week.
                      > Hav you thought of playing someone on line using the Internet
                      > version but using the rules and setup of the original?
                      >
                      > Brett <BrettDM@...> wrote:
                      > > And if there is a problem with compatibility between the
                      > version you
                      > > have and what I have just send the file back to me and I'll set
                      > you
                      > > as resigned and pas it on to the next player.
                      >
                      > Definitely do the patch to 3.11b; if you need them I can email
                      > them,
                      > but they should be available at various web sites.
                      >
                      > > And just a note to everyone suggesting EDEE and EDIE, I just
                      > prefer
                      > > the
                      > > simplicity of the old ED. Like to just sit back and relax while
                      > > playing
                      > > and not having to do too much thinking.
                      >
                      > I haven't made the move to Killer Bees' Enhanced Edition for that
                      > reason too.
                      >
                      > Brett

                      > Service.
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      > Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low
                      rates.
                    • Bill Carson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 26, 2006
                        So you do not play over the Internet.  You mainly play against the computer?

                        I started war gaming with Avalon Hill's Tactics II.  I have always preferred the abstract war game to the simulation war game. Maybe because I was also a Chess and GO player.

                            What interested me was the implementation of  general principles like logistics, and reconnaissance and the constant need to balance limited resources.  Empire Deluxe seemed to me to balance those strategic concepts in just the right way.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 26, 2006
                          I don't mind the table top historical sims (AV's Guadalcanal was my first, Russian Campaign, Victory in the Pacific, Panzer Leader, and Squad Leader) as my college and career took me away from gaming and I never got to play the one generic board game we had, Blitzkreig.

                          I find it really difficult to get people together at the same time at the same place with enough time to play those great classic table-top games face to face. So computer games allow play without the coordination / logistics with other gamers. "Live" internet games have the problem of still requiring being available at the same time for long enough to play, so I prefer PBeM's that allow me and others to play when we can.

                          Game AI is challenging for awhile, but once you figure it out, not so much. My record is with an ED game that lasted ~1900 turns against one computer oppenent with production advantage 2 to my handicap 1. It was the large map with many islands and open seas that allowed me not to get overwhelmed, to defend against his endless incursions, and slowly find ways to make progress. There was alot of back-and-forth between the 'border' islands, and he always had my navy vastly outnumbered. It was a challenging game as predictable as the AI is; I had to have long term defense strategies and invasions were patiently prepared for, diversions made, etc.

                          What are some of the longest Empire games, human opponents or AI, that you groupies have had?

                          Brett