EDEE AI finally shows a hint of intelligence

  • Andy Young
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2005
      EDEE allows you to stack two units on the same square. The enemy can only see one unit and must eliminate both units before entering the square.

      I will often cover a transport with a plane to hide the transport from view. This can also provide a bit of extra protection because the enemy must eliminate the plane before it can attack the transport.

      I saw the AI do this today. A bomber was two squares away from a city. I had a transport in the area so the bomber was a good target. My first fighter took out the bomber and revealed the transport but the fighter lost against the transport. Other air support dispatched the transport. This was a brief glimmer of light in the EDEE AI which is usually dumber than dirt.

      "If you have enough monkeys banging randomly on typewriters, they will eventually type the works of William Shakespeare."

      Andy Young a.k.a. GeneralError
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2005
        Check out this thread, Breaker discovered MS has a free VC++ compiler now and you can build DLL's using it. Might as well add more monkeys ;>

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2005
          Whatever do you mean(scratches armpit)?

          Mark Kinkead @ Killer Bee Software wrote:

          > Check out this thread, Breaker discovered MS has a free VC++ compiler
          > now and you can build DLL's using it. Might as well add more monkeys ;>
          >

          > http://www.killerbeesoftware.com/swarm/viewtopic.php?t=613
          >
          > --Mark

        • Andrew Platfoot
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2005
            Ahhh that's what is missing. I should have built in
            some Shakespeare into the AI strategy. Less Hamlet
            more Iago with a touch of Lady Macbeth.

            By the way bananas are cheap and plentiful down here
            at this time of year.

            ;-P

            --- Tim Ailes <enpassantu@...> wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            Whatever do you mean(scratches armpit)?

            Mark Kinkead @ Killer Bee Software wrote:

            > Check out this thread, Breaker discovered MS has a
            free VC++ compiler
            > now and you can build DLL's using it. Might as well
            add more monkeys ;>

            http://www.killerbeesoftware.com/swarm/viewtopic.php?t=613

            > --Mark

          • Karawane
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 10, 2005
              Andy, I find this idea of letting an aircraft hover above your
              transport intriguing. But how do you keep the actual move of your
              transport from being reported in your enemy's recon report?

              Other question: Does anybody have experience with intercepting spy
              satellites with short range missiles? Is it a 100% chance to kill the
              satellite when you manage to reach it?

              Karawane

              --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Young" <andy.young@p...>

            • sonneborn9@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 10, 2005
                No, it is still the 50% or so depending upon the readiness of the missile and the readiness of the satellite.
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2005
                  Overhead aircraft do not hide the unit underneath. However, in combat, the overhead unit is attacked first.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 10, 2005
                    Thank you, Mark, I had assumed that, because I sometimes get confused when I have planes overflying my transports, others would not see the movement.  I was wrong.  I have confirmed that you can see overflight unit movement by pressing CTRL+F8 and you can see all units using the tree tab.

                    This might work against a human PBEM player who would need to ask for a movement report.  I sometimes get lazy if I am overconfident.  It will not work against an AI, so it can only be used as protection, not stealth.

                    -- GE