Re: [empire-deluxe] hmmm

    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
      Steve,

      The version you are using was built in 1993. Times have changed. That version become less and less playable every year, depending on your configuration.

      That's why I purchased the copyrights for ED and built Empire Deluxe Internet Edition (EDIE). I did not want to see the game die a slow death.

      EDIE works based on TCP/IP for networking. It is a direct port of the older versions, with some feature additions but no rules changes.

      Just about a year ago, I released Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition(EDEE). This does have rules changes. It does not deprecate EDIE though. Whether or not you like this version over EDIE is a matter of taste, and I always encourage ' veteran players' to look over both demos before making a decision. In the future I do plan on maintaining both types.

      The demos for both are available at http://killerbeesoftware.com/kbsgames/demos. Unfortunately, the EDIE demo does not have networking included.

      Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 9:41 AM
      Subject: [empire-deluxe] hmmm

      thanks for all your responses ... went away thinking i should check in
      a few days to see if if anyone had responded ... you are very good
      forum people :)

      ok so i am playing with Empire Deluxe

      i have a PC and laptop linked via wireless ... they are networked so
      they can see each others hard drive and stuff ... they use the same
      printer etc

      but despite all that i still need a different version? ... sheesh ...
      i really should be able to lose the empire habit by now it keeps
      costing me money

      steve

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
        Well, like I said...to be fair you CAN use what you've got if you install the Netbios stack on your various machines. It's just not usually installed by default. You CAN even get it all working using the serial port connections if you work hard at it (Bob Rakowsky said I was the only person he knew he got the full 6-player serial port connection working besides him), but it's harder than it ought to be.

        But really, the newer version is much cleaner.

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
            I recently had a disk crash and lost these wonderful maps made by someone
            who somewhere on the map put his initials "CHE" with mountain terrain.
            Where can I find these maps again?
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
              You can find them on my website at

              Grab the file under "Empire Stuff"

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
                Yes I can see them, but they appear not to be hyperlinked for downloading,
                one table of maps and another of scenarios.

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
                  Yeah, its a little backwards. That's the old page and when it moved I wrapped them all up in one bundle. Link is here:

                  Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 1:43 PM
                  Subject: Re: [empire-deluxe] 3.11 "CHE" maps

                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
                    Oh, and while we're on the subject, my favorite all time map is one he did, called ABBA (a scenario actually).

                    If you like CHE maps you might check out Dave Munson's maps, those I am not sure if he did them for ED 3.11....Dave?

                    Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 1:48 PM

                    Yeah, its a little backwards. That's the old page and when it moved I wrapped them all up in one bundle. Link is here:

                    Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 1:43 PM

                    At 12:04 PM 11/6/2005, you wrote:
                    >You can find them on my website at
                    >
                    ><http://killerbeesoftware.com/ed>http://killerbeesoftware.com/ed
                    >
                    >Grab the file under "Empire Stuff"
                    >
                    >--Mark

                  • Andy Young
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
                      Patrick,
                      You can find some CHE maps for EDIE in the files section.  These are large maps that have been tuned so that the AI actually might give you a bit of trouble.

                      -- GeneralError

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
                        He's looking for 3.11 versions.

                        Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2005 2:00 PM

                        At 12:04 PM 11/6/2005, you wrote:
                        >You can find them on my website at
                        >
                        ><http://killerbeesoftware.com/ed>http://killerbeesoftware.com/ed
                        >
                        >Grab the file under "Empire Stuff"
                        >
                        >--Mark

                      • ticdoffus
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
                          if you want to stay with 3.11...

                          --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "stevevfoster" <svfoster@b...>
                          wrote:

                          > thanks for all your responses ... went away thinking i should check
                          in
                          > a few days to see if if anyone had responded ... you are very good
                          > forum people :)
                          >
                          > ok so i am playing with Empire Deluxe
                          >
                          > i have a PC and laptop linked via wireless ... they are networked so
                          > they can see each others hard drive and stuff ... they use the same
                          > printer etc
                          >
                          > but despite all that i still need a different version? ... sheesh .
                          ..
                          > i really should be able to lose the empire habit by now it keeps
                          > costing me money
                          >
                          > steve

                        • ticdoffus
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
                            there in our file area here...labeld CHE maps

                            --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Groebner <patrick@S...>
                            wrote:

                            > I recently had a disk crash and lost these wonderful maps made by
                            someone
                            > who somewhere on the map put his initials "CHE" with mountain
                            terrain.
                            > Where can I find these maps again?

                          • Andrew Platfoot
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 6, 2005
                              Hi Steve

                              You wrote ==>>>

                              but despite all that i still need a different version?
                              ... sheesh ...
                              i really should be able to lose the empire habit by
                              now it keeps costing me money

                              steve

                              <<<==

                              It is not so much a habit but a way of life for the
                              illuminated few.

                              By the way I plug for EDEE. I like the potential
                              variability it offers. There are some mighty clever
                              mods around on the swarm forum like Oblivion's version
                              or Rich's SoloMod.

                              Choices, choices, choices ... (sigh)

                              Cheers

                              Take your Mail with you - get Yahoo! Mail on your mobile
                              http://au.mobile.yahoo.com/mweb/index.html
                            • barryem
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
                                --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Woodcock"
                                <wyrdhaven@a...> wrote:

                                > Well, like I said...to be fair you CAN use what you've got if you
                                install the Netbios stack on your various machines. It's just not
                                usually installed by default. You CAN even get it all working using
                                the serial port connections if you work hard at it (Bob Rakowsky said
                                I was the only person he knew he got the full 6-player serial port
                                connection working besides him), but it's harder than it ought to be.

                                A lot of newer computers don't come with serial ports. My new one
                                doesn't.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
                                  Hmmmm....I admit I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

                                  > Well, like I said...to be fair you CAN use what you've got if you
                                  install the Netbios stack on your various machines. It's just not
                                  usually installed by default. You CAN even get it all working using
                                  the serial port connections if you work hard at it (Bob Rakowsky said
                                  I was the only person he knew he got the full 6-player serial port
                                  connection working besides him), but it's harder than it ought to be.

                                  A lot of newer computers don't come with serial ports.  My new one
                                  doesn't.

                                  Barry

                                • Grey One
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
                                    A serial port can be added for less than 15 dollars.
                                    Hmmmm....I admit I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

                                    > Well, like I said...to be fair you CAN use what you've got if you
                                    install the Netbios stack on your various machines. It's just not
                                    usually installed by default. You CAN even get it all working using
                                    the serial port connections if you work hard at it (Bob Rakowsky said
                                    I was the only person he knew he got the full 6-player serial port
                                    connection working besides him), but it's harder than it ought to be.

                                    A lot of newer computers don't come with serial ports.  My new one
                                    doesn't.

                                    Barry

                                  • Dave Bott
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
                                      A better buy to pick up EDEE or EDIE for a few more $ :-)

                                      DAve

                                      A serial port can be added for less than 15 dollars.
                                      Hmmmm....I admit I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

                                      > Well, like I said...to be fair you CAN use what you've got if you
                                      install the Netbios stack on your various machines. It's just not
                                      usually installed by default. You CAN even get it all working using
                                      the serial port connections if you work hard at it (Bob Rakowsky said
                                      I was the only person he knew he got the full 6-player serial port
                                      connection working besides him), but it's harder than it ought to be.

                                      A lot of newer computers don't come with serial ports.  My new one
                                      doesn't.

                                      Barry

                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                       Visit your group " empire-deluxe" on the web.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 9, 2005
                                        True enough...heck, I even have a 2-port card which I originally bought so that I could hook up 4 other Empire players.