playing against each other

  • stevevfoster
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
      This question may be met with a hollow laugh

      I would like to play empire against someone else on two different
      computers in the same house

      The problem is that Empire does not seem to see our wireless
      network ... Which is kinda fair enough as things like wireless didn't
      even exist when Empire was written

      But I just wondered if there was one of those nice simple solutions
      that somebody knew about

      Oh and if they would tell me what it is :)

      i used to play empire when it was all green letters ... back in the
      day :)

      steve
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
        I assume this is the original Empire Deluxe you are referring to...I would recommend changing to EDIE which does TCP/IP connecting.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
          You didn't state what version of empire you have.

          If you have v3.11 (or so) then you should be able to configure them
          to play against each other using netbios. Netbios may be blocked by
          your router however. In which case there was a utility program which
          would allow them to play against each other knowing each other's IP
          address that emulated a serial port directed over IP.

          I suggest however, that you uprade to one of the newer versions of
          Empire either EDIE or EDEE, which are designed with modern internet
          connections in mind.

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
            I also think you'd be happier.

            BUT, if you want to use the older version it will work. You probably have to install the Netbios stack (it isn't normally installed but you've got it) and then (as the reader said below) open up your router.

            You didn't state what version of empire you have.

            If you have v3.11 (or so) then you should be able to configure them
            to play against each other using netbios. Netbios may be blocked by
            your router however. In which case there was a utility program which
            would allow them to play against each other knowing each other's IP
            address that emulated a serial port directed over IP.

            I suggest however, that you uprade to one of the newer versions of
            Empire either EDIE or EDEE, which are designed with modern internet
            connections in mind.

            --- stevevfoster <svfoster@...> wrote:

            > This question may be met with a hollow laugh
            >
            > I would like to play empire against someone else on two different
            > computers in the same house
            >
            > The problem is that Empire does not seem to see our wireless
            > network ... Which is kinda fair enough as things like wireless
            > didn't
            > even exist when Empire was written
            >
            > But I just wondered if there was one of those nice simple solutions
            >
            > that somebody knew about
            >
            > Oh and if they would tell me what it is :)
            >
            > i used to play empire when it was all green letters ... back in the
            >
            > day :)
            >
            > steve

          • Grey One
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
              I agree with the guys.  You will really like EDIE for all kinds of reasons.
              BUT, if you want to use the older version it will work. You probably have to install the Netbios stack (it isn't normally installed but you've got it) and then (as the reader said below) open up your router.

              You didn't state what version of empire you have.

              If you have v3.11 (or so) then you should be able to configure them
              to play against each other using netbios. Netbios may be blocked by
              your router however. In which case there was a utility program which
              would allow them to play against each other knowing each other's IP
              address that emulated a serial port directed over IP.

              I suggest however, that you uprade to one of the newer versions of
              Empire either EDIE or EDEE, which are designed with modern internet
              connections in mind.

              --- stevevfoster <svfoster@...> wrote:

              > This question may be met with a hollow laugh
              >
              > I would like to play empire against someone else on two different
              > computers in the same house
              >
              > The problem is that Empire does not seem to see our wireless
              > network ... Which is kinda fair enough as things like wireless
              > didn't
              > even exist when Empire was written
              >
              > But I just wondered if there was one of those nice simple solutions
              >
              > that somebody knew about
              >
              > Oh and if they would tell me what it is :)
              >
              > i used to play empire when it was all green letters ... back in the
              >
              > day :)
              >
              > steve

            • ticdoffus
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2005
                another cheesy way is to use something like
                pcanywhere...it connects by IP and you can
                see the other computers desktop...startup
                empire 3.11 and away you go...only problem
                is you can see the other players map...

                --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "stevevfoster" <svfoster@b...>