Re: [empire-deluxe] Introduction

    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 5, 2005
      Gunther,

      You should check out what has happened to Empire Deluxe while you have been gone.  The "Internet Edition" is very popular amongst classic fans and the "Enhanced Edition" is popular amongst those that want to add to the game.

      Demos for both can be found at http://killerbeesoftware.com/kbsgames/demos

      General info can be found at http://killerbeesoftware.com

      Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 4:29 PM
      Subject: Re: [empire-deluxe] Introduction

      Gunther, my old enemy, welcome back.  I think we played in a 3 on 3 game sometime in the last century.  This group is a good place to start.  You can look for opponents in Givoni's ED Ladder

      Your proposed set up is odd, I think that adding computer players introduces a random factor that can easily tilt the game heavily in favour of the player who is farthest away from the AI, but I'll try anything once.
      --
      GeneralError

      Gunther Herzog <gruumsh@...> wrote:
      Greetings, Group!

      I'm an old-time Empire player (from before there was such a thing as
      Windows), but am relatively new to playing it online. I just got back
      into the game after a long sebbatical.

      I could not get the CD version to run under Windows 2000 Pro (I kept
      getting a "Wrong Windows Versin" error), but the freebie version
      available on the various sites works fine (go figure). Incidentally I
      still can not get the setup for the scenario disk to run. Does anyone
      know where I can simply snag the scenarios as a ZIP or RAR archive?
      I'd love to get a game going in the Russian Revolution map.

      Anyway, what is the most common/popular method? My schedule seems to
      preculude "live" play, so I'm primarily interested in getting a PBEM
      going, ideally with at least 3 people.

      Proposed scenario:

      Random map, 90 x 140, no wrapping

      All human players at advantage 2 for combat & productivity
      Computer players:
      1 at Combat Adv 3, Prod Adv 1
      1 at Combat Adv 1, Prod Adv 3

      Chow for now,
      Gunther

    • Andrew Peiman
      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 6, 2005
        And pay a visit to http://www.salientgames.com to keep yourself updated and informed on
        ED related news.

        -- Breaker

        --- "Mark Kinkead @ Killer Bee Software" <mok@...> wrote:

        > Gunther,
        >
        > You should check out what has happened to Empire Deluxe while you have been gone. The
        > "Internet Edition" is very popular amongst classic fans and the "Enhanced Edition" is
        > popular amongst those that want to add to the game.
        >
        > Demos for both can be found at http://killerbeesoftware.com/kbsgames/demos
        >
        > General info can be found at http://killerbeesoftware.com
        >
        > --Mark

      • Gunther Herzog
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 7, 2005
          Hi Andy,

          --- Andy Young <gyoung1@...> wrote:

          > Gunther, my old enemy, welcome back. I think we played in a 3 on 3 game
          > sometime in the last century. This group is a good place to start. You can
          > look for opponents in Givoni's ED Ladder
          > http://www.givoni.com/empire/

          Thanks for the link, but I'm really looking for something causal, not rated
          games, tournaments, etc.

          > Your proposed set up is odd, I think that adding computer players introduces
          > a random factor that can easily tilt the game heavily in favour of the player
          > who is farthest away from the AI, but I'll try anything once.

          I guess that goes to the casual style I'm seeking here. When not in a serious
          rated game, the bit of randomness provides a little excitement. And with a
          sufficiently large map, the chances of being stuck with a nearby computer
          player are reduced.

          More on the setup:

          Players are given Adv2 on combat and production to (1) reduce randomness in
          taking neutral cities, and (2) speed up production in the beginning of the
          game.

          Computer players are set so that one has "crack troops" (Adv 2), but is slower
          in producing them (Adv 1). The other player has more poorly trained troups, but
          can crank them out faster than the players.

          I haven't tested this enough to see if it will make for an interesting game,
          but thought it might be fun to try. Also I'm not sure that one "step" will be
          significant enough to see a difference. Perhaps something like this...
          ----- HANDICAPS -----
          PLAYER COMBAT PRODUCTION
          All Humans Adv 1 Adv 1
          Computer 1 Adv 3 Slight
          Computer 2 Slight Adv 3

          Yahoo! for Good
        • whineywright
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 7, 2005
            --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Gunther Herzog <gruumsh@y...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Andy,
            >

            > --- Andy Young <gyoung1@r...> wrote:
            >
            > > Gunther, my old enemy, welcome back. I think we played in a 3
            on 3 game
            > > sometime in the last century. This group is a good place to
            start. You can
            > > look for opponents in Givoni's ED Ladder
            > > http://www.givoni.com/empire/
            >
            > Thanks for the link, but I'm really looking for something causal,
            not rated
            > games, tournaments, etc.
            >

            > > Your proposed set up is odd, I think that adding computer
            players introduces
            > > a random factor that can easily tilt the game heavily in favour
            of the player
            > > who is farthest away from the AI, but I'll try anything once.
            > >

            > I guess that goes to the casual style I'm seeking here. When not
            in a serious
            > rated game, the bit of randomness provides a little excitement.
            And with a
            > sufficiently large map, the chances of being stuck with a nearby
            computer
            > player are reduced.
            >
            > More on the setup:
            >
            > Players are given Adv2 on combat and production to (1) reduce
            randomness in
            > taking neutral cities, and (2) speed up production in the
            beginning of the
            > game.
            >
            > Computer players are set so that one has "crack troops" (Adv 2),
            but is slower
            > in producing them (Adv 1). The other player has more poorly
            trained troups, but
            > can crank them out faster than the players.
            >
            > I haven't tested this enough to see if it will make for an
            interesting game,
            > but thought it might be fun to try. Also I'm not sure that
            one "step" will be
            > significant enough to see a difference. Perhaps something like
            this...
            > ----- HANDICAPS -----
            > PLAYER COMBAT PRODUCTION
            > All Humans Adv 1 Adv 1
            > Computer 1 Adv 3 Slight
            > Computer 2 Slight Adv 3

            Hello Gunther,

            I usually play ladder games - but .... I might be interested in
            trying something like this. So long as you get other "dedicated"
            people on the "human" end (like Andy).

            Eric (Whiney Wright) Scantlebury

            P.S. And I send you my color preferences prior to start so I don't
            have to change them every move. LOL!
          • rickfite
            Message 5 of 22 , May 18, 2015

               Hi all, Mark Kinkead directed me to this group to satiate my Empire appetite!  I've been playing Empire, for, my goodness, 26 years now!  I sought you all out because I'm having a little trouble with EDEE on solo play.  I am using the Ultra DB (thanks Oblivion!), and the game tends to hang on certain unit movements, and will sometimes even enter an endless loop.  I think, anyway, because it continues to clock on the computer opponent's turn for 12+ hours.  I've let it go that long.  Also, sometimes when I move my units, it will be excrutiatingly slow.  And it is somewhat random, not affecting all of a particular unit type. Although I think the phenomenon is unique to naval units.   Anyway, just wanted to see if any of you all were having the same problem.

              I'll be playing this game in the hospice when that time comes. Not that I'm headed there anytime soon.  Just sayin...

            • spratz86
              Message 6 of 22 , May 18, 2015
                I've found similar issues when I have the strategic map or other EDEE windows open in the background.

                Sent from my iPhone

              • dsgoult@xtra.co.nz
                Message 7 of 22 , May 18, 2015
                  Have noticed the same issue in Ultra with Naval units. Believe it to be caused by calculating the nearest path home for fuel use. Naval units move normally when close to home.

                  General Evad
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 18, 2015
                    This makes sense as this is something that may not be made efficient for something like naval units... the AI could be doing home tests more than it needs to.

                    Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 3:34 PM
                    Subject: [empire-deluxe] Re: Introduction

                    Have noticed the same issue in Ultra with Naval units. Believe it to be caused by calculating the nearest path home for fuel use. Naval units move normally when close to home.

                    General Evad

                  • mhendrickson_1975
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 18, 2015
                      I've seen this too, only for naval units.  I've found the best way around it is to use the Move To order command from the orders menu.  Then, set a series of order movement points to get you to your destination in a series of small steps.
                    • rickfite
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 19, 2015

                        I wish there was a way to shut off the fuel feature of naval units.  In other words, kinda like the Empire of yore, don't do a port/remaining fuel check whenever the unit is moving.  Those checks really slow things down.