Re: [empire-deluxe] Re: Which Game Should I Buy?

  • dbott@vt.edu
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2 8:48 AM
      I figure I might throw in my $0.02.

      I have both EDIE and EDEE. I bought EDEE more to support
      the Killer Bees idea than because I was dying to have it. I
      thought it might be fun to have new units and
      customizability, but I was worried about the time
      commitment necessary to enjoy it.

      And as a former avid ED 3.11 player with little time for
      games these days, I have to say that my worries were
      justified. I've tried EDEE a few times but haven't had the
      time to really make it fun yet. OTOH I've played numerous
      EDIE games for fun by myself and a few with email
      opponents. The updated interface is wonderful for those
      happy with the units and parameters of ED. The bugs are
      gone or not a bother and this is the version I would get if
      I were just interested in rekindling the fun of ED on a new
      computer.

      If I were someone who loved ED and wanted to play again and
      I only wanted to fork over the cash for one of the two
      versions, I'd choose EDIE.

      Your mileage will vary.

      Dave
    • H101@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2 9:51 AM
        In a message dated 5/2/2005 10:54:13 AM Central Standard Time, dbott@... writes:
[...]

        I agree with Dave...  If you are really into games and spend lots of time with them, then perhaps EDEE should be your choice.  But, if you are like me and want to play an updated (a very good uppdate) of ED, then EDIE is a better choice.  I gotta' admit that I'm in a game now where having an engineer unit to build a canal would be great.  However, overall I'm not sure I want to invest the time (in elapsed time it takes to complete a game) to use all the units in EDEE.

        I also bought both versions to support Killer-Bee, Mark is doing a great job trying to keep a great game alive.

        Bill
      • H101@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2 9:53 AM
          In a message dated 5/2/2005 8:43:58 AM Central Standard Time, zardoz@... writes:
          Not to mention that EDEE lacks the ability
          to accommodate more than a single player
          on one PC.  This so-called "hot seat" play
          capability was removed in version 4.0!

          Whereas EDIE can play with up to six local
          humans, just like ED & the original Empire!

          - General ZeD
          Oooops, my reply shouda' included this point.  If you want to have someone over to play a game you have to have a license for each play.  This alone makes the choice a no-brainer.

          Bill
        • Geoffrey Brooks
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2 1:54 PM
            Hello All,

            Thanks for the responses! I'll probably end up buying both games
            to, as "ZeD" mentioned, support Killer Bee. I think it is just
            great that the game has been kept alive so long. ED has got to be
            one of the best games ever designed.

            Thanks for all the help and advice on converting my old maps and
            scenarios to EDIE. If it all works out, I'll be sure to forward
            them on to the forum for everyone's review and comment.

            I'm glad that Steve (Steve who?) thought my suggestion for an
            armoured cavalry unit was a good one. I had a few pretty good ideas
            way back when I was playing ED daily and designing maps and
            scenarios for it, but I cant remember the other ones. I hope to get
            back in the game again and remember what they were now that I know
            that someone who can actually do something is actually listening.

            All the best,

            Geoff

            --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, H101@a... wrote:

            > In a message dated 5/2/2005 8:43:58 AM Central Standard Time,
            > zardoz@c... writes:
            >
            > Not to mention that EDEE lacks the ability
            > to accommodate more than a single player
            > on one PC. This so-called "hot seat" play
            > capability was removed in version 4.0!
            >
            > Whereas EDIE can play with up to six local
            > humans, just like ED & the original Empire!
            >
            > - General ZeD
            >

            > Oooops, my reply shouda' included this point. If you want to
            have someone
            > over to play a game you have to have a license for each play.
            This alone
            > makes the choice a no-brainer.
            >
            > Bill
          • Grey One
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2 2:55 PM
              Geof,
              That would be: Steve - The Grey One
              Well, I didn't want to push both so I suggested the one with the most potential.  I do think you will not be sorry.
              Be well and happy playing,
              Steve - The EDEE and EDIE Playing Grey One.
              Thanks for the responses!  I'll probably end up buying both games
              to, as "ZeD" mentioned, support Killer Bee.  I think it is just
              great that the game has been kept alive so long.  ED has got to be
              one of the best games ever designed.

              Thanks for all the help and advice on converting my old maps and
              scenarios to EDIE.  If it all works out, I'll be sure to forward
              them on to the forum for everyone's review and comment.

              I'm glad that Steve (Steve who?) thought my suggestion for an
              armoured cavalry unit was a good one.  I had a few pretty good ideas
              way back when I was playing ED daily and designing maps and
              scenarios for it, but I cant remember the other ones.  I hope to get
              back in the game again and remember what they were now that I know
              that someone who can actually do something is actually listening.

              All the best,

              Geoff

              --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, H101@a... wrote:

              > In a message dated 5/2/2005 8:43:58 AM Central Standard Time,
              > zardoz@c... writes:
              >
              > Not to  mention that EDEE lacks the ability
              > to accommodate more than a single  player
              > on one PC.  This so-called "hot seat" play
              > capability was  removed in version 4.0!
              >
              > Whereas EDIE can play with up to six  local
              > humans, just like ED & the original Empire!
              >
              > - General  ZeD
              >

              > Oooops, my reply shouda' included this point.  If you want to
              have  someone
              > over to play a game you have to have a license for each play.
              This  alone
              > makes the choice a no-brainer.

              > Bill

            • barryem
              Message 6 of 12 , May 11 6:09 PM
                --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, dbott@v... wrote:

                > If I were someone who loved ED and wanted to play again and
                > I only wanted to fork over the cash for one of the two
                > versions, I'd choose EDIE.

                I almost agree with this. I have both games and I'm glad that I do
                but IDIE is Empire. IDEE is a pretty nice new game with a lot of
                promise. But it ain't the Empire I know and love.

                That said, it is much more like ED than Empire II, which was a totally
                different game. IDEE is pretty much the same game but not really.

                I play both games about as much but I play IDEE more in the hope that
                I'll eventually turn it into something I like better than because I
                really feel like playing it. But I usually end up enjoying it in
                spite of myself. :)