Re: Which Game Should I Buy?

  • zedzardoz
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2 6:42 AM
      Not to mention that EDEE lacks the ability
      to accommodate more than a single player
      on one PC. This so-called "hot seat" play
      capability was removed in version 4.0!

      Whereas EDIE can play with up to six local
      humans, just like ED & the original Empire!

      - General ZeD

      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Young"
      <andy.young.2004@r...> wrote:
      > Geoff,
      > I prefer EDIE over EDEE.
      >
      > EDIE has most of the original ED3.12 code. The bugs are gone and
      there are very few new bugs. It has the same feel as ED, so you will
      be comfortable using it. You can convert maps and scenarios, but not
      saved games. Most of the new features are great improvements without
      changing the nature of the game. The customizable bitmaps (skins?)
      are useful, especially the one by Dietmar Varga.

      > EDEE was re-written from the ground up. I suspect that Mark might
      have used some of the same algorithms as EDIE for things like optimal
      path from one place to another. You can convers EDIE maps and
      scenarios, but not games. EDEE games might be lost if you apply
      recent patches. There are many nice new features. There are still
      many irritants that should be addressed.

      > - unit movement is not smooth. I think that it is because the
      program does not erase the old position intil after it places the
      unit in its new position.
      > - The display has a nasty flicker every time any unit moves. This
      is most noticable if you leave "Order Points (EDIE paths)" toggled on.
      > - If two planes are heading to the same place and there are several
      ways to get there, the trailing unit will ask for instructions even
      though there is a good path to the destination.
      > - You cannot display patrol paths.
      > - An initial random game setup is never fair. I recently played a
      game where one player had eight cities on the initial island but all
      others were on a single city island.
      > - The keyboard interface is an afterthought. I find myself
      switching back and forth between the KB and mouse to complete some
      commands.

    • dbott@vt.edu
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2 8:48 AM
        I figure I might throw in my $0.02.

        I have both EDIE and EDEE. I bought EDEE more to support
        the Killer Bees idea than because I was dying to have it. I
        thought it might be fun to have new units and
        customizability, but I was worried about the time
        commitment necessary to enjoy it.

        And as a former avid ED 3.11 player with little time for
        games these days, I have to say that my worries were
        justified. I've tried EDEE a few times but haven't had the
        time to really make it fun yet. OTOH I've played numerous
        EDIE games for fun by myself and a few with email
        opponents. The updated interface is wonderful for those
        happy with the units and parameters of ED. The bugs are
        gone or not a bother and this is the version I would get if
        I were just interested in rekindling the fun of ED on a new
        computer.

        If I were someone who loved ED and wanted to play again and
        I only wanted to fork over the cash for one of the two
        versions, I'd choose EDIE.

        Your mileage will vary.

        Dave
      • H101@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2 9:51 AM
          In a message dated 5/2/2005 10:54:13 AM Central Standard Time, dbott@... writes:
[...]

          I agree with Dave...  If you are really into games and spend lots of time with them, then perhaps EDEE should be your choice.  But, if you are like me and want to play an updated (a very good uppdate) of ED, then EDIE is a better choice.  I gotta' admit that I'm in a game now where having an engineer unit to build a canal would be great.  However, overall I'm not sure I want to invest the time (in elapsed time it takes to complete a game) to use all the units in EDEE.

          I also bought both versions to support Killer-Bee, Mark is doing a great job trying to keep a great game alive.

          Bill
        • H101@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2 9:53 AM
            In a message dated 5/2/2005 8:43:58 AM Central Standard Time, zardoz@... writes:
            Not to mention that EDEE lacks the ability
            to accommodate more than a single player
            on one PC.  This so-called "hot seat" play
            capability was removed in version 4.0!

            Whereas EDIE can play with up to six local
            humans, just like ED & the original Empire!

            - General ZeD
            Oooops, my reply shouda' included this point.  If you want to have someone over to play a game you have to have a license for each play.  This alone makes the choice a no-brainer.

            Bill
          • Geoffrey Brooks
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2 1:54 PM
              Hello All,

              Thanks for the responses! I'll probably end up buying both games
              to, as "ZeD" mentioned, support Killer Bee. I think it is just
              great that the game has been kept alive so long. ED has got to be
              one of the best games ever designed.

              Thanks for all the help and advice on converting my old maps and
              scenarios to EDIE. If it all works out, I'll be sure to forward
              them on to the forum for everyone's review and comment.

              I'm glad that Steve (Steve who?) thought my suggestion for an
              armoured cavalry unit was a good one. I had a few pretty good ideas
              way back when I was playing ED daily and designing maps and
              scenarios for it, but I cant remember the other ones. I hope to get
              back in the game again and remember what they were now that I know
              that someone who can actually do something is actually listening.

              All the best,

              Geoff

              --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, H101@a... wrote:

              > In a message dated 5/2/2005 8:43:58 AM Central Standard Time,
              > zardoz@c... writes:
              >
              > Not to mention that EDEE lacks the ability
              > to accommodate more than a single player
              > on one PC. This so-called "hot seat" play
              > capability was removed in version 4.0!
              >
              > Whereas EDIE can play with up to six local
              > humans, just like ED & the original Empire!
              >
              > - General ZeD
              >

              > Oooops, my reply shouda' included this point. If you want to
              have someone
              > over to play a game you have to have a license for each play.
              This alone
              > makes the choice a no-brainer.
              >
              > Bill
            • Grey One
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2 2:55 PM
                Geof,
                That would be: Steve - The Grey One
                Well, I didn't want to push both so I suggested the one with the most potential.  I do think you will not be sorry.
                Be well and happy playing,
                Steve - The EDEE and EDIE Playing Grey One.
                Thanks for the responses!  I'll probably end up buying both games
                to, as "ZeD" mentioned, support Killer Bee.  I think it is just
                great that the game has been kept alive so long.  ED has got to be
                one of the best games ever designed.

                Thanks for all the help and advice on converting my old maps and
                scenarios to EDIE.  If it all works out, I'll be sure to forward
                them on to the forum for everyone's review and comment.

                I'm glad that Steve (Steve who?) thought my suggestion for an
                armoured cavalry unit was a good one.  I had a few pretty good ideas
                way back when I was playing ED daily and designing maps and
                scenarios for it, but I cant remember the other ones.  I hope to get
                back in the game again and remember what they were now that I know
                that someone who can actually do something is actually listening.

                All the best,

                Geoff

                --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, H101@a... wrote:

                > In a message dated 5/2/2005 8:43:58 AM Central Standard Time,
                > zardoz@c... writes:
                >
                > Not to  mention that EDEE lacks the ability
                > to accommodate more than a single  player
                > on one PC.  This so-called "hot seat" play
                > capability was  removed in version 4.0!
                >
                > Whereas EDIE can play with up to six  local
                > humans, just like ED & the original Empire!
                >
                > - General  ZeD
                >

                > Oooops, my reply shouda' included this point.  If you want to
                have  someone
                > over to play a game you have to have a license for each play.
                This  alone
                > makes the choice a no-brainer.

                > Bill

              • barryem
                Message 7 of 12 , May 11 6:09 PM
                  --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, dbott@v... wrote:

                  > If I were someone who loved ED and wanted to play again and
                  > I only wanted to fork over the cash for one of the two
                  > versions, I'd choose EDIE.

                  I almost agree with this. I have both games and I'm glad that I do
                  but IDIE is Empire. IDEE is a pretty nice new game with a lot of
                  promise. But it ain't the Empire I know and love.

                  That said, it is much more like ED than Empire II, which was a totally
                  different game. IDEE is pretty much the same game but not really.

                  I play both games about as much but I play IDEE more in the hope that
                  I'll eventually turn it into something I like better than because I
                  really feel like playing it. But I usually end up enjoying it in
                  spite of myself. :)