Re: Which Game Should I Buy?

  • Andy Young
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2005
      Geoff,
      I prefer EDIE over EDEE.

      EDIE has most of the original ED3.12 code.  The bugs are gone and there are very few new bugs.  It has the same feel as ED, so you will be comfortable using it.  You can convert maps and scenarios, but not saved games.  Most of the new features are great improvements without changing the nature of the game.  The customizable bitmaps (skins?) are useful, especially the one by Dietmar Varga.

      EDEE was re-written from the ground up.  I suspect that Mark might have used some of the same algorithms as EDIE for things like optimal path from one place to another.  You can convers EDIE maps and scenarios, but not games.  EDEE games might be lost if you apply recent patches.  There are many nice new features.  There are still many irritants that should be addressed.

      - unit movement is not smooth.  I think that it is because the program does not erase the old position intil after it places the unit in its new position.
      - The display has a nasty flicker every time any unit moves.  This is most noticable if you leave "Order Points (EDIE paths)" toggled on.
      - If two planes are heading to the same place and there are several ways to get there, the trailing unit will ask for instructions even though there is a good path to the destination.
      - You cannot display patrol paths.
      - An initial random game setup is never fair.  I recently played a game where one player had eight cities on the initial island but all others were on a single city island.
      - The keyboard interface is an afterthought.  I find myself switching back and forth between the KB and mouse to complete some commands.

      Mark, I hope you read this.
      GeneralError
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2005
        Regarding conversion of maps,

        3.12 maps (ED release 1993) can be converted to 3.5 maps(EDIE). 3.5 maps can be converted to 4.0 (EDEE).

        If you do not have EDIE, the conversion program from 3.12 to 3.5 maps is available at

        So to convert an old '93 map (v3.12), you would first run it with convert to 3.5 format, then convert it in the Map Editor to 4.0

        GE: read and noted.

        <andrew_platfoot@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Geoff
        >
        > You cannot play a saved game file out of EDIE in EDEE
        > because the .svg file structure is different.  But I
        > think Mark (the author of EDEE) has some conversion
        > tools so you can use to convert maps and scenarios.
        >
        > There was another group member (I think his handle was
        > dtsdesign) who is very good at map conversion.  If you
        > are in a hurry sniff around the killerbeesoftware site
        > under EDEE Extras there may be something there to
        > help.
        >
        > I know Mark tracks these forums so when he surfaces he
        > might be able to chip in or perhaps the venerable Grey
        > One has some suggestions?
        >
        > Cheers

        > P.S. EDEE is quite DIFFERENT. Some of the ways and
        > means you did things in ED/EDIE have changed in EDEE.
        >

        > Human nature is such that when things are not quite
        > the way we expected, we often tend to believe there is
        > something wrong with the software or it is not as
        > good.  Play a few games on huge maps and give yourself
        > a big production and combat handicap so you get lots
        > of practise  before starting your first major
        > campaign.
        >

        > --- Geoffrey Brooks <brooksge@h...> wrote:
        >
        > ---------------------------------
        > Hello Andrew,
        >
        > I think that is what I will do.  I do have one
        > question, though: can
        > one still play the original game (or something close
        > to it) if one
        > purchases EDEE?
        >

        > All the best,
        >
        > Geoff

      • zedzardoz
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2005
          Not to mention that EDEE lacks the ability
          to accommodate more than a single player
          on one PC. This so-called "hot seat" play
          capability was removed in version 4.0!

          Whereas EDIE can play with up to six local
          humans, just like ED & the original Empire!

          - General ZeD

          --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Young"

        • dbott@vt.edu
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2005
            I figure I might throw in my $0.02.

            I have both EDIE and EDEE. I bought EDEE more to support
            the Killer Bees idea than because I was dying to have it. I
            thought it might be fun to have new units and
            customizability, but I was worried about the time
            commitment necessary to enjoy it.

            And as a former avid ED 3.11 player with little time for
            games these days, I have to say that my worries were
            justified. I've tried EDEE a few times but haven't had the
            time to really make it fun yet. OTOH I've played numerous
            EDIE games for fun by myself and a few with email
            opponents. The updated interface is wonderful for those
            happy with the units and parameters of ED. The bugs are
            gone or not a bother and this is the version I would get if
            I were just interested in rekindling the fun of ED on a new
            computer.

            If I were someone who loved ED and wanted to play again and
            I only wanted to fork over the cash for one of the two
            versions, I'd choose EDIE.

            Your mileage will vary.

            Dave
          • H101@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2005
              In a message dated 5/2/2005 10:54:13 AM Central Standard Time, dbott@... writes:
[...]

              I agree with Dave...  If you are really into games and spend lots of time with them, then perhaps EDEE should be your choice.  But, if you are like me and want to play an updated (a very good uppdate) of ED, then EDIE is a better choice.  I gotta' admit that I'm in a game now where having an engineer unit to build a canal would be great.  However, overall I'm not sure I want to invest the time (in elapsed time it takes to complete a game) to use all the units in EDEE.

              I also bought both versions to support Killer-Bee, Mark is doing a great job trying to keep a great game alive.

              Bill
            • H101@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                In a message dated 5/2/2005 8:43:58 AM Central Standard Time, zardoz@... writes:
                Not to mention that EDEE lacks the ability
                to accommodate more than a single player
                on one PC.  This so-called "hot seat" play
                capability was removed in version 4.0!

                Whereas EDIE can play with up to six local
                humans, just like ED & the original Empire!

                - General ZeD
                Oooops, my reply shouda' included this point.  If you want to have someone over to play a game you have to have a license for each play.  This alone makes the choice a no-brainer.

                Bill
              • Geoffrey Brooks
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                  Hello All,

                  Thanks for the responses! I'll probably end up buying both games
                  to, as "ZeD" mentioned, support Killer Bee. I think it is just
                  great that the game has been kept alive so long. ED has got to be
                  one of the best games ever designed.

                  Thanks for all the help and advice on converting my old maps and
                  scenarios to EDIE. If it all works out, I'll be sure to forward
                  them on to the forum for everyone's review and comment.

                  I'm glad that Steve (Steve who?) thought my suggestion for an
                  armoured cavalry unit was a good one. I had a few pretty good ideas
                  way back when I was playing ED daily and designing maps and
                  scenarios for it, but I cant remember the other ones. I hope to get
                  back in the game again and remember what they were now that I know
                  that someone who can actually do something is actually listening.

                  All the best,

                  Geoff

                  --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, H101@a... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 5/2/2005 8:43:58 AM Central Standard Time,
                  > zardoz@c... writes:
                  >
                  > Not to mention that EDEE lacks the ability
                  > to accommodate more than a single player
                  > on one PC. This so-called "hot seat" play
                  > capability was removed in version 4.0!
                  >
                  > Whereas EDIE can play with up to six local
                  > humans, just like ED & the original Empire!
                  >
                  > - General ZeD
                  >

                  > Oooops, my reply shouda' included this point. If you want to
                  have someone
                  > over to play a game you have to have a license for each play.
                  This alone
                  > makes the choice a no-brainer.
                  >
                  > Bill
                • Grey One
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 2, 2005
                    Geof,
                    That would be: Steve - The Grey One
                    Well, I didn't want to push both so I suggested the one with the most potential.  I do think you will not be sorry.
                    Be well and happy playing,
                    Steve - The EDEE and EDIE Playing Grey One.
                    Thanks for the responses!  I'll probably end up buying both games
                    to, as "ZeD" mentioned, support Killer Bee.  I think it is just
                    great that the game has been kept alive so long.  ED has got to be
                    one of the best games ever designed.

                    Thanks for all the help and advice on converting my old maps and
                    scenarios to EDIE.  If it all works out, I'll be sure to forward
                    them on to the forum for everyone's review and comment.

                    I'm glad that Steve (Steve who?) thought my suggestion for an
                    armoured cavalry unit was a good one.  I had a few pretty good ideas
                    way back when I was playing ED daily and designing maps and
                    scenarios for it, but I cant remember the other ones.  I hope to get
                    back in the game again and remember what they were now that I know
                    that someone who can actually do something is actually listening.

                    All the best,

                    Geoff

                    --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, H101@a... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 5/2/2005 8:43:58 AM Central Standard Time,
                    > zardoz@c... writes:
                    >
                    > Not to  mention that EDEE lacks the ability
                    > to accommodate more than a single  player
                    > on one PC.  This so-called "hot seat" play
                    > capability was  removed in version 4.0!
                    >
                    > Whereas EDIE can play with up to six  local
                    > humans, just like ED & the original Empire!
                    >
                    > - General  ZeD
                    >

                    > Oooops, my reply shouda' included this point.  If you want to
                    have  someone
                    > over to play a game you have to have a license for each play.
                    This  alone
                    > makes the choice a no-brainer.

                    > Bill

                  • barryem
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 11, 2005
                      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, dbott@v... wrote:

                      > If I were someone who loved ED and wanted to play again and
                      > I only wanted to fork over the cash for one of the two
                      > versions, I'd choose EDIE.

                      I almost agree with this. I have both games and I'm glad that I do
                      but IDIE is Empire. IDEE is a pretty nice new game with a lot of
                      promise. But it ain't the Empire I know and love.

                      That said, it is much more like ED than Empire II, which was a totally
                      different game. IDEE is pretty much the same game but not really.

                      I play both games about as much but I play IDEE more in the hope that
                      I'll eventually turn it into something I like better than because I
                      really feel like playing it. But I usually end up enjoying it in
                      spite of myself. :)