Re: [empire-deluxe] Which Game Should I Buy?.

  • Andrew Platfoot
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
      Hi Geoff

      It is only my personal opinion of course, but perhaps
      you should down load the EDEE demo and play for a bit
      and see what you think.

      You can find it at:
      www.killerbeesoftware.com/kbsgames/demos/index.shtml

      There is nothing wrong with EDIE (the original game)
      but the moment you start to think about adding or
      changing units you have to think about EDEE as a
      better choice.

      There is now quite a forum of user and people
      modifying the EDEE game. (EDEE was designed to allow
      the user to fiddle and change as much as they want).

      So if you would like to play with mechanised units, or
      airborne re fueller or AWACS or frigates armed with
      anti sub helicopters, then you can design your own.
      Alternatively there are unit databases developed by
      others you can literally drop into the game and start
      playing.

      The downside of course is the AI is quite new and has
      no innate capacity to effectively use these fancy
      units. But again players are tweaking the AI code to
      help the AI take advantage of them. So while it is a
      minor issue for the moment, it is early days.

      The AI has a simple scripting system so once you get
      used to the syntax you can easily make changes to help
      the AI yourself.

      Of course at first this may all seem a bit
      overwhelming so it is best to start slow and just play
      the vanilla game straight out of the box until you get
      the hang of it. Then read through the various forum
      notes and then join in with your ideas and
      suggestions.

      The group could do with a few more good scenario
      designers, so if you can work in that area, that would
      be great.

      Cheers

      http://au.movies.yahoo.com
    • Grey One
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
        Hi Geoff,
        Everything he said.

        An Armored Cav unit.  Why didn't I think of that.  I was so enamored with my hovercraft, U2s, and fighter bombers.  They will definitely go into the next rev.
        That was a great idea,
        Thanks
        Steve - The usually creative Grey One

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2005
          Hello Andrew,

          I think that is what I will do. I do have one question, though: can
          one still play the original game (or something close to it) if one
          purchases EDEE?

          All the best,

          Geoff

          --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Platfoot