Re: [empire-deluxe] Digest Number 660

  • Matthew Shelton
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6 12:24 AM
      empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      There are 2 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

            1. Re: EDEE and specialties
                 From: "barryem" <barryem@...>
            2. Self-centering is doing just the opposite
                 From: "barryem" <barryem@...>

      Message: 1
         Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:07:00 -0000
         From: "barryem" <barryem@...>
      Subject: Re: EDEE and specialties

      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Platfoot
      <andrew_platfoot@y...> wrote:

      Barry

      You might find some additional challenges and fun
      setting up the strategy through scripting changes and
      then fight your war and see what sort of a
      general/admiral/air marshal you are in reality.  You
      might find like most of histories general that some of
      your war theories have weak spots.

      I know almost nothing about military strategy as such.  I used to
      love playing chess but I never understood it as a war game.  Like
      Empire, it's a game of geometry to me.  And with Empire, there's a
      little luck thrown in.

      I don't really have any interest in changing the game.  First I want
      to learn more about what all the new elements are and then I'll
      probably reduce them somewhat to simplify things.  After that it'll
      just be the fun of playing it.  It's a visual experience to me.

      I'm very glad there are people who are interested in expanding the
      game. I might want to use some of what they come up with.  But to me
      the fun is playing it.

      Going back to land locked cities and battleships and
      adding in constraints, I would offer the following
      point of view.

      My objection wasn't to having land-locked cities being able to
      produce ships.  I think that's a good idea. Especially now that I
      know ports can be built to connect to water.  But I suspect that'll
      be a very minor part of the game and having the cities specialize in
      ships takes a little away from the game as a whole.  Granted it's
      not a big thing.  Just an irksome little thing.  Maybe an option to
      allow or not allow that would make sense.

      In my case, throwing canals across large land masses continues to tickle me pink. It's a small game in itself to find the most optimal path to cut across a continent with in order to build the string of ports. The same goes for roads as well. In a recent game with a randomly-generated map, I built a canal 11 squares long using 8 ports. That section of the map was ideal for canal placement; there were a few inland sea squares and some cities in good position. The canal was meant to cut across a fairly large long continent that had a thin 'waist' to it, in order to connect the forces at the front to a pretty good production zone in the rear. Nevertheless, by the time the canal was finished, the desperate beachheads had been reinforced well enough from the smaller production zones closer by, and had already pacified the continent.

      There is maybe one criticism that could be made about ports or roads, which are the build times. The tactical situation can change quickly enough over many turns that they ends up not actually coming into play. What would qualify as a 'network' of roads doesn't seem to be practical on the conventional scale of maps (such as 100x200). By the time you have built a canal to send transports and armies across a continent to reinforce a nearby beachhead, the continent you were invading is already secure; you will be able to set up another network of cities to produce armies for you closer to the front on your new territory, making the older networks obsolete or unnecessary.

      I suppose the key to making canals and roads really work for you is to plan ahead for their use as soon as possible. Not to build them as you need them, but have your engineers and seabees in the works or coming onto station right behind your first wave of troops. If the above situation had not went as well as it did, and the continent was still in enemy hands after the canal was complete, a second invasion would have been much easier to conduct. But of course there is an opportunity cost. If you spent all your time building up your "empire" and playing Sim City, you will lose the game. You are usually better off going for a quick decapitation, rather than biding your time and getting into a drawn-out conflict.

      There is an awesome Strategy Guide waiting to be written with information such as this. I wouldn't want to write it though; I would feel like I'd be giving away all my secrets. :)

    • Andrew Platfoot
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 7 1:13 PM
        Hi

        > There is maybe one criticism that could be made
        > about ports or roads, which are the build times. The
        > tactical situation can change quickly enough over
        > many turns that they ends up not actually coming
        > into play. What would qualify as a 'network' of
        > roads doesn't seem to be practical on the
        > conventional scale of maps (such as 100x200). By the
        > time you have built a canal to send transports and
        > armies across a continent to reinforce a nearby
        > beachhead, the continent you were invading is
        > already secure; you will be able to set up another
        > network of cities to produce armies for you closer
        > to the front on your new territory, making the older

        > networks obsolete or unnecessary.

        I tend to agree with your comments. The game does not
        allow you enough time to build networks of roads and
        ports. Unlike the Civ games, if you spend your
        resources building infrastructure, you will get
        thumped especially by a human player.

        That said, roads and ports are good for building short
        cuts. So a small piece of road is good for armour to
        cross a mountain range and a port is good for building
        shortcuts for ships. But once you need more than one
        or two of them joined together is probably all too
        little too late to be of value.

        Cheers

        http://au.movies.yahoo.com
      • Andrew Platfoot
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 7 1:13 PM
          Hi

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 7 1:13 PM
            Hi

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 7 1:13 PM
              Hi

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7 1:13 PM
                Hi

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 7 1:13 PM
                  Hi

                  > There is maybe one criticism that could be made
                  > about ports or roads, which are the build times. The
                  > tactical situation can change quickly enough over
                  > many turns that they ends up not actually coming
                  > into play. What would qualify as a 'network' of
                  > roads doesn't seem to be practical on the
                  > conventional scale of maps (such as 100x200). By the
                  > time you have built a canal to send transports and
                  > armies across a continent to reinforce a nearby
                  > beachhead, the continent you were invading is
                  > already secure; you will be able to set up another
                  > network of cities to produce armies for you closer
                  > to the front on your new territory, making the older

                  > networks obsolete or unnecessary.

                  I tend to agree with your comments. The game does not
                  allow you enough time to build networks of roads and
                  ports. Unlike the Civ games, if you spend your
                  resources building infrastructure, you will get
                  thumped especially by a human player.

                  That said, roads and ports are good for building short
                  cuts. So a small piece of road is good for armour to
                  cross a mountain range and a port is good for building
                  shortcuts for ships. But once you need more than one
                  or two of them joined together is probably all too
                  little too late to be of value.

                  Cheers

                  http://au.movies.yahoo.com
                • Jack Martin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 8 4:36 PM
                    This may or may not help. I created pre-fabricated
                    units that can then be shipped somewhere and morph
                    into a port (or other things). I figured there was a
                    precedent for this with the Mulberries at Normandy so
                    your invasion can bring its own port with it. I also
                    created a special, cheap construction unit that just
                    builds roads quickly which is important for the trains
                    to run (another new unit). In fact, with what Mark
                    has created, there are very few limitations to what
                    you can do.

                    http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250