EDEE - Quick mouse trick - from the keyboarder

  • Andy Young
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2005
      Infantry is the first unit that you make in most cities. When an
      infantry gets produced, you want to know what that city is doing and
      possibly change it.

      I found a quick mouse trick to get city information for a city that
      has recently produced an infantry.

      Click on any square off of the city then double-click on the city.
      The production menu is displayed.

      If I need a kludge like this, there must be something wrong with the
      interface. I miss "survey mode" in EDIE.

      -- GeneralError
    • Andrew Platfoot
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2005
        Why not just select a city and hit F1 to get the
        production menu - it is quicker.

        Alternatively hit F5 and get the Producer Report and
        see production for all cities you own. You can even
        sort this list by clicking on the column title if you
        looking for something such as high efficiency cities
        that are not producing or specialty cities.

        The good thing about the Producer Report it is in its
        own window, which you can leave, minimised when you
        are not using it. If you run dual screens it can sit
        in on the second screen so you can keep an eye on who
        is doing what while you play on the main screen.

        If you want to get to a city in a hurry to change
        something, go to the Producer Report and left click a
        city of interest to highlight and then right click the
        city to bring up the menu. Select Focus on Unit and
        bang there it is. Then you can select the city and use
        F1 to pull up its production window if you have hidden
        it away.

        Of course with dual screens you can detach the
        production window and have it sitting there waiting
        with the Production Report as well. It is very
        customizable to your own style once you have a bit of
        a play with it.

        Cheers

        --- Andy Young <andy.young.2004@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------

        Infantry is the first unit that you make in most
        cities. When an
        infantry gets produced, you want to know what that
        city is doing and
        possibly change it.

        I found a quick mouse trick to get city information
        for a city that
        has recently produced an infantry.

        Click on any square off of the city then double-click
        on the city.
        The production menu is displayed.

        If I need a kludge like this, there must be something
        wrong with the
        interface. I miss "survey mode" in EDIE.

        -- GeneralError

        http://au.movies.yahoo.com
      • Andy Young
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2005
          Andrew,
          I was looking for a quick way to replace the EDIE ESC, ALT+I (three keystrokes)

          Select the city production takes rightClick-city, click-activate, click-cityName then F1 (or doubleLeftClick-city).  This involves switching inputs which is awkward for me.  I think that my index finger and middle finger aren't controlled by the same side of my brain.

          The click, doubleClick method seems a bit (50%) faster.  It's a matter of personal preference.

          I agree that all of the new reports are very useful.  Players must pay attention to these if they want to stay on top of the game.  It's very nice that we can issue commands from the reports.

          I still miss the survey mode.

          -- GE
          Why not just select a city and hit F1 to get the
          production menu - it is quicker.
          [ Other wonderful options and a cheery signoff ommited ]
          --- Andy Young <andy.young.2004@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------

          Infantry is the first unit that you make in most
          cities.  When an
          infantry gets produced, you want to know what that
          city is doing and
          possibly change it.

          I found a quick mouse trick to get city information
          for a city that
          has recently produced an infantry.

          Click on any square off of the city then double-click
          on the city.
          The production menu is displayed.

          If I need a kludge like this, there must be something
          wrong with the
          interface.  I miss "survey mode" in EDIE.

          -- GeneralError

          http://au.movies.yahoo.com

          Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.