Re: [empire-deluxe] Last rant about mixed up priorities

  • Matthew Shelton
    Message 1 of 56 , Nov 30, 2004
      Arnold Larson wrote:

      > Fighters still beat bombers more often, just as advertised. Infantry
      > never
      > had an advantage if they were defending a city. In a quick test with
      > version 3.11b on my Win2K system 36 attacks resulted in 18 victories,
      > just
      > as advertised.
      >
      > If your garrison is armor, or is more than one unit, then you should get
      > much better results.

      It is possible that if a player ignores terrain when attacking the
      enemy, the odds will effectively decrease, since terrain always favors
      the defense.
    • Arnold Larson
      Message 56 of 56 , Dec 9, 2004
        The two garrison units 'save' the city 7 out of 8 because 6 out of 8 they
        kill the potential attacker and of the remaining 2, 1 does not succeed in
        taking the city in its turn.

        3.11b is installed from my original floppy disks and patched to the latest.

        The battle odds seem the same between 3.11 and EDIE to me. I will admit
        that my comments on the garrison situation are theoretical because I would
        not typically leave that many units in a city. Better to use them on the
        offensive.

        Arne

        PS. I am an engineer well trained in statistical analysis, but if the
        situation being analyzed is not clearly understood, you can not get the
        right result.