Another suggestion or at least a problem to point out

  • barryem
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2004
      I play Empire on my desktop and sometimes on my laptop. Because of
      this I sometimes can't remember when I begin if I won the last game I
      played or not. So I just loaded a game that I won last night. And,
      not wanting to play it over again, I quit. If I do this enough I'll
      never get a promotion and I need the extra money and I need to be
      able to lord it over more people.

      So it occurs to me that a way to avoid this is to have an option
      that, win or lose, deletes the game when it's over.

      I'm assuming that I can't just save the game and not get credit for
      another loss since that would make it easy for me to avoid losing
      ever. And I can't be trusted not to cheat.

      Any thoughts, anyone?

      Barry
    • Andy Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
        Barry,
        I had to think a bit on this one, but that was because I don't understand your problem. Your score only changes when you win or lose. When you quit or exit (save or no save) you don't affect your player history.

        Furthermore, whether you win or lose your score always increases. For example in a person-vs-person game the victor gets 23 points and the vanquished gets 8 points. Using a HEX editor you can see this in the file edplyr.hst about 20 (0x16) bytes after your player name. If you really want to improve your rank quickly, try hacking into this file, but save a copy of it first.

        I avoid the problem of opening old games by always using the same file name for all of my games against the computer.

        There are known problems with cheaters in play-by-email games. If you don't like how the battles went, you can quit and start again. Tim Roberts tried to address this with EDSecure for ED3.12 but that was never ported to EDIE. Killer Bee Software claims that "Email play will be secure". This should protect against game restarts, peeking and bit twiddlers.

        Now, if you are cheating against the AI .... well, that's sad.

        Andy Young (GeneralError)

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2004
          --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Young" <andy.young@p...>
          wrote:
          > Barry,
          > I had to think a bit on this one, but that was because I don't
          understand your problem. Your score only changes when you win or
          lose. When you quit or exit (save or no save) you don't affect your
          player history.

          > Furthermore, whether you win or lose your score always increases.
          For example in a person-vs-person game the victor gets 23 points and
          the vanquished gets 8 points. Using a HEX editor you can see this in
          the file edplyr.hst about 20 (0x16) bytes after your player name. If
          you really want to improve your rank quickly, try hacking into this
          file, but save a copy of it first.

          > I avoid the problem of opening old games by always using the same
          file name for all of my games against the computer.

          > There are known problems with cheaters in play-by-email games. If
          you don't like how the battles went, you can quit and start again.
          Tim Roberts tried to address this with EDSecure for ED3.12 but that
          was never ported to EDIE. Killer Bee Software claims that "Email
          play will be secure". This should protect against game restarts,
          peeking and bit twiddlers.

          > Now, if you are cheating against the AI .... well, that's sad.

          I don't actually cheat but I like to avoid temptation. Now that
          you've told me that I can just stop the game without saving if things
          go wrong I'll be mightilly tempted. I always assumed that I couldn't.

          All my games are against the computer. I got into a play-by-email
          game once but the other player didn't stay with it. That's my only
          experience with a person on the other end. I think I wasn't giving
          him enough of a challange. I was losing badly. He was an
          experienced email player.

          I seem to beat the computer player more easily in this version of the
          game than I used to in the old one. I guess it must be different
          AI. Also, a lot of the things I used to notice no longer seem to be
          true. For example, an infantry in a city defending against an
          attacker won most of the time in the other one but that doesn't seem
          to be true in this one. Or at least not nearly as true.

          I've never paid much attention to player history. I just enjoy being
          told every now and then that I got a promotion. That little pat on
          the back helps keep me going.