I left out my most important suggestion but here it is

  • barryem
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 24, 2004
      The other suggestion I have is to have an order for that situation
      where I have 627 infantries and armors in a city along with a cruiser
      or two recovering from damage and the enemy comes near and I have to
      hit S 627 times carefully avoiding hitting it when the cruiser is
      shown because if I put it to sleeep I wont remember to get it back
      into action at the earliest possible time.

      I suspect that the computer players are aware of the psychological
      effect this has and make it a point to come near that city every turn
      when they can to upset and distract me. I hate being psyched out by
      my damn computer.

      Yes I know I'd miss the fun of hitting S over and over 627 times,
      turn after turn. And it would drastically reduce the length of time
      it takes to play some larger games. But I'm lazy and I want it
      anyway. :)

      Barry
    • Randy.R
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 24, 2004
        In EDIE when you put a damaged ship to sleep in a city, it
        automatically wakes up when it is repaired.

        --- barryem <barryem@...> wrote:

        > The other suggestion I have is to have an order for that situation
        > where I have 627 infantries and armors in a city along with a
        > cruiser
        > or two recovering from damage and the enemy comes near and I have
        > hit S 627 times carefully avoiding hitting it when the cruiser is
        > shown because if I put it to sleeep I wont remember to get it back
        > into action at the earliest possible time.
        >
        > I suspect that the computer players are aware of the psychological
        > effect this has and make it a point to come near that city every
        > turn
        > when they can to upset and distract me. I hate being psyched out
        > by
        > my damn computer.
        >
        > Yes I know I'd miss the fun of hitting S over and over 627 times,
        > turn after turn. And it would drastically reduce the length of
        > time
        > it takes to play some larger games. But I'm lazy and I want it
        > anyway. :)
        >
        > Barry

        http://messenger.yahoo.com
      • barryem
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 24, 2004
          --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Randy.R" <steyrhahn@y...>
          wrote:
          > In EDIE when you put a damaged ship to sleep in a city, it
          > automatically wakes up when it is repaired.

          Thanks! Why didn't I think of that! :)

          Barry
        • Matthew Shelton
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 24, 2004
            barryem wrote:

            > --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Randy.R" <steyrhahn@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > In EDIE when you put a damaged ship to sleep in a city, it
            > > automatically wakes up when it is repaired.
            >
            > Thanks! Why didn't I think of that! :)

            Isn't there a city contents menu for that now?
          • Dave Stuart
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 25, 2004
              Usually by the point you would have 627 units at a city, you will have
              other things.

              Use the "Group" or "F7" mode and put them all to sleep at one time. Go
              back, and "un-sentry" the hardware as you see fit when the next unit
              elsewhere come up for a turn. You have to play a bit of a mind game to keep
              it straight but, it's the solution I use.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 25, 2004
                --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Dave Stuart <stuartda@n...>
                wrote:
                > Usually by the point you would have 627 units at a city, you will
                have
                > other things.
                >
                > Use the "Group" or "F7" mode and put them all to sleep at one time.
                Go
                > back, and "un-sentry" the hardware as you see fit when the next
                unit
                > elsewhere come up for a turn. You have to play a bit of a mind game
                to keep
                > it straight but, it's the solution I use.

                Thats what I've been doing but it would be nice not to have to.

                Finding out that the unit wakes up when it's repaired has helped.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 25, 2004
                  Finding out that the unit wakes up when it's repaired has helped.
                  This was hugely requested by the community when EDIE was being developed. EDEE will have a separate "Full Rest/Repair"  and "Skip Turn"  orders for units.

                  > Usually by the point you would have 627 units at a city, you will
                  have
                  > other things.
                  >
                  > Use the "Group" or "F7" mode and put them all to sleep at one time.
                  Go
                  > back, and "un-sentry" the hardware as you see fit when the next
                  unit
                  > elsewhere come up for a turn. You have to play a bit of a mind game
                  to keep
                  > it straight but, it's the solution I use.

                  Thats what I've been doing but it would be nice not to have to.

                  Finding out that the unit wakes up when it's repaired has helped.

                  Barry

                • David M. Bott
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 25, 2004
                    At 10:42 AM 9/25/2004, you wrote:
                    >Thats what I've been doing but it would be nice not to have to.
                    >
                    >Finding out that the unit wakes up when it's repaired has helped.
                    >
                    >Barry

                    There's also the unit report which you can sort by type, location (by city
                    for example), status, name etc. Then pick a unit from it, view info about
                    it, change it's status, etc.. This is new in EIDE and takes some practice
                    to get used to it, but it is helpful.

                    Dave
                    David Bott david.m.bott@...
                  • barryem
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 25, 2004
                      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Bott"
                      <david.m.bott@d...> wrote:

                      > There's also the unit report which you can sort by type, location
                      (by city
                      > for example), status, name etc. Then pick a unit from it, view
                      info about
                      > it, change it's status, etc.. This is new in EIDE and takes some
                      practice
                      > to get used to it, but it is helpful.

                      I use hotkeys to get the reports so I never looked at the menus. I
                      found the units list and the city list just now. Great addition.
                      Thanks for pointing it out.