Hello

  • barryem
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2004
      I just joined the group after buying the game earlier this week. I
      thought I'd introduce myself and also make a few comments on the
      game. Mostly good, so hopefully they'll be appreciated.

      I'm a long time player of Empire, since the early days, almost
      entirely against the computer. I began with the original PC version,
      or was it the Atari version. I don't actually remember now. I
      didn't play it a lot then, not having much time for game playing. By
      the time I did, Empire Deluxe was available and I got heavily into
      that.

      I also have an HP 200LX palmtop with Empire classic installed. It
      plays great and fits in my pocket.

      I've played a lot of games off and on over the years and Empire is
      the one I keep going back to. Not that I've stayed away that long.
      I've spent countless hours, up late at night, just one more move, no
      sleep, always fighting to save my people from the oppressors. I
      guess that's a familiar story.

      This new internet version has enough very nice small improvements
      that I think it's fair to say that it's a major improvement. Once I
      figured out how to make it look like Empire Deluxe with the old
      background and icons, I bought it. Up till then I was still
      determined to find a way to play ED on XP. The new look might be
      nice, but it ain't the Empire I know and love.

      Since, hopefully, the developer is reading this, I'd like to make
      some suggestions. Who knows, he/she might like one or two of them.

      One old problem with Empire is that it's easy to get disoriented and,
      when the battles are whizzing past, not realize just what location
      it's happening in. It would be nice to have a small display of the
      screen, just something big enough to show the overall layout; land
      and sea; and a bright marker to indicate the location. Or maybe a
      box to indicate the part of the map that's on the screen. Something
      like the similar display in Age of Empires. But hopefully it
      wouldn't scroll, as the small display in Civilization does, because
      then it's not a lot of help when things get moving fast. This
      wouldn't have to be very big at all. Even postage stamp size would
      be a huge help.

      Something else that occurs to me is to put the production efficiency
      and maybe also the units available before resource drain on the main
      screen. Maybe next to the turn display.

      Another fantastic feature would be a button to turn off all
      production and then turn it back on when needed. Of course when you
      turn it back on everything starts over but all the cities start
      building the same stuff they were building.

      None of these things change the game at all. I'm pretty sure Moses
      got a commandment about the rules, and, even though that's been lost
      to history, we should still respect them. But there's a lot of room
      to improve the interface. Not change...I'm very glad it's still the
      same interface. But spruce it up a little.

      I'm looking forward to seeing the enhanced version when it comes
      available but I have a feeling that I'm gonna stay with this
      version. You guys did a great job on this.

      I'm retired now, and I have lots of time to play. Sometimes things
      just work out. :)

      Barry
    • gueretc
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2004
        Hello!
        Do you have an Empire Deluxe related web site? I am the new Empire
        Deluxe RingMaster, gueretc. You are invited to add your web site: to
        the WebRing called Empire Deluxe. On WebRing, similar sites are
        grouped together in Rings and each site is linked to another by a
        simple navigation bar. Rings are created and maintained by the
        RingMaster, who determines the look and feel of the Ring, approves
        sites submitted to the Ring, and encourages others to join.
        To become a member of this Ring, visit this URL:
        http://C.webring.com/wrman?ring=empdlx;addsite;invite=--invite--
      • Andy Young
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 11, 2004
          done:
          I guess I'll need to update it with EDIE stuff.