Re: [empire-deluxe] Empire Clone: Peoples Tactics v0.9

  • J. Russ
    Message 1 of 13 , May 16, 2004
      I tried downloading this game..."Setup files are corrupted" is the message I got.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 16, 2004
        You should read the history of empire on MOK's website, I played a version of Empire at Cal Tech during the time I was attending college there in the mid to late 80s that ran on a VAX that was similar to what People's Choice sounds like.
        Message 3 of 13 , May 16, 2004
          There are many excellent variations on the Empire theme...heck, Empire
          is itself a variation, just one that "hit".

          My library of "Empire-like" games includes several others, such as the
          Mac's Strategic Conquest and the PC's Global Conquest. They all have
          features I dearly wish Empire Deluxe (in any version) had, and Empire has
          features I wish they had.

          People's Tactics looks interesting, Victor. Thanks for letting us know
          abou tit.

> [...]
          > > and create a lot of units and change organization
          > > often. Commentary from a player: "Peoples' Tactics
          > > is an entertaining hexagonal based wargame which is
          > > available free on the web. It has both simplicity
          > > and complexity. The game can be completed in a short
          > > period of time however for those who desire to, they
          > > can spend long periods of time evaluating and
          > > replacing leaders, setting up SHQ's and THQ's to
          > > supply and lead their men and developing new
          > > resources/technologies. The game has a built-in AI
          > > as well as PBEM capabilities. The graphics are
          > > simple, but refreshing. The game includes a built-in
          > > editor which allows almost unlimited customization
          > > features. One could easily build one's own scenarios
          > > for almost any time period using the built-in game
          > > editor and a graphics editor to convert the tileset.
          > > I highly encourage you to check it out if you are

        • Victor Reijkersz
          Message 4 of 13 , May 16, 2004
            I am sorry but they work fine. What OS do you have? I tested it from win98 to winXP.
            Message 5 of 13 , May 16, 2004
              I found the source code to that version lying around
              somewhere once. I think it is in a "tar ball" archive.

              I think it was a pre graphic version though -
              everything done with characters with some weird
              messages when you gave a stupid order.

              Cheers A

              --- sonneborn9@... wrote: > You should read the
              history of empire on MOK's
              > website, I played a version of
              > Empire at Cal Tech during the time I was attending
              > college there in the mid
              > to late 80s that ran on a VAX that was similar to
              > what People's Choice sounds
              > like.

              http://au.movies.yahoo.com
            • Randy.R
              Message 6 of 13 , May 16, 2004
                The old ascii text based version of Empire, including source code,
                is available at Walter Bright's web site.

                http://www.classicempire.com/

                Anyone that's willing to spend time playing these old versions is
                likely to want to upgrade to the new and supported versions.

                There was no difference between the Vax/VMS version and the MSdos
                version as far as I could tell, and I played both of them quite a
                bit.

                One should be able to play the old MSdos version on current versions
                of Windows in a Dos window.

                Randy

                http://promo.yahoo.com/sbc/
              • sonneborn9@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 16, 2004
                  I played the DOS version, and the VAX version  I was alluding to was much different -- there was the technology/research factor (you could theoretically develope high enough to have nuclear weapons), you had to mine gold and other minerals to pay for things/have the raw material available for building, etc.  You could only give so many orders per day (each order expended Political points, and you could automate things to keep the political point expenditures to a minimum -- it was all quite complex.
                • Victor Reijkersz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 14, 2004
                    The newest version is 0.9.4. And we're nearing gold or v1.0.
                    I could use some further feedback on my game.

                    Feel free to download it at: http://www.reijkersz.nl/ptbeta

                    try it, play a PBEM game, give me feedback please.

                    regards,
                    Victor