Re: A question and a problem

  • Steve (Gryphin)
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 26, 2004
      Wondering how a bridge builder will function in the game. I can see
      how it will work across Rivers. I can't see how across bodies of
      water. If you can build one across water:
      Will it Ships be able to move under it?
      Will it convert the unit to a bridgespan?
      Thanks
      Steve

      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Kinkead @ Killer Bee

      <darksan@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Bill,
      > >
      > > Have you considered what scale this game pretends to
      > > be at? We may be talking a mile or more per hex.
      > >
      > > --- Bill Honeywell <wardpdavenport@y...> wrote:
      > > > I have often wondered why the designer(s) and
      > > > developer(s) of this greatest of all computer games
      > > > did not make it possible to build a pontoon bridge
      > > > across a river/stream that does not exceed two
      > > > squares. It should be possible to do so by the same
      > > > mechanics as converting an infantry/armor unit to an
      > > > airbase. Consider the units as engineers or seebees.
      > > > It would speed up play in cases of crossing wide
      > > > land masses. I don't think bays or inlets should be
      > > > included. Just a curiosity.
      > > > wardpdavenport@y...
      > > >

      > > > "Mark Kinkead @ Killer Bee Software"
      > > > <mok@k...> wrote:
      > > > Hey Magic,
      > > >
      > > > You have to "Use" Infantry to turn it into an AB.
      > > > The hotkey is 'U'
      > > >

      > > > The manual will load in game only if your browser is
      > > > set up to properly load an htm file when the system
      > > > tries to open it. If it is locking up on you, it may
      > > > be a memory problem (the manual is kinda big).
      > > >
      > > > I would recommend loading it manually out side of
      > > > the game. It can be found in <game's root
      > > > directory>\help\EmpireDeluxe.htm
      > > >
      > > > --Mark

      Service.
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 26, 2004
        In Empire Deluxe, 'river' squares are really just a form of land terrain. Both land units can cross them.

        I think when we talk of 'bridges' in ED, we mean roads that span over sea squares.

        In EDEE, current plans are there will be two types of Sea Squares, Shallow and Deep. Shallow will be span-able, Deep Sea will not.

        Also, bridges are roads, and roads are annotations to the map, not units. Once constructed they cannot be manipulated and are not owned by anyone. They can be destroyed.

        There will be Engineering units which can build a road/bridge in a square, if it can move into that square. It will take time for these roads/bridges to be built, based on the terrain they are being built in. The unit will be ordered to build a road.

        Yes, a Ship can occupy the same square as a unit on a bridge.

        Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 1:12 PM
        Subject: [empire-deluxe] Re: A question and a problem

        Software" <mok@k...> wrote:
        > Yes sir, they will have the ability to make roads and bridges.
        >

        > --Mark

        Service.

      • Nathan Foley
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 26, 2004

          I hope I haven’t missed some FAQ, but I have some other questions.

          What is EDEE’s relationship to EDIE?

          How is it going to work when a sub is “under” the bridge and a land unit moves onto that square?

          What is the effect of roads?  Can they be destroyed as well?

          Are there other units besides Engineer being added?  Do you have the cost and attributes laid out yet, or are you still developing those aspects of the unit?

          Old question: what exactly is the bonus for bombers against ships?  Are they the same as was used in ED?

          Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2004 1:12 PM

          Software" <mok@k...> wrote:
          > Yes sir, they will have the ability to make roads and bridges.
          >

          > --Mark

        • Andrew Peiman
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 26, 2004
            Check out the http://killerbeesoftware.com website and catch up on the forum
            http://killerbeesoftware.com/swarm for more information.

            --- Nathan Foley <bondmonger@...> wrote: > I hope I haven't missed some FAQ, but
            I have some other questions.

            > What is EDEE's relationship to EDIE?
            > How is it going to work when a sub is "under" the bridge and a land unit
            > moves onto that square?
            > What is the effect of roads? Can they be destroyed as well?
            > Are there other units besides Engineer being added? Do you have the
            > cost and attributes laid out yet, or are you still developing those
            > aspects of the unit?
            > Old question: what exactly is the bonus for bombers against ships? Are
            > they the same as was used in ED?

            === message truncated ===

            =====
            Have a nice day,