Re: CHE map #6, Large Map

  • Steve (Gryphin)
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 14, 2004
      I don't write programs because I don't have the skill. I'm going
      throgh and renaming every city as apropriately as I can.

      BTW: I was reminded I am working on Map 7.

      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, Matthias <matthias_mls@y...>
      wrote:
      > Steve (Gryphin) wrote:
      >
      > > The citie nameing is progressing steadily. While on the
      subject.
      > > Is there anyone who would like there Name / handle or variations
      on
      > > it used as city names? Is there a city in particular you would
      like
      > > named after you? Feel free to send responces to:
      > > gryph at windingstream dot com
      >
      > Why don't you name cities after their coordinates?
      >
      > Or perhaps write a program that will generate a text file of all
      > possible combinations of Greek letters and the 88 constellations
      (24 *
      > 10 * 88 = 2,112).
      > Alpha Lyrae, Pi Mensae, Zeta Reticuli ...
    • munson_de
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 14, 2004
        It was going to be map 6 because the design for map 6 was hopeless.
        After ignoring for a couple months I made map 6 work.

        --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Steve (Gryphin)"

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 14, 2004
          Would not that be more appropriate for the space theme?

          wrote:

          > Alpha Lyrae, Pi Mensae, Zeta Reticuli ...
        • Andy Young
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 15, 2004
            Munson_de,
            Thank you for the great map. The first time I tried it I ended up on
            a one city island. That presented no problem for me, but the AI does
            not handle it well. I stopped playing at turn 150 and peeked at the
            AI players. They were still at one city.

            I let my AI take over and it had no trouble rolling over the rest.

            I highly recomment restarting the game if you end up on a one city
            island.

            --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "munson_de" <munson_de@y...>
            wrote:
            > A bit different theme for this map. On this one, you are not
            directly
            > challenged for the nearest large continent. All yours. You get your
            > own continent.... Until the other AI's start landing troops from
            all
            > directions.
            >
            > Note: the other map #6 posted will become map #7 when the naming of
            > the cities is complete.
            > Note: occasionally the players are put on other small islands than
            > did not designed for. This occurs in about one game in ten. If this
            > happens do not panic: is not a bad game.

          • munson_de
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 15, 2004
              Rats. Yes. If you do find yourself starting on a single city /
              island; restart.

              Here is the design problem: The single city islands are used as a
              beacon for the AI (saying "expand this way"). The AI sees the island,
              notes that it is a low value city compared to the nearby continent.
              It will take it AFTER securing a landing on the continent. Later, it
              will see the island beyond so it next expands there. It allows the AI
              to expand in the direction it must go. It really needs to be there.

              If the single city ain't there the AI does not find the next island
              quickly enough. These small islands are the key to victory. While the
              continent allows you to survive, decisive victory comes from the
              other path. If I get rid of the single city islands & move the small
              islands closer to the starting island, the AI sometimes never expand
              to the main continent which is a guarantied loser. I can't get rid of
              it.

              When it works, the AI first expands to the large continent and then
              to his smaller island; in that order. If the program starts everyone
              on the correct island it works every time. By the time the AI reaches
              the far end of the continent it also is working on conquest from the
              smaller islands can make it difficult to hold the larger island.
              Smaller islands are spaced close enough to lead the AI's toward the
              next continent. Other islands make it easy to attack near by
              continents (or to have your continent attached).

              I have seen starting on the small islands designed to make it easy to
              conquer the continents. These are islands with five cities designed
              to help harass nearby continents. I have seen games where every one
              starts there (it makes for a intense game). I could beef up the # of
              cities on these islands but it would make it too easy to take the
              continent that way. (I try to design for passionate, intense games,
              not easy games ;-) ).

              If a AI starts on a single city island, odds are (~80%) that the
              computer will not get off the rock for hundreds of turns. Usually, if
              I give the computer a "perfect island" to start on, it cooperates.

              Sorry guys. Hopefully, with EDEE I can define possible or potential
              starting locations. Until then, the best I can do is to design (&
              limit the # of) places the computer thinks are perfect places to
              start you at. Again, while I do not want to design scenario, I would
              like to set you up for a most excellent game while retaining some
              randomness with the starting location.

              Anyone have any ideas?
            • Matthias
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 15, 2004
                munson_de wrote:

                > Rats. Yes. If you do find yourself starting on a single city /
                > island; restart.
                >
                > Here is the design problem: The single city islands are used as a
                > beacon for the AI (saying "expand this way"). The AI sees the island,
                > notes that it is a low value city compared to the nearby continent.
                > It will take it AFTER securing a landing on the continent. Later, it
                > will see the island beyond so it next expands there. It allows the AI
                > to expand in the direction it must go. It really needs to be there.
                >
                > If the single city ain't there the AI does not find the next island
                > quickly enough. These small islands are the key to victory. While the
                > continent allows you to survive, decisive victory comes from the
                > other path. If I get rid of the single city islands & move the small
                > islands closer to the starting island, the AI sometimes never expand
                > to the main continent which is a guarantied loser. I can't get rid of
                > it.
                > Anyone have any ideas?

                Why not put two low-value cities on the "pulling" islands instead of
                just one? The game engine wants to use islands with at least two
                islands, but not too many, as starting positions. I'll bet the AI was
                designed with this assumption in mind. With only one city to work with,
                it might be going into "alamo mode" and build army units endlessly until
                it feels secure enough to [re]start production on other units.
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 15, 2004
                  Maybe it should set it up as a scenario with six players...

                  > Rats. Yes. If you do find yourself starting on a single city /
                  > island; restart.
                  >
                  > Here is the design problem: The single city islands are used as a
                  > beacon for the AI (saying "expand this way"). The AI sees the island,
                  > notes that it is a low value city compared to the nearby continent.
                  > It will take it AFTER securing a landing on the continent. Later, it
                  > will see the island beyond so it next expands there. It allows the AI
                  > to expand in the direction it must go. It really needs to be there.
                  >
                  > If the single city ain't there the AI does not find the next island
                  > quickly enough. These small islands are the key to victory. While the
                  > continent allows you to survive, decisive victory comes from the
                  > other path. If I get rid of the single city islands & move the small
                  > islands closer to the starting island, the AI sometimes never expand
                  > to the main continent which is a guarantied loser. I can't get rid of
                  > it.
                  > Anyone have any ideas?

                  Why not put two low-value cities on the "pulling" islands instead of
                  just one? The game engine wants to use islands with at least two
                  islands, but not too many, as starting positions. I'll bet the AI was
                  designed with this assumption in mind. With only one city to work with,
                  it might be going into "alamo mode" and build army units endlessly until
                  it feels secure enough to [re]start production on other units.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Andy Young
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 15, 2004
                    Munson_de,
                    I am amazed at the play value that you have designed into this map.  You have been able to get the AI players to behave in a reasonable manner.  They expand about 60% as fast as I do, but with 5 of them, this could be a challenge.  I'll need to make friends with an AI, but that depends on the AI having a choice of enemies.

                    Just add a warning about starting in a single city island and you have a good map.

                    Thanks,
                    - GeneralError

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 15, 2004
                      Matthias, If I put two cities on the 'pulling' islands the computer
                      will be more inclined to have someone start there. The priority for
                      where the AI's go must first should the continent which means it
                      needs to be the closest. In the past I have put just a single dot of
                      dirt (no cities) in the direction the computer should explore but for
                      this map I am trying to prioritize the computer to two very specific
                      things.

                      Mark, I get a kick out of not knowing where I will start. Play-
                      testing, some times I do not know where I am or should go (and I drew
                      the map). Designed right, I will have one of six starting places
                      (like the prior CHE maps). Something is wrong: in the early versions
                      of this map (the final is the 26th revision or map 6, version
                      "w"
                      revision "d") it worked before without problems. I am going
                      to go
                      over the changes and see what went wrong. Keep in mind that I
                      remember playing the CHE maps over a decade. Any map I put out should
                      provide exceptional trouble-free play for as long.

                      Andy, Thanks. You may be surprised to learn that there are things
                      designed on this map to slow some of the AI's down! (Low value
                      cities
                      in the path, choke points for armor / armies / naval forces). I
                      can't
                      have the guy with the shortest direct path winning all the time.

                      Normally, if there is a perfect starting place(s) the computer will
                      always start you there every time without fail. During the last few
                      versions of this map, the program has decided that there are other
                      places. I don't know exactly what I did but it will be fixed.
                    • Steve (Gryphin)
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 16, 2004
                        How does the program select starting locations?
                        Thanks

                        wrote:
> [...]
                        > starts there (it makes for a intense game). I could beef up the #
                        of
                        > cities on these islands but it would make it too easy to take the
                        > continent that way. (I try to design for passionate, intense games,
                        > not easy games ;-) ).
                        >
                        > If a AI starts on a single city island, odds are (~80%) that the
                        > computer will not get off the rock for hundreds of turns. Usually,
                        if
                        > I give the computer a "perfect island" to start on, it cooperates.
                        >
                        > Sorry guys. Hopefully, with EDEE I can define possible or potential
                        > starting locations. Until then, the best I can do is to design (&
                        > limit the # of) places the computer thinks are perfect places to
                        > start you at. Again, while I do not want to design scenario, I
                        would
                        > like to set you up for a most excellent game while retaining some

                      • munson_de
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 17, 2004
                          From playing with it, it looks for the perfect place to start. IT
                          thinks the perfect place is an island with two cities. It will go for
                          a bit more or less. It likes to start placing the opponents equal
                          distance away from one another. I think that is one of the reasons
                          for selecting the single-city-islands. It seems when it does, mostly
                          every one starts on these places.

                          I don't know the exact rules and I wish I did. Mark?

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 17, 2004
                            I'd have to review it, I don't think I have ever looked at this..general rule in rebuilding software is not to touch a piece that is working..you know, "if it ain't broke...", so I never fully looked into that section. There was plenty that was 'broke'. ;>

                            I do know from experience with the world building and such that Baldwin did basically opt for the small island scenarios, so I would say it would tend to look for the largest set of islands with the same number cities. This set must have at least the same number of players members. If enough members of this set cannot be found, then try other things. I do not believe at this point in the game it adds cities on the fly - it makes do with what it has.

                            However, this logic will be re-written for EDEE, and I would be interested on what you guys thought were the criteria....

                            <gryphin_4x_gamer@y...> wrote:
                            > How does the program select starting locations?
                            > Thanks

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Matthias
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 17, 2004
                              Mark Kinkead @ Killer Bee Software wrote:

                              > I'd have to review it, I don't think I have ever looked at
                              > this..general rule in rebuilding software is not to touch a piece that
                              > is working..you know, "if it ain't broke...", so I never fully looked
                              > into that section. There was plenty that was 'broke'. ;>
                              >
                              > I do know from experience with the world building and such that
                              > Baldwin did basically opt for the small island scenarios, so I would
                              > say it would tend to look for the largest set of islands with the same
                              > number cities. This set must have at least the same number of players
                              > members. If enough members of this set cannot be found, then try other
                              > things. I do not believe at this point in the game it adds cities on
                              > the fly - it makes do with what it has.
                              >

                              > However, this logic will be re-written for EDEE, and I would be
                              > interested on what you guys thought were the criteria....
                              >

                              > --Mark

                              I'd like to suggest that a flag be added to the city unit class during
                              map creation which if set means the city is a valid random starting
                              position.

                              When building or generating a map, the mapmaker should be able to choose
                              whether the default value for this flag is true or false.

                              Alternatively or additionally, the engine could be given specific
                              criteria for setting or clearing this flag; for example, using the same
                              rules that EDIE has for assigning starting positions when a game is
                              started, or a minimum natural production efficiency (a city with 1% PE
                              would most likely not be intended by the author as a normal
                              unit-producing city).
                            • Andrew Platfoot
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 17, 2004
                                Hi

                                IMHO if you start at turn 1 at war with as yet
                                undiscovered opponents, you would probably like at
                                least an option of starting with equal opportunity.

                                This is probably more important in the future case
                                where the AI is a good opponent.

                                Of course if you allow for alliances or the need for
                                an event to trigger a war condition you have the
                                interesting prospect of starting with a disadvantage
                                that you must overcome through careful building and
                                exploration strategies. Some the ideas in the
                                Civilisation series such as shared maps, technology
                                and alliances against a common enemy are good
                                examples.

                                Cheers