Re: [empire-deluxe] Transport entering a city

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 15, 2003
      Now, I admit I had NOT seen this one myself....neat.

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 15, 2003
        Yup. That's the way I have played the situation. If you have units
        loaded on a transport next to a city that you want to pass through, you
        need to unload them into the city, move the transport into the city,
        load the units back on the transport, then move the transport out of the
        city. If not, you are correct; the transport looses its ability to move
        the 2nd space.

        Somewhat awkward, but that is how I have always seen ED act in that
        situation.

        spud

        =====
        | Stephen Hamel |
        | StephenHamel@... |
        | ICQ: 2802410 |
        | aka: Tabou |
        | http://www3.sympatico.ca/tabou |

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 15, 2003
          This is the way the game has worked since '93. I also do not like it much myself, but was unable to change it to any satisfaction..

          You can work around it, for it only happens if you move the TR one square at a time. If you have a TR with units that is one square north of the city and you want to pass through the city without stopping, do the mouse drag click or a Move To to the square on the opposite side of the city, and it will pass through in one turn without stopping.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 15, 2003
            That's the way I have always done it..  Works great!!

            Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 11:07 PM

            A transport containing units that enters a city loses the second move.
            But, if all units are unloaded to the city, the transport still has the
            second move to get out of the city.  Is this really a bug or not ?
            Pretty annoying for me.

            -Tabou

            =====
            | Stephen Hamel                           |
            | StephenHamel@...        |
            | ICQ: 2802410                            |
            | aka: Tabou                                 |
            | http://www3.sympatico.ca/tabou  |

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Michael Mendelsohn
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 16, 2003
              On 16 Dec 2003 , Stephen Hamel wrote about [empire-deluxe] Transport
              entering :
              > A transport containing units that enters a city loses the second move.
              > But, if all units are unloaded to the city, the transport still has the
              > second move to get out of the city.

              Another way to get around this: issue a "Move To"-order, either with
              the keyboard or with the mouse (hold button until the dotted line
              appears) that points to the square behind the city that you want to
              get to. Beware: in passing, the transport will pick up as many units
              from that city as it can possibly grab!

              mendel
              --
              The beginning starts in the middle, and the end suddenly stops.
              "Der Anfang fängt in der Mitte an, und das Ende hört plötzlich auf."
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 16, 2003
                Others in the group have covered the history of this and work-arounds.  I have a similar situation which I consider very annoying.  I am playing a mirrored game on a small battlefield against a good opponent, every lost move could hurt.  I have a transport that has an infantry on board and a city with an armor inside.  In one move, I would like to send the transport (T) through a city (A) and into square x.  This wold pick up the armor and deploy both the armor and the infantry to capture nearby cities (B and C).  By the time the transport passes B and C it will have two infantries and an armor on board.

                If I tell the transport to move directly to the final square (x) it will pass by the city, going through water (y) and not pick up the armor.  When it passes B and C it will only have three infantries.  The difference is only one turn, but that can be the difference between winning and losing.

                Is there any way to force the transport to take a specific route?  I've tried patrol and path with no success.

                Ty.B~
                ~Ax~C

                - GeneralError

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 16, 2003
                  In a message dated 12/16/2003 9:11:38 PM Central Standard Time, gyoung1@... writes:
                  Is there any way to force the transport to take a specific route?  I've tried patrol and path with no success.
                  Move it one square at a time and tell it to wait if you want to load or unload it after moving it one square, if necessary.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 16, 2003
                    Problem there is that if he enters the city to pick up the AR, the TR stops moving, (which is an excellent example of the problem with this issue previously mentioned). With out the 2 movement points for the AR on the TR, there is no way to exploit the capture of the first city by one of the three infantry by moving the AR through the captured city in the same turn to attack.

                    I think the answer is "no" if path and patrol don't work.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 17, 2003
                      On 16 Dec 2003 , Andy Young wrote:
                      > I have a transport that has an
                      > infantry on board and a city with an armor inside. In one move, I
                      > would like to send the transport (T) through a city (A) and into
                      > square x. This wold pick up the armor and deploy both the armor
                      > and the infantry to capture nearby cities (B and C).

                      > If I tell the transport to move directly to the final square (x) it
                      > will pass by the city, going through water (y) and not pick up the
                      > armor.

                      From the picture you included, I cannot reproduce this.
                      Empire pathfinding will always move the unit diagonally towards the
                      target first (unless there are obstructions), and thus for me the
                      transport always moves into the city and then on the target square
                      afterwards.

                      T_xc your
                      _C_ situation

                      Of course, there are situations where this workaround fails, e.g.
                      ___c
                      T___
                      _Cxx

                      The only option left, if you can do it, is to move an aircraft onto
                      the square you want the transport to avoid; in my example, this
                      requires two aircraft, since the transport will always detour north
                      instead of south when moving horizontally.

                      I hope this helps.
                      mendel
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 17, 2003
                        "The only option left, if you can do it, is to move an aircraft onto
                        the square you want the transport to avoid..."

                        Ooh..good one. (or another ship - something to herd it along).

                        Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 7:03 AM