Re: [empire-deluxe] help

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2003
      You should check out the new version, Empire Deluxe Internet Edition. There's a demo at http://killerbeesoftware.com It runs on ME.

      From: gueretc
      Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 9:38 PM
      Subject: [empire-deluxe] help

      In the last few months, I get a 4 mm vertical line that appears
      through the game down the left centre part of the screen.  I play the
      DOS version.  I have not made any hardware or software changes to my
      system and it seems to only affect empire deluxe.  I can't play the
      windows version.  I've tested other old DOS games and nothing
      happens.  I've reinstalled the video drivers and run econfig several
      times adjusting the settings.  I run Win Me with an 8Mb ATI Rage AGP
      video card.  Has anyone run across this before or has any suggestions?

    • David E
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 12, 2003
        This brings back memories. Yes. I did have this problem at one time.
        I think I fixed it by downloading a `updated' version of the dos game
        or changing the VGA card.

        You got any old POS, true ISA VGA cards and not fancy AGP cards?
        Geeze. Does your computer have any ISA ports anymore?

        - Dave

        --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "gueretc" <dumonster@a...>
        wrote:
        > In the last few months, I get a 4 mm vertical line that appears
        > through the game down the left centre part of the screen. I play
        the
        > DOS version. I have not made any hardware or software changes to
        my
        > system and it seems to only affect empire deluxe. I can't play the
        > windows version. I've tested other old DOS games and nothing
        > happens. I've reinstalled the video drivers and run econfig
        several
        > times adjusting the settings. I run Win Me with an 8Mb ATI Rage
        AGP
        > video card. Has anyone run across this before or has any
        suggestions?
      • Michael Mendelsohn
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 13, 2003
          On 12 Nov 2003 , gueretc wrote about [empire-deluxe] help:
          > In the last few months, I get a 4 mm vertical line that appears
          > through the game down the left centre part of the screen. I play the
          > DOS version. I have not made any hardware or software changes to my
          > system and it seems to only affect empire deluxe.

          This looks a lot like a hardware issue.
          The ed graphics can't be corrupted because then you'd be seeing the
          stripes all over the map. Possibly some memory in an area that is
          rarely used has gone bad.

          > I've reinstalled the video drivers and run econfig several times
          > adjusting the settings. I run Win Me with an 8Mb ATI Rage AGP video
          > card. Has anyone run across this before or has any suggestions?

          Which graphics settings (in edconfig) have you tried? I know it
          usually works on autodetect, but maybe in your case it doesn't. Vesa
          mode should be your best bet; also, would you be running at 16 or 256
          colors?

          To make sure it is the graphics card, a professional troubleshooter
          would likely take yours out and put another one in and see if that
          makes the problem go away.

          On the other hand, I too can recommend switching to EDIE. ;)

          Michael
          --
          The beginning starts in the middle, and the end suddenly stops.
          "Der Anfang fängt in der Mitte an, und das Ende hört plötzlich auf."
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2003
            Yea. Updating to the latest version is the way to go. The only 'dos'
            program I have and use is called xxcopy.