Re: [empire-deluxe] Patch 3.512 (was: some Great Graphics)

    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 11, 2003
      On 10 Sep 2003 , Steven Woodcock wrote about Re: [empire-deluxe]
      Patch 3.512 (wa:
      >> I think you're taking what I said out of context.
      >>
      >> I said the better general won't lose as many units, and I stand by
      >> that.
      >> If you are ruthlessly sacrificing your units into
      >> out-of-range airplane attacks and futile attacks against battleships
      >> you're not playing very well, frankly. Same goes if you let your
      >> trannies get caught loaded a lot.
      >
      >You already get a bad combat attackratio when you're attacking land
      >units with aircraft (exceptofr BO-AR, obviously), and that is exactly
      >the kind of confrontation you could get into in the situation I
      >described. I don't see how that makes one a bad general.

      I personally have no idea what the "combat attack ratio" is for any
      particular combat,
      having not bothered to study it as deeply as some have. What's a BO-AR?

      >> I think the better player balances his production efficiency with
      >> his unit production and unit loss--and that's what the event
      organizer was trying to measure.

      >That's not what you measure with # of units lost. This depends
      >entirely on the random generator and the chances you have when
      >entering combat - if you enter lots of combats with good odds (such
      >as attacking TR), you'll lose less units as if you accept worse odds.

      Please pay attention to what I said was measured, a VARIETY of DIFFERENT
      statistics. You're focusing
      on one of many.

      Over time the RNG is balanced (hard to believe much of the time, I'll
      grant), so that's not really a factor. I guess
      it is important that it be balanced when there is a major confrontation--the
      "battle that decides the war"--but those
      are hard to predict.

      >Now I agree in the real world this is certainly the mark of a good
      >general, but it doesn't necessarily help you win empire games if you
      >already need to retire cities to keep up your prod. eff.

      I'm astonished by how many players do this.

      >If you have a choice of either not producing a unit, or producing a unit
      that
      >comes up quickly to the the front and is lost quickly there, it makes
      >sense to maybe produce fighters and smash them against enemy cities.
      >It'll hurt the enemy more than producing nothing.

      That's actually what I do. While this will increase your unit losses it
      will ALSO decrease his unit production and
      overall efficiency--two of the other factors measured in the Tacticon
      tourneys. It works out to the benefit overall
      of the better general.

      >What does count is repairing units, but I repair far less units than
      >I lose, because I incur most losses on land units and aircraft, which
      >can rarely be repaired, so repairing is not a big factor re: unit
      >count.

      I forget--is there a stat for number of units repaired in the new
      Empire? That could be interesting (though I tend to run
      my units into the ground, I must admit).

      Steve
    • Andy Young
      Message 47 of 47 , Sep 15, 2003
        I have been playing with different styles of maintaining production.

        I have tried keeping my production up by turning off production is
        backwater cities. Consider the situation.
        City Count 128, Units 451, Cities producing 37 [8+7+16+3+1+1+1],
        Overall Production Efficiency 379%
        By observation I see that I'm producing about 10 units per turn.

        Turning on the production in ten cities will increase the cities
        producing by 25% but will reduce overall production efficiency by
        only 15% to 323%. The result is a net increase in production of 10%.

        Turning on the production in all cities will increase the cities
        producing by 3.45 times but will reduce overall production efficiency
        by about 1/3 to 133%. The result is a net increase in production of
        20%.

        You can tweak this further.
        Turning the production to 100 cities will increase the cities
        producing to 2.7 times the original but will reduce overall
        production efficiency by about 1/2 to 174%. The result is a net
        increase in production of 24%.

        I applied these calculations to other games that I played and the
        results vary greatly. Sometimes you can maximumize production by
        keeping production at 400%, sometimes you need to turn all cities on.

        Conclusion:
        ED remains a great game with subtleties beyond comprehension.

        GeneralError