[empire-deluxe] Re: Password question...

  • Ironhat, Glenn
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999
      Game Over man...

      GAME OVER

      > Interest Group'
      > Subject: Password question...
      >

      > Hello,
      >
      > This is strange question and I hope none of my Empire competitors think
      > I'm
      > trying to cheat.
      >
      > Is there any way to recover a Empire password?
      >
      > I'm in a six player game and one of the players has forgotten his
      > password.
      > Yeah, I know. We should have had a password keeper. Well we didn't. :\
      >
      > Any assistance would be appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Chris
      >
      > Christopher Ross
      > Level Designer
      > LucasArts Entertainment Co.
      > x8445

    • Andy Young
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999
        Sorry, Chris, one-way encryption on passwords means they cannot be decoded.  This isn't our Chocolate game, since we do have a password keeper.

        However, Tim Roberts wrote EDSecure (in beta testing) which is a secure shell around ED.  It drives the logon screen filling in the player and password.  I'm sure that he could do the opposite and write an anti-security shell that crunches through the 2 billion six-character (alphabetic + numbers) passwords.  But if he did, he would have a tough time finding people to play against.

        I'm not too worried about Tim's programming skills since ED can only do about 4 passwords per second, so it will take almost 5 days to find a 4 digit password, half a hear to find a 5 digit password and 17.5 years for a six digit password.  If you have an idea what letters were used, then the time is reduced dramatically.  You can also reduce the time if you know that you used real words as a password.  If you get many computers working night and day on it, you could have your match going again in about a month or two, assuming that you can find a programmer with the skill and time to write the code.

        +--------------------------+------------------------------------------+
        | Andy Young               |"There are only two truly infinite things,|
        |        aka GeneralError  |   the universe and human stupidity.      |
        | gyoung1@...         |   And I am unsure about the universe."   |
        | members.home.net/gyoung1 |                    - Albert Einstein     |
        +--------------------------+------------------------------------------+

        --
        +--------------------------+------------------------------------------+
        | Andy Young               |"There are only two truly infinite things,|
        |        aka GeneralError  |   the universe and human stupidity.      |
        | gyoung1@...         |   And I am unsure about the universe."   |
        | members.home.net/gyoung1 |                    - Albert Einstein     |
        +--------------------------+------------------------------------------+

      • Bill -DNME- Conlon
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999

          Chris Ross wrote:

[...]

          Instead of saying "game over" in a 6-player, I think it might be more accurate to say "start over".  You can't go on with one player down, so you have to start again.  Just so long as the offending player takes a severe beating for this, and remembers next time to use his mother's name for a password!! -- III

        • Ironhat, Glenn
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 10, 1999
            >Instead of saying "game over" in a 6-player, I think it might be more
            accurate to say >"start over". You can't go on with one player down, so you
            have to start again. Just >so long as the offending player takes a severe
            beating for this, and remembers next >time to use his mother's name for a
            password!! -- III

            They might be able to start the same game over, but I doubt that they would
            want to. It depends how far along they are.

            So if it is the case that they don't want to start over, that game is over.

            Anyway I was just playing the phrase from arcade games (you know it's over
            when you see "GAME OVER") and combining with the line from the Aliens movie.

            But it's not funny if you have to explain it so just forget it. :-P

            --

            Glenn
          • Roto
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
              I ahve seen that people think they forgot their password, but in reality it
              got changed somehow, like a corruption. I had this happen to me in a 2
              player game.

              At 01:29 PM 11/10/99 -0800, Ironhat, Glenn wrote:
              >>Instead of saying "game over" in a 6-player, I think it might be more
              >accurate to say >"start over". You can't go on with one player down, so you
              >have to start again. Just >so long as the offending player takes a severe
              >beating for this, and remembers next >time to use his mother's name for a
              >password!! -- III
              >
              >They might be able to start the same game over, but I doubt that they would
              >want to. It depends how far along they are.
              >
              >So if it is the case that they don't want to start over, that game is over.
              >
              >Anyway I was just playing the phrase from arcade games (you know it's over
              >when you see "GAME OVER") and combining with the line from the Aliens movie.
              >
              >But it's not funny if you have to explain it so just forget it. :-P
              >

              >--
              >
              >Glenn

              -Roto-
              http://home.earthlink.net/~roto23
            • Tim Roberts
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 12, 1999
                Andy - you forgot that I have a P120 so you will need to double your estimates!  Of couse if Chris is willing to donate a faster computer - I would give it a try  ;)

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 14, 1999
                  Chris Ross wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > This is strange question and I hope none of my Empire competitors think I'm
                  > trying to cheat.
                  >
                  > Is there any way to recover a Empire password?
                  >
                  > I'm in a six player game and one of the players has forgotten his password.
                  > Yeah, I know. We should have had a password keeper. Well we didn't. :\
                  >
                  > Any assistance would be appreciated.

                  I imagine that you could crack it with enough time, computing power
                  and encryption know-how. I sincerly hope that you don't attempt it.
                  This game has suffered enough from those who exploit it's
                  security weaknesses. There is no single game worth risking this
                  kind of exposure. While your motives may be above reproach, we have
                  all seen that there are some who would take this knowledge and use
                  it in less than honorable ways. Scrap the game, start a new one
                  (with a password keeper) and write it off as tuition for a good
                  lesson in game management.

                  Bob J.