How do you play via internet?

  • Wayne
    Message 1 of 25 , May 1, 2003
      I am a new member and was wondering if there's any way to play over
      the net. I have a cable modem and don't have a phone modem.
      Can anyone help?
      Message 2 of 25 , May 1, 2003
        Wait just a few more days and the new version of Empire (from
        www.killerbeesoftware.com) will support it seamlessly....

        Message 3 of 25 , May 3, 2003
          If you're playing the B map in the tourney feel free to give
          me C&C on the map. Is there anything you love/hate about
          it...anything you would like different? Anything that you don't think
          works out....etc.

          (I know some of you have given me comments already, but I wanted
          to check with all of you now that you have played it a while.)

          And don't be shy, feel free to hang me high if you hate it.. =)

          - Seb -
        • Randy.Rick
          Message 4 of 25 , May 7, 2003
            Its not on the main BMT web page yet, but the link to order it is up
            at:

            https://secure.bmtmicro.com/ECommerce-Custom/empiredeluxe.html

            I'm downloading the game while I type this.

            steyrhahn

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • David M. Bott
            Message 5 of 25 , May 7, 2003
              At 10:00 AM 5/7/2003, you wrote:

              >Its not on the main BMT web page yet, but the link to order it is up
              >at:
              >
              >https://secure.bmtmicro.com/ECommerce-Custom/empiredeluxe.html
              >
              >I'm downloading the game while I type this.

              Thanks! I got it and have it downloaded too.

              DAve
              David Bott david.m.bott@...
            • Fubster
              Message 6 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                I've got mine!! :-)

                -Fub
                >Its not on the main BMT web page yet, but the link to order it is up
                >at:
                >
                >https://secure.bmtmicro.com/ECommerce-Custom/empiredeluxe.html
                >
                >I'm downloading the game while I type this.

                Thanks!  I got it and have it downloaded too.

                DAve
              • J. Russ
                Message 7 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                  C'mon you slackers!  I haven't seen a tourney announced.  I would say the release of 3.5 is good reason for a new one.  I've got my copy.

                  Cheers!
                  Jason

                  Message 8 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                    I actually asked this same question in Killer Bee's forum about 2 weeks ago (Re: Staus Report: A Demo? going Gold?, 4/22).  No responses...

                    -Fub

                    C'mon you slackers!  I haven't seen a tourney announced.  I would say the release of 3.5 is good reason for a new one.  I've got my copy.

                    Cheers!
                    Jason

                    >Its not on the main BMT web page yet, but the link to order it is up
                    >at:
                    >
                    >https://secure.bmtmicro.com/ECommerce-Custom/empiredeluxe.html
                    >
                    >I'm downloading the game while I type this.

                    Thanks!  I got it and have it downloaded too.

                    DAve

                  • Arnold Larson
                    Message 9 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                      Perhaps the fact that there is a email tournament already in progress
                      reduces the need. Another couple weeks and it will be time for a live one
                      again though.

                      Which of you two is going to run it?

                      >From: "Fubster" <Fubster@...>
                      >To: <empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: RE: [empire-deluxe] ED Internet Version 3.5
                      >Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:49:12 -0400
                      >
                      >I actually asked this same question in Killer Bee's forum about 2 weeks ago
                      >(Re: Staus Report: A Demo? going Gold?, 4/22). No responses...
                      >
                      >-Fub

                    • J. Russ
                      Message 10 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                        I nominate Fub.

                        Perhaps the fact that there is a email tournament already in progress
                        reduces the need.  Another couple weeks and it will be time for a live one
                        again though.

                        Which of you two is going to run it?

                        >From: "Fubster" <Fubster@...>
                        >To: <empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: RE: [empire-deluxe] ED Internet Version 3.5
                        >Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:49:12 -0400
                        >
                        >I actually asked this same question in Killer Bee's forum about 2 weeks ago
                        >(Re: Staus Report: A Demo? going Gold?, 4/22).  No responses...
                        >
                        >-Fub

                      • Sebbie
                        Message 11 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                          At 13:02 2003-05-07 -0700, you wrote:
                          Perhaps the fact that there is a email tournament already in progress
                          reduces the need.  Another couple weeks and it will be time for a live one
                          again though.

                          Which of you two is going to run it?

                          I assume the next round will be played using the Internet version..
                          If not I suspect dropouts... *cough* *cough*

                          =))

                          - Seb -

                        • Fubster
                          Message 12 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                            LOL, I take it neither one of you ever actually went back to the forum and read my post!  As I stated there, I cannot run one, the time commitment for that is more than I can handle.  Plus, if I did, it would be run MY way...

                            27 players
                            3 players per group (small RR style, each player would have 2 games to play, only one player per group advances)
                            All games are scenarios with exploration turned off.

                            Hmmmm, maybe I *should* run it...

                            No, No, NO!!!  I can't!

                            -Fub

                            Perhaps the fact that there is a email tournament already in progress
                            reduces the need.  Another couple weeks and it will be time for a live one
                            again though.

                            Which of you two is going to run it?

                            >From: "Fubster" <Fubster@...>
                            >To: <empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com>
                            >Subject: RE: [empire-deluxe] ED Internet Version 3.5
                            >Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:49:12 -0400
                            >
                            >I actually asked this same question in Killer Bee's forum about 2 weeks ago
                            >(Re: Staus Report: A Demo? going Gold?, 4/22).  No responses...
                            >
                            >-Fub

                          • Andrew Peiman
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                              I'm wondering, who is the lucky person to buy EDIE first?

                              --- "J. Russ" <jruss@...> wrote: > I nominate Fub.

                              =====
                              Have a nice day, Andrew.
                              Webmaster of The Empire Vault - http://mirrordns.com/empirevault
                              Webmaster van 'De Spoorzoekers' - http://mirrordns.com/despoorzoekers

                              Yahoo! Plus
                              For a better Internet experience
                              http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer
                            • Fubster
                              Message 14 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                                OK, this is getting eerie, yet another point I raised in the same post on 4/22...here is the text from that post, just for the record:
                                -------------------------
                                Woohoo! I can't wait! A few questions for the community:

                                I wonder how many copies will sell on the first day, and who will be the first. I would be interesting to run a pool - with the funds going to the person who buys the first copy. Of course, how to validate? And how to get money, etc. I guess it will just have to be a status and gloating thing.

                                Is anyone planning on starting a mini-tourney to coincide with the release of the product? I am definitely in for a PBEM tourney, although I cannot run one, and would prefer something with RR groups of no more than 4 players...

                                Has anyone else (beta testers, I guess) created any graphic and/or sound templates to replace the defaults that come with the game? As people do, we should definitely post those, probably to the yahoo group (this board does not support uploading files, does it?)

                                Thanks Mark, for all of your work, and for making this a reality!!
                                -------------------------

                                Also, for the record, my receipt from BMT Micro is time-stamped 11:05 AM EDT.

                                -Fub

                                Message 15 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                                  And it was this question that triggered my question, just for the record ;-)

                                  I have a timestamp of 16:14 GTM+1 that would be 9.14am EST if I'm correct.

                                  --- Fubster <Fubster@...> wrote: > OK, this is getting eerie, yet another point

                                  =====

                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 7, 2003

                                    Has anyone else (beta testers, I guess) created any graphic and/or sound templates to replace the defaults that come with the game? As people do, we should definitely post those, probably to the yahoo group (this board does not support uploading files, does it?)

                                    Ok...I guess I feel confident enough now to admit it....I am working on a DLL for
                                    the Internet Edition (and have for a few weeks now). The DLL can be called instead
                                    of the 3.11 or 3.5 random generation of maps thingy.

                                    I have been reluctant to make this 'official' since it would add pressure on me, and I
                                    started it as a fun coding project to see if I could get back into the saddle (coding).

                                    It is however going better than I had hoped, and I am beginning to feel confident I
                                    both can and will finish it.

                                    I will write more details about what I have done and plan in a few days, and also
                                    ask if anyone is interested in seeing what I have done so far and helping out
                                    with c&c and ideas etc.

                                    It uses an ini file and it is highly configurable/tweakable.

                                    Also, for the record, my receipt from BMT Micro is time-stamped 11:05 AM EDT.

                                    -Fub

                                    Mine is:
                                    Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 10:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

                                    You are slow   8)

                                    - Seb -

                                  • Randy.Rick
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                                      Here's my timestamp from the return email:

                                      steyrhahn

                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                                        I am sure that most players will be upgrading, but there are bound to be
                                        holdouts. I see no reason why the holdouts cannot continue to use 3.1 while
                                        the rest use 3.5. Upgrading will NOT be required.

                                        Arne

                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                                          I second that, for what it's worth.

                                        • maucoin@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 7, 2003
                                            In a message dated 5/7/2003 4:43:30 PM Central Standard Time, WinkThom@... writes:

                                            WinkThom@...

                                            My address is Maucoin@... however I haven't had time to download the internet edition yet.  I put you on my buddy list.
                                            Message 21 of 25 , May 8, 2003
                                              My father officially purchased the first copy of Empire Deluxe Internet Edition. (happened before May 7th).

                                              As far as purchases on May 7th(the public Internet Release), I cannot release customer information, but there were three seperate orders that came in like real quick as soon as I put the page up (shortly after 9:35 EST), before I could blink or send out the announcements. They had to of been trolling the site. First one in was 37 minutes past 9am EST.

                                              All I will say is the first purchase of the day was from Arizona. ;>

                                              Please read the credits section in the manual and you will see many of the fine ED Community members who helped guarantee the quality of the game. I'm sure we will find some bugs, and I will soon post a list of issue on my site. (the beauty of bugs in ED now is that they can be fixed!). But all in all it works very well. They are to be thanked.

                                              Thanks for your support and I'm glad you're excited.  Make sure you spread the word, for this is very important to the success and future of the game. There were many people who played ED in the past that would love to play it again.

                                              There was a map DLL that was floating around the beta.  I also recieved some graphics, but it is up to the individuals to release those.And of course Cruzan Wallis can crank out maps till the cows come home. I would like to encourage those of you who will make unit sets, terrain sets DLLs, maps and scenarios to share them with us.

                                              Again, thank you all who have or are planning to purchase the game.

                                              I'm wondering, who is the lucky person to buy EDIE first?

                                              --- "J. Russ" <jruss@...> wrote: > I nominate Fub.

                                            • david_givoni
                                              Message 22 of 25 , May 8, 2003
                                                I have thought of organizing a live tournament, not necessarily with
                                                the new version only, but LIVE so that it would evolve quicker. I
                                                thought of adding some tournament organizing features to the Ladder-
                                                website, so that the administration could go easier, but I´m not sure
                                                I'll have enough time for it (still a lot of things on the website-
                                                todo-list), and I don't know if I have experience enough with the
                                                tournaments to organize one myself. But I'd be glad to help out with
                                                it, if somebody else wants to be the chief.

                                                /Givoni
                                                Message 23 of 25 , May 8, 2003

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , May 8, 2003
                                                    What's the purchase web site again please?
                                                  • Matthias
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , May 9, 2003
                                                      David M. Bott wrote:

                                                      > At 11:31 PM 5/8/2003, you wrote:
                                                      > >A day has not passed that EDIE hasn't been played here.
                                                      >
                                                      > So how are people pronouncing EDIE?
                                                      >
                                                      > Like Eddy?
                                                      >
                                                      > Like Eee Dee (as in the nick name for Edith?)
                                                      >
                                                      > I often want to drop the last E and make it EDI. I don't like typing so
                                                      > many characters :-)
                                                      >
                                                      > I do like the game!

                                                      Just call it ED. What we have now, *is* ED. ED is dead, long live ED! If
                                                      you must qualify it, ED is the living version, ED(3.11) is the dead one.

                                                      --

                                                      Matthias of the Far Woods (matthew shelton)
                                                      E-mail: matthias_mls@...