Cheating in tournament

  • adastra1960
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 16, 2003
      I posted the following in response to some discussions about how to
      eliminate cheating in the new version of ED. No one took the bait.
      Now that I have had to consider the cheating issue for the tournament
      I will post it again and observe that I played chess for several
      years and am quite satisfied with the concept of 'touch move'. I
      would claim that the only excuse for replaying any part of your turn
      is that the computer crashed.

      Arne

      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Arnold Larson"
      <adastra1960@h...> wrote:
      > Temptations can be gray, too.
      >
      > If I decide it is OK to restart the turn because my 3 year old put
      her pudgy
      > fingers on my keyboard while I was playing, am I cheating?
      >
      > What if my finger slipped?
      >
      > What if I hit the keyboard twice but the unit I was looking for
      showed up
      > after the first move and, of course, I would not have pressed the
      key a
      > second time if I had been paying attention?
      >
      > What if I just forgot that I should have moved a different unit
      first?

      > Arne

    • Sebbie
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 16, 2003
        > Temptations can be gray, too.
        >
        > If I decide it is OK to restart the turn because my 3 year old put
        her pudgy
        > fingers on my keyboard while I was playing, am I cheating?

        It depends on if you would gain any advantage from replaying the turn or not. And, how
        far into the turn you are. I would avoid it and take the loss if I could. Next time I would
        try to keep my daughter away from the keys when I played..

        > What if my finger slipped?

        Happens often to me when I play fast...and is certainly not a
        reason to replay the turn.

        > What if I hit the keyboard twice but the unit I was looking for
        showed up
        > after the first move and, of course, I would not have pressed the
        key a
        > second time if I had been paying attention?

        Also happens to me...and I have to pay the price each time. It is my own mistake and
        there's noone to blame.

        > What if I just forgot that I should have moved a different unit
        first?

        Not even close to being a reason..

        My views..  =)

        Also, on the odd times that Empire crashed on me or the computer hung...I had no choice
        but to replay the turn of course...but when this happens I make sure to move each unit as
        I did last time and not make use of any intel I might now have. I just close my eyes and
        run into the trap one more time...  =/
        It isn't my opponent's fault if my computer dies, and he shouldn't have any negative result
        from that event either. Sometimes, even when moving the units the same way it may be in
        another order and thus effect combat which makes it trickier. If it's an important combat
        coming up I make a 'combat save' and see if I get the same result as last time. If I do, I
        save the game and continue. If I don't, I reload the game and try to move a unit and make
        an unimportant combat elsewhere in the world and then save again...and try the important
        combat again. I guess you could call this reverse cheating...but I want to feel good with
        myself, and I wouldn't do that had the computer crash turned the game into my favor and
        actually been a good thing for me. I want to win, and I will struggle hard for it...but in
        the end it is more important to know that I have done everything I can to do so fairly.

        - Seb -