Re: [empire-deluxe] New member of group says hi

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
      Welcome aboard, Eric!

      From: "Eric Draves" <zoom98@...>
      To: <empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 11:09 PM
      Subject: [empire-deluxe] New member of group says hi

      > Just wanted to say "hi". I found ED on my hard drive mysteriously. I
      > must've DLed it from the-underdogs.org but I don't remember doing
      > it. Strange.
      >
      > My history of playing Empire goes back a long way, strangely without
      > actually playing the game until last week!
      >
      > I first heard about it in Joystik Magazine, mentioned as being on
      > Plato terminals. Next year I had access to a Plato terminal and I
      > saw a multiplayer space game (Spacewar?) being played on it. I
      > asked them if that was Empire and they said yes. (Typical college
      > riff-raff, not knowing what they were playing.)
      >
      > That was back around 1984. A few years later I walk into an Egghead
      > Software store and decide to buy what little software remains for
      > Apple II. I bought John Madden Football (a BIIG mistake) and a game
      > called Strategic Conquest II by PBI Software. Never heard of it, but
      > I was hooked.
      >
      > In case you don't know, Strategic Conquest II (I call it StratCon 2)
      > is almost exactly like Empire (the original, not DE), except all the
      > continents are ovals, the bombers use nuclear weapons and obliterate
      > everything within a blast radius so you have to reconquer cities,
      > armies are stackable on land, and there are minor things that make
      > sense such as fighters have 20 fuel and move 10 per turn, etc. Also
      > it had killer AI (15 levels of difficulty, and I never beat level
      > 10)!
      >
      > That thing ate up years of my time. In fact, until I was able to get
      > ED, I refused to do away with my Apple! I'm going to throw it away
      > finally now. If anyone would like my StratCon 2 disk to make a disk
      > image for emulation purposes, feel free to write me at
      > zoom@....
      >
      > Another game you ED fans might be interested in is Advance Wars for
      > Game Boy Advance, it adds some interesting things to ED such as
      > vehicles and commander powerups. Its AI is terrible but it makes up
      > for that with really tough scenarios.
      >
      > Anyway, I'll be messing with ED PBEMs as soon as I get a chance
      > (eternally busy). I won't be able to participate in the current PBEM
      > tournament, but possibly the next one...!

    • Surly Facebusta
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
        welcome! my icq # is 143702014. want to play online.

        >From: "Eric Draves" <zoom98@...>
        >To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [empire-deluxe] New member of group says hi
        >Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 06:09:11 -0000
        >
        >Just wanted to say "hi". I found ED on my hard drive mysteriously. I
        >must've DLed it from the-underdogs.org but I don't remember doing
        >it. Strange.
        >
        >My history of playing Empire goes back a long way, strangely without
        >actually playing the game until last week!
        >
        >I first heard about it in Joystik Magazine, mentioned as being on
        >Plato terminals. Next year I had access to a Plato terminal and I
        >saw a multiplayer space game (Spacewar?) being played on it. I
        >asked them if that was Empire and they said yes. (Typical college
        >riff-raff, not knowing what they were playing.)
        >
        >That was back around 1984. A few years later I walk into an Egghead
        >Software store and decide to buy what little software remains for
        >Apple II. I bought John Madden Football (a BIIG mistake) and a game
        >called Strategic Conquest II by PBI Software. Never heard of it, but
        >I was hooked.
        >
        >In case you don't know, Strategic Conquest II (I call it StratCon 2)
        >is almost exactly like Empire (the original, not DE), except all the
        >continents are ovals, the bombers use nuclear weapons and obliterate
        >everything within a blast radius so you have to reconquer cities,
        >armies are stackable on land, and there are minor things that make
        >sense such as fighters have 20 fuel and move 10 per turn, etc. Also
        >it had killer AI (15 levels of difficulty, and I never beat level
        >10)!
        >
        >That thing ate up years of my time. In fact, until I was able to get
        >ED, I refused to do away with my Apple! I'm going to throw it away
        >finally now. If anyone would like my StratCon 2 disk to make a disk
        >image for emulation purposes, feel free to write me at
        >zoom@....
        >
        >Another game you ED fans might be interested in is Advance Wars for
        >Game Boy Advance, it adds some interesting things to ED such as
        >vehicles and commander powerups. Its AI is terrible but it makes up
        >for that with really tough scenarios.
        >
        >Anyway, I'll be messing with ED PBEMs as soon as I get a chance
        >(eternally busy). I won't be able to participate in the current PBEM
        >tournament, but possibly the next one...!

      • Tobias Kramer
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
          Hello Eric,

          am Sonntag, 1. Dezember 2002 um 07:09 Uhr schrieben Sie:

          Welcome and try http://www.empiredeluxe.de Enjoy!

          --
          Mit freundlichen Grüßen
          ____
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
            Very cool. I spent years in college playing Strategic
            Conquest. For me, it was really the first version of
            Empire. Finding Empire in early 1995 was really like
            finding Strategic Conquest all over again.

            The strategic bombers, while destabilizing, are a lot
            of fun. I wish Empire had that as an option.

            For my money, any SC veteran who comes across Empire
            is sure no newbie! Welcome aboard.

            Matt

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • Arnold Larson
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2002
              Walter Bright reports that the authors of Strategic Conquest tried to sue
              him until they found out that he was the original author of Empire.

              To quote myself on the tournament website "Slow play may prevent you from
              winning the tournament, but just because you have a real life should not
              prevent you from playing", so you should give it a try.

              On the other hand, I eat lunch at my desk while I play, so I may not be the
              best judge. On the third hand, it only takes about ten minutes per turn.

              Arne

              >From: "Eric Draves" <zoom98@...>
              <snip>