Re: [empire-deluxe] Empire-like game project

  • JavaKnight
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002

      Raven,

      I have been playing Empire Deluxe for more than 10 years. One feature I never liked in Empire was that planes, ground / surface units and subsurface ships (subs) were all moving on the same 2D plane.  I thought it be more realistic to have 3 levels: air, ground/surface and subsurface. Then planes would have the option of attacking ground / surface units or flying over them. Subs would have the option of moving on the surface or subsurface. It never made sense to me that air unit flying above the ground would blindly attack a sub moving below the surface. As a programmer I do not see this being too difficult to implement in the code.  Anybody have any comments as to how they feel about adding this type of feature?

      Thanks, Bob :-)

       robocoderaven <raven@...> wrote:

      Hi, there!

        I've been planning on a freeware Empire-like game for a while now.
      I have some things figured out, but there are still many questions
      unanswered. I thought maybe you guys could give me a hand here.

        The game is going to be played on a hex-based board with plains,
      hills, mountains, seas and rivers all affecting movement and battle.
      There's going to be national borders, but no diplomacy.

      The questions are:
      1) Would you like the game placed in 15th, 21st or 30th century?
      2) Would you like it to be turn based or real time?
      3) What units would you like to have included?
      4) Do you want to play live (using TCP/IP) or by sending emails?
      5) How many players should be able to take part in a game?
      6) Any other ideas?

      I may add some level of diplomacy later, but I want to keep it simple
      for now. PBeM is obviously out of the question in case of a turn
      based game.

      email me (raven@...) or post on this list.

      Thanks,
         "Raven" Suominen

      Do you Yahoo!?
      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

    • Matthew Shelton
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
        JavaKnight wrote:

        > Raven,
        >
        > I have been playing Empire Deluxe for more than 10 years. One feature
        > I never liked in Empire was that planes, ground / surface units and
        > subsurface ships (subs) were all moving on the same 2D plane. I
        > thought it be more realistic to have 3 levels: air, ground/surface and
        > subsurface. Then planes would have the option of attacking ground /
        > surface units or flying over them. Subs would have the option of
        > moving on the surface or subsurface. It never made sense to me that
        > air unit flying above the ground would blindly attack a sub moving
        > below the surface. As a programmer I do not see this being too
        > difficult to implement in the code. Anybody have any comments as to
        > how they feel about adding this type of feature?

        The RTS game "Total Annihilation" allows combat units to be given
        standing firing orders which are (IIRC) Hold Fire, Return Fire, and Fire
        At Will .... fairly self-explanatory. For a turn-based game only the
        first and last options would be meaningful; i.e., 'do not attack' and
        'always attack'. It would also be a nice option to allow units with 2 or
        more points of armor to withdraw if they take too much damage instead of
        two units always fighting to the death.
      • JavaKnight
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 15, 2002
          Matthew,

          Empire Deluxe has always been a fight to the death. I
          like your idea taking one or more shots at the enemy
          and withdrawing before you die. This feature would
          definitely change ones attack and defense strategy.

          Bob
          :-)

          http://webhosting.yahoo.com