Re: [empire-deluxe] Digest Number 259

  • David M. Bott
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2002
      At 11:46 AM 10/13/2002, you wrote:
      > They presume dishonesty on the part of the player. I've stayed in
      > games for 4 years straight; I don't need to prove to anybody that I'm reliable.

      Actually, we used a password keeper so that if someone dropped off the
      internet somehow (lost ISP, changed email and didn't think to tell others,
      or, God forbid, actually died) that the game could continue with another
      player filling in. It had nothing to do with cheating, and it's as much
      for the reliable person's benefit -- why would you want to end up with a
      game stuck because someone ELSE had an unfortunate accident or was
      unreliable. That's a lot of effort to waste.

      The world is not perfect and a little insurance isn't a bad thing. OTOH,
      everyone has their preferences. I've lost a few friends I've known only
      over the internet and it's not always the case that their family care or
      know to contact email correspondents.

      Dave
      David Bott david.m.bott@...