3387Re: [empire-deluxe] Digest Number 783

  • Matthew Shelton
    Aug 3, 2006
      empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      > There are 2 messages in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1a. Re: newbie here
      > From: David Bott
      > 1b. Re: newbie here
      > From: Steven Woodcock
      >

      > Messages
      >
      > 1a. Re: newbie here
      > Posted by: "David Bott" daybed@... lwulffe_doc
      > Date: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:30 pm (PDT)
      >
      > Option C: If in a coastal city, start by building a transport, then
      > explore with it while you build armor/infantry to capture other
      > cities. I usually start building a plane with my second captured
      > city for quicker recon, but using the transport as a recon while
      > waiting for land units is not bad. And sending the transport blindly
      > with a couple of armor in a given direction (I usually try looking at
      > where I am on the map and sending the transport towards the center of
      > the map) will give you a second base to expand from, meaning you
      > won't have all your eggs in one basket if there is early contact.
      >
      > If you don't have a coastal city, then build the plane first to scout
      > and as soon as it's done, switch to land units and get that second city!
      >
      > All the best,
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > At 10:58 PM 7/27/2006, you wrote:
      >
      >> The Tutorials are in Help Tutorial, but you are probably asking for
      >> a starting strategy. You might try downloading the EDIE demo and
      >> start a game with computer players only. Watching the EDIE AI will
      >> give you some hints. Pay no attention to the EDEE AI, it is dumb as dirt.
      >>
      >> Option A (used by EDIE)
      >> Start with one plane, Bomber or Fighter. They move quickly so they
      >> can explore to find cities for you to capture. If you find that you
      >> are unlucky and are on an island with only one city, start
      >> again. There is no attempt to balance the initial starting cities
      >> in EDEE. Start producing infantry or armor to capture cities on
      >> your initial island. When you think you have enough land units to
      >> capture all of the remaining cities on that island, you can start
      >> producing a transport. Choose the city that will make a transport
      >> as soon as possible.
      >>
      >> Option B
      >> Start producing infantry. You will need them anyway, to capture
      >> cities. If you make 3 infantry and don't know where any other
      >> cities are, make a bomber or fighter to explore faster, but you
      >> should probably restart, because there is only one city on your
      >> island. Once it looks like you have enough cities to complete
      >> taking over the island, start making a transport to be completed as
      >> soon as possible and make a plane in another city. The plane should
      >> be ready first and should be able to find some offshore cities.
      >>
      >> Andy

      I have to disagree here... your first unit should always be either an
      infantry, armor, or fighter. Unless you start in a city that happens to
      have another one of a decent efficiency in visual range (2 squares),
      build the fighter and set it to explore. You can cover a /lot/ more
      ground with a fighter than you could with the transport because of its
      speed and visual range, as well as find any nearby cities. Even if you
      are stuck somehow on an initial island city, an initial fighter is your
      best best since it might locate a nearby continent with more cities.

      While building a transport is very important for expansion, unless you
      know /where/ to send your troops, you won't know how best to deploy them
      for maximum expansion when you try to expand into all the
      high-efficiency cities you can find (although you might leave alone some
      high-eff cities and/or take some medium- or even low-eff cities if the
      strategic situation calls for it). In some cases, taking the
      higher-efficiency city that's a little farther away may be better for
      you; the sooner you can crank out a local infantry or armor unit to
      start taking over that continent after the initial landing, the better.

      Also, you will need to prepare to make more fighters for that initial
      expansion phase. Perhaps even set one city on a newly added continent to
      build fighters there so as to explore the nearby waters, if none of your
      preexisting exploring fighters will soon be on their way to do that
      themselves.

      Look at it another way: Any time you are using your transport to explore
      anything but a continent's coastline, you are expanding inefficiently
      and are therefore surrendering territory to the enemy. Your fighters
      should be spreading all over the map, with their reach being boosted by
      the cities you locate and capture for them. Try to figure out how many
      fighters it would take to cover exploration in all eight directions; not
      too many fighters that it will slow down your army and transport
      production, but enough that you aren't leaving any frontiers untouched.

      Eventually you will need one or more destroyers, but don't build them
      too soon. Short of very early contact, in the opening game you should
      only worry about having enough transports to ferry your troops around.
      Surplus troops waiting in a city to be sent off, or empty transports
      waiting more than one turn to be filled is evidence of an unbalanced
      production line (this is more excusable in the first few turns when you
      might only have one to three cities in the game, period). It is better,
      though, to have one or two too many transports, since you can always put
      at least one or two guys on a surplus TR and send them off to a newly
      discovered continent to gamble on taking at least one city for your trouble.

      --

      Matthew Shelton (in Memphis)
      Sq. Matthias Fleewinter