3108Re: Which Game Should I Buy?

  • zedzardoz
    May 2, 2005
      Not to mention that EDEE lacks the ability
      to accommodate more than a single player
      on one PC. This so-called "hot seat" play
      capability was removed in version 4.0!

      Whereas EDIE can play with up to six local
      humans, just like ED & the original Empire!

      - General ZeD

      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Young"
      <andy.young.2004@r...> wrote:
      > Geoff,
      > I prefer EDIE over EDEE.
      >
      > EDIE has most of the original ED3.12 code. The bugs are gone and
      there are very few new bugs. It has the same feel as ED, so you will
      be comfortable using it. You can convert maps and scenarios, but not
      saved games. Most of the new features are great improvements without
      changing the nature of the game. The customizable bitmaps (skins?)
      are useful, especially the one by Dietmar Varga.

      > EDEE was re-written from the ground up. I suspect that Mark might
      have used some of the same algorithms as EDIE for things like optimal
      path from one place to another. You can convers EDIE maps and
      scenarios, but not games. EDEE games might be lost if you apply
      recent patches. There are many nice new features. There are still
      many irritants that should be addressed.

      > - unit movement is not smooth. I think that it is because the
      program does not erase the old position intil after it places the
      unit in its new position.
      > - The display has a nasty flicker every time any unit moves. This
      is most noticable if you leave "Order Points (EDIE paths)" toggled on.
      > - If two planes are heading to the same place and there are several
      ways to get there, the trailing unit will ask for instructions even
      though there is a good path to the destination.
      > - You cannot display patrol paths.
      > - An initial random game setup is never fair. I recently played a
      game where one player had eight cities on the initial island but all
      others were on a single city island.
      > - The keyboard interface is an afterthought. I find myself
      switching back and forth between the KB and mouse to complete some
      commands.

      > Mark, I hope you read this.
      > GeneralError

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic