      Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 2:38 PM
      Subject: [empire-deluxe] Re: Which Game Should I Buy?

      Geoff,
      I prefer EDIE over EDEE.

      EDIE has most of the original ED3.12 code.  The bugs are gone and there are very few new bugs.  It has the same feel as ED, so you will be comfortable using it.  You can convert maps and scenarios, but not saved games.  Most of the new features are great improvements without changing the nature of the game.  The customizable bitmaps (skins?) are useful, especially the one by Dietmar Varga.

      EDEE was re-written from the ground up.  I suspect that Mark might have used some of the same algorithms as EDIE for things like optimal path from one place to another.  You can convers EDIE maps and scenarios, but not games.  EDEE games might be lost if you apply recent patches.  There are many nice new features.  There are still many irritants that should be addressed.

      - unit movement is not smooth.  I think that it is because the program does not erase the old position intil after it places the unit in its new position.
      - The display has a nasty flicker every time any unit moves.  This is most noticable if you leave "Order Points (EDIE paths)" toggled on.
      - If two planes are heading to the same place and there are several ways to get there, the trailing unit will ask for instructions even though there is a good path to the destination.
      - You cannot display patrol paths.
      - An initial random game setup is never fair.  I recently played a game where one player had eight cities on the initial island but all others were on a single city island.
      - The keyboard interface is an afterthought.  I find myself switching back and forth between the KB and mouse to complete some commands.

      Mark, I hope you read this.
      GeneralError