2828RE: [empire-deluxe] Re: Last rant about mixed up priorities

  • Arnold Larson
    Dec 9, 2004
      The two garrison units 'save' the city 7 out of 8 because 6 out of 8 they
      kill the potential attacker and of the remaining 2, 1 does not succeed in
      taking the city in its turn.

      3.11b is installed from my original floppy disks and patched to the latest.

      The battle odds seem the same between 3.11 and EDIE to me. I will admit
      that my comments on the garrison situation are theoretical because I would
      not typically leave that many units in a city. Better to use them on the
      offensive.

      Arne

      PS. I am an engineer well trained in statistical analysis, but if the
      situation being analyzed is not clearly understood, you can not get the
      right result.

      >From: "barryem" <barryem@...>
      >To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [empire-deluxe] Re: Last rant about mixed up priorities
      >Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 04:07:11 -0000
      >

      >--- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "Arnold Larson"
      ><adastra1960@h...> wrote:
      > > It was clear enough to me. Obviously you 'defend' the city by
      >attacking the
      > > unit next to the city before it gets to attack you. My test with
      >version
      > > 3.11b was 36 infantry in cities attacking infantry when they were
      >moved next
      > > to the city. It turned out exactly 50%. Your results should vary
      >only
      > > slightly.
      >
      >Well, that is the scenario I was talking about. Were you actually
      >using 3.11b itself or EDIE in 3.1 mode?
      >
      > > Having more than one unit in the city as you suggested you actually
      >did will
      > > significantly change the odds of saving the city. Two garrison
      >units should
      > > 'save' the city 7 times out of 8.
      >
      >It isn't enough protection in EDIE. And where do you get those
      >odds? It seems to me (and I admit I'm no statistician) that if
      >having one defender gives 1:1 odds, having two would give 3:1. What
      >am I missing?
      >
      >Barry
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 56 messages in this topic