2704Re: Poor AI and poor computer strength allocation

  • barryem
    Oct 4, 2004
      --- In empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com, "David M. Bott"
      <david.m.bott@d...> wrote:

      > FWIW, the original Railroad Tycoon was right there for me with the
      games
      > you mention. It still beats all the other later fancy ones with
      eye-candy
      > because it's FUN. The others may be MORE realistic, but who wants
      that in
      > a past time? I didn't become a business executive in real life and
      the
      > closer to "real" the game gets, the more I find I don't want to be
      one in
      > game life either. Same with war. I don't want to have to be the
      person
      > making the command decisions that gets people killed. ED and EDIE
      are fun
      > to play because they exercise the mind at a level that doesn't
      necessarily
      > drain you as the real life version would do.

      I completely agree. I suppose realism is nice but I want good game
      play. There's not much that's real about ED. The rules are designed
      to make it a good game.

      Civilization and Age of Empires are the same sort of game in some
      ways, with heavy emphasis on realism. While they're very elaborate
      and there is much that's realistic about them, overall they're no
      more real than ED and playing them isn't nearly as much fun.