2532RE: [empire-deluxe] Third party to start ladder games.

  • Arnold Larson
    Mar 10, 2004
      I now have 7 players who will be willing to be known as someone who will act
      as third party to start games. If you want to add your name to the group,
      now is a good time. For those who are participating please answer the
      following.

      1) Do you want only those in the group to know who you OR are you willing
      to give out your email address to a broader distribution, i.e. tournament
      players, ladder players, yahoo group, ...?
      2) What email address do you want to use?
      3) Do you own EDIE?

      Steve Woodcock noted that he prefers totally random maps. I almost agree.
      I do not prefer mirrored maps, but I want to improve the chances for
      balance. In one map I created recently I simply made a random map and then
      added the players' starting cities where it looked like it should be fairly
      balanced. If Steve did not know that I had spent 5 minutes to do that he
      would not know it was not quite random. On another map made for me the
      cartographer used Fubster's dll. I recognize that it is not the ED 3.12 map
      generator, but it still feels random and it is providing a good contest.

      Arne
      empiredeluxe@...
      http://home.comcast.net/~empiredeluxe/

      >From: "Arnold Larson" <adastra1960@...>
      >To: empire-deluxe@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [empire-deluxe] Third party to start ladder games.
      >Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:41:26 -0800
      >
      >I would like to create a pool of people who will agree to make (EDIE) maps
      >for PBEM ladder games. I will be happy to provide this service to anyone
      >who will also sign up to provide the service for others.
      >
      >I posted the snippet below on the Killerbee forum without getting much
      >comment. If you have any ideas for improving the procedure, let us know.
      >
      ><QUOTE>
      >I have created balanced maps and started games a couple of times now and
      >have asked someone to do this for me. I think this is an important service
      >because most (6 out of 8) random maps I have played recently have clearly
      >allowed an advantage to one player or the other.
      >
      >We used the following procedure:
      >1) The players create a .ssu file for the coordinator with a simple
      >password
      >that can be known to anyone; i.e., name =GC pw=GC
      >2) A computer is put in as player 2 to allow player 1 to resign without
      >activating a bug which otherwise messes up the first turn
      >3) The players become player 3 and 4
      >4) The coordinator starts the game and resigns immediately
      >5) The coordinator sends to the first human and the game is played normally
      >from there.
      >I have created balanced maps and started games a couple of times now and
      >have asked someone to do this for me. I think this is an important service
      >because most (6 out of 8) random maps I have played recently have clearly
      >allowed an advantage to one player or the other.
      ></QUOTE>
      >
      >This procedure puts the burden of agreeing on the parameters on the players
      >before getting the coordinator involved. Unlike the tournaments, where the
      >computer is there to protect against peaking, EDIE
      >
      >It does not really work for starting an on-line game, but games can be
      >moved
      >from PBEM to on-line and back easily enough that I would use it for a
      >preplanned online game as well. And I would like to be able to start most
      >of my games on-line and switch to email when it starts to slow down.
      >
      >Arne aka Adastra
      >http://home.comcast.net/~empiredeluxe/

      Frustrated with dial-up? Lightning-fast Internet access for as low as
      $29.95/month. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200360ave/direct/01/
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic