2181Re: Production Efficiency ( was Patch 3.512 (was:...)

  • Andy Young
    Sep 15, 2003
      I have been playing with different styles of maintaining production.

      I have tried keeping my production up by turning off production is
      backwater cities. Consider the situation.
      City Count 128, Units 451, Cities producing 37 [8+7+16+3+1+1+1],
      Overall Production Efficiency 379%
      By observation I see that I'm producing about 10 units per turn.

      Turning on the production in ten cities will increase the cities
      producing by 25% but will reduce overall production efficiency by
      only 15% to 323%. The result is a net increase in production of 10%.

      Turning on the production in all cities will increase the cities
      producing by 3.45 times but will reduce overall production efficiency
      by about 1/3 to 133%. The result is a net increase in production of
      20%.

      You can tweak this further.
      Turning the production to 100 cities will increase the cities
      producing to 2.7 times the original but will reduce overall
      production efficiency by about 1/2 to 174%. The result is a net
      increase in production of 24%.

      I applied these calculations to other games that I played and the
      results vary greatly. Sometimes you can maximumize production by
      keeping production at 400%, sometimes you need to turn all cities on.

      Conclusion:
      ED remains a great game with subtleties beyond comprehension.

      GeneralError
    • Show all 47 messages in this topic