201[empire-deluxe] Re: Password question...

  • Andy Young
    Nov 10, 1999
      Sorry, Chris, one-way encryption on passwords means they cannot be decoded.  This isn't our Chocolate game, since we do have a password keeper.

      However, Tim Roberts wrote EDSecure (in beta testing) which is a secure shell around ED.  It drives the logon screen filling in the player and password.  I'm sure that he could do the opposite and write an anti-security shell that crunches through the 2 billion six-character (alphabetic + numbers) passwords.  But if he did, he would have a tough time finding people to play against.

      I'm not too worried about Tim's programming skills since ED can only do about 4 passwords per second, so it will take almost 5 days to find a 4 digit password, half a hear to find a 5 digit password and 17.5 years for a six digit password.  If you have an idea what letters were used, then the time is reduced dramatically.  You can also reduce the time if you know that you used real words as a password.  If you get many computers working night and day on it, you could have your match going again in about a month or two, assuming that you can find a programmer with the skill and time to write the code.

      +--------------------------+------------------------------------------+
      | Andy Young               |"There are only two truly infinite things,|
      |        aka GeneralError  |   the universe and human stupidity.      |
      | gyoung1@...         |   And I am unsure about the universe."   |
      | members.home.net/gyoung1 |                    - Albert Einstein     |
      +--------------------------+------------------------------------------+

      Chris Ross wrote:

      Hello,

      This is strange question and I hope none of my Empire competitors think I'm
      trying to cheat.

      Is there any way to recover a Empire password?

      I'm in a six player game and one of the players has forgotten his password.
      Yeah, I know.  We should have had a password keeper.  Well we didn't.  :\

      Any assistance would be appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Chris

      Christopher Ross
      Level Designer
      LucasArts Entertainment Co.
      x8445

      --
      | Andy Young               |"There are only two truly infinite things,|
      |        aka GeneralError  |   the universe and human stupidity.      |
      | gyoung1@...         |   And I am unsure about the universe."   |
      | members.home.net/gyoung1 |                    - Albert Einstein     |

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic