1554Re: [empire-deluxe] Tactical exercise 2

  • Michael Mendelsohn
    Apr 1, 2003
      Hi!

      > Still eagerly waiting for your views since you played it... 8)

      I'd hoped someone else might comment, too, but - alas! - that was not
      to be. So here are my own thoughts on what you've written ;)

      On 28 Mar 2003 , Sebbie wrote about Re: [empire-deluxe] Tactical
      exerci:
      > I'd say everything depends
      > on how far away your reinforcements are.

      It also depends on how far my opponent's reinforcements are, the
      problem being that I don't know that because I haven't (and can't)
      explore that far. :(

      > I can easily see several ways to play this out.
      > 1) Attack his AR with the FI and if you cripple
      > him you may want to hunt him down with your AR.

      This could easily lead to an ambush-type situation, i.e. I need 3
      turns to get to him, and by then he might have superior force in the
      area.
      More likely, with the armor crippled, there's nothing holding him
      back from taking the city (adv3 combat!), since a city fights better
      than a crippled armor. I could then attack the city for a 75% (?)
      chance of success and a loss of 1 turn of production (= 1 Inf); I
      also would have lost a fighter.

      > 2) Take the 80% city and refuel the fighter
      > immediately. Then, block him with INF and FI
      > while waiting for backup.

      Takes too long IMHO - his backup may arrive before I can get to C
      again.

      > 3) Take the 154% city and attack his AR
      > with the fighter. If you win the attack or
      > cripple him it may be over right there.
      > And even if you fail you force him to attack
      > your city which he might fail too. Worse case
      > scenario being you lose the city to him, which
      > he will have at..umm..125% or so, and you deal
      > with it with more units.

      Worst case I will lose armor and fighter and need 2 more turns to
      lead backup in, by which time the city has generated 2 infantry.

      > To me, the decision has to be made from where
      > the game is heading and how far away the backup
      > is.

      The game is in the exploration/expansion phase shortly after first
      contact has been made; since aerial backup is readily available, one
      can deduce that you already hold some cities in the vicinity. I made
      some statements as to how far backup could be; in the actual game, a
      second armor was 2 turns behind the first one, with more troops
      following close behind.

      > I'd probably try the free attack on his AR
      > with my fighter first, and then either hunt him
      > down or just wait for him to make the first move,
      > or grab the 154% city.

      > How did you play it?

      I did try the fighter attack. If that had come to nought, I'd have
      started on the flanking move around the city, which allowed a strike
      at the city at any time should he choose to take it; this would be a
      gamble on my reinforcements being at least as good as his.
      The fighter did cripple the armor, and I took the city right away; my
      opponent's counter attack resulted in him losing the armor, so all
      was well.

      > What do you other guys think?

      That's what I'm asking myself, too - was my scenario too difficult,
      did it contain too little information, did I already supply too much
      analysis, or was Seb's response too good? ;)

      Have fun playing ed
      Michael
      --
      The beginning starts in the middle, and the end suddenly stops.
      "Der Anfang fängt in der Mitte an, und das Ende hört plötzlich auf."

      --
      The beginning starts in the middle, and the end suddenly stops.
      "Der Anfang fängt in der Mitte an, und das Ende hört plötzlich auf."
      -- zitiert auf http://www.meocom-online.de/home/sabseb/zl.html
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic