Emily Dickinson's Gothic Nunnery

  • LaceValentine
    Message 1 of 126 , Nov 25, 2000
      Welcome to the Yahoo! Message Board for Emily Dickinson's Gothic Nunnery
    • edgar_allan_poem
      Message 126 of 126 , Jan 20, 2002
        "America is the final stage of modern Europe.
        Gu�non called the United States 'the far West', in the
        novel sense that the United States represent the
        reductio ad absurdum of the negative and the most senile
        aspects of Western civilization. What in Europe exists in
        diluted form is magnified and concentrated in the United
        States whereby it is revealed as the symptoms of
        disintegration and cultural and human regression. The American
        mentality can only be interpreted as an example of
        regression, which shows itself in the mental atrophy towards
        all higher interests and incomprehension of higher
        sensibility. The American mind has limited horizons, one
        conscribed to everything which is immediate and simplistic,
        with the inevitable consequence that everything is
        made banal, basic and levelled down until it is
        deprived of all spiritual life. Life itself in American
        terms is entirely mechanistic. The sense of 'I' in
        America belongs entirely to the physical level of
        existence. The typical American neither has spiritual
        dilemmas nor complications: he is a 'natural' joiner and
        conformist." <br><br>(Julius Evola, 1945.)
        calling America an absurd reduction of European culture,
        "the Far West," then the notion of reinvention of
        one's self and progress and the pioneering spirit--what
        I would call the rush toward the Unknown--was an
        illusion, a tale for luring others to this continent and to
        populate themselves as an irony against our poems. The
        first settlers found then a discovery that stripped
        them of all the nobler elements from their past for
        the forgery of a New Order, all derived from the One
        Thing, however plural their histories.<br><br>This New
        Order would imply a depletion rather than an increase
        in spirit, ignoring Whitman's boast that he
        contained multitudes. He tried to present himself as the
        typical New American, unrestrained by the weight and
        clap-trap of tradition. The Tramp or Hobo--an experience
        that must have paralleled the first European witnesses
        privy to our Geography. Everything New, including the
        Self. But according to Evola's theory on Guenon,
        Whitman was entirely delusional in his feeling-thought,
        and we should return to Cathedrals. However, the most
        sublime Yankee that has ever raised Cain with our
        American notions wouldn't be Whitman--but Emily Dickinson.
        She never drove a Democratic waggon.