Re: back injury payout

  • Fenella Lemonsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2000
      Hi Gillie

      Nice to hear from you. I know what you mean about the aggression. I work in
      an emergency mental health setting where real violent patients walk through
      the door and I am terrified. I sometimes feel like walking around with a
      prefilled syringe of chlorpromazine !! I have done courses in control and
      restraint, management of aggression (these two courses were done at
      Broadmoor- Special Hospital for Violent and mentally disturbed offenders of
      the highest risk ) and even taken up tae bo/ kick boxing. I still feel
      afraid. I am covered by the Home Office for C&R iif there are comebacks but
      nevertheless it is hard. In A&E there are needle risks, a registrar was in
      fear for his wait of a window period after a hep B +ve pt. scratched the
      doc. He was clear in the end but we all felt the fear. The patient was
      diagnosed hiv antibody +ve so it was tricky.

      Fenella
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2000
        Hello everyone, it is interesting that this should be brought up. Just this
        week-end we had a pt. family member flip out, first verbally abusive, then
        physically. The hospital I work at decided to diffuse the situation and
        that is where it stopped. I was floored because I felt more action should
        have been taken, we should feel at least some sense of security while at
        work. It definitely made a statement as to where the hospital stood in
        regards to our personal safety. I came from a community hospital in which
        the county sheriffs had a detention unit. The one time a was attack by a
        patient, the police were there within seconds and I was able to press
        charges and have him taken to detention. It is an interesting question that
        is posed, I quess each person has to make their decision as to were the line
        must be drawn. I personally do not feel we should have to take the abuse
        and threats, we should not have to fear that we will be beat up or shot at,
        however if the hospital does not back this belief then we must proceed in
        our jobs in what ever way we see fit. It seems a shame that someone who is
        attempting to help people should have to also fear those people. Last
        winter at our hospital there was a situation in which a nurse was shot at
        as she was carrying her 8 month old son to the car, it is a very scary but
        real problem.
        Thanks for letting me vent. HAHA
        Cheryl F.
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2000
          << I personally do not feel we should have to take the abuse
          and threats, we should not have to fear that we will be beat up or shot at,
          however if the hospital does not back this belief then we must proceed in
          our jobs in what ever way we see fit. It seems a shame that someone who is
          attempting to help people should have to also fear those people >>

          Cheryl I couldn't agree with you more. I don't understand when a patient or
          visitor goes off administration always blames the staff. The least they
          could do is support us in a already tough job. What can we do about this?
          Lisa
        • Cheryl D. Flick
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2000
            Hello Lisa,
            What ever the solution, it will have to be a united one. I "highly
            suggested" that we call security at the least, however most just wanted to
            forget about the situation. I decided that come monday they would have to
            fire me, because if it started again I was going to call the police and have
            him hauled away. But, my opinion was the minority, and was certainly not
            supported by administration. I really do not understand their hesitations!
            Any ideas?
            Cheryl F.