Hello

  • juancholash
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2013
      Hi all, my name is John Lash and I came across the blog and this group via NVC in Education on FB. I attempted to view the notebook mentioned in the email I received, but neither link worked. I am interested in NVC and restorative justice, especially restorative circles. My own views on what NVC "is" have evolved over the last eight years or so. Lately I have been looking at the work of Manfred Max-Neef and Silvan Tomkins. Max-Neef is an economist, and looks at fundamental needs. His work has lately been expanded beyond humans to include ecosystems. Tomkins' work focused on the biological framework of affect (not the same as emotion). His work has been absorbed by several approaches to restorative justice.
      What draws me to these works is an attempt to look at human nature from an objective viewpoint that takes into account evolution. My own education is in conflict resolution, and theories abound about why people do what they do, but few have a biological basis. The bottom line for me has been that NVC has worked in my life as a way to speak and hear others, and my own belief is that it "works" because of its attention to needs. As an applied peace linguistics model NVC can be seen both as a pattern and as an attempt to explain how our minds work. Anyway, I am rambling now! I look forward to learning with everyone here. Thanks for creating this group.
    • Conal Elliott
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2013
        Hello and welcome to the group, John. Thank you for the introduction and for letting me know about the stale pointers to the Emergence notebook. The new location is http://nvc-evolves.org/emergence, which is now reflected on the group's main page. I hope I haven't missed any pointers.

        -- Conal