Re: [emergence-of-nvc] certification question

  • Conal Elliott
    Message 1 of 8 , May 28, 2008
      Hi Robert,

      Here are some ideas:

      Get together a group of local people who attend each other's trainings to give live and written feedback.  Within your new group, resist the temptation to use *any* kind of labels to distinguish one person's credibility or status from another.  ("In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - Shunryu Suzuki.)  If you are going to use words like "trainer", use them in the giraffe sense of "one who trains", not the jackal sense of "one who is approved to train".

      Come up with a name for your new organization (or disorganization) that captures the spirit of what you want to see, perhaps in a subtle contrast to what you see in groups like CNVC and NYCNVC.  Believe in what you're making, and choose a name that reflects your own confidence and respect.

      Notice and breathe through the inner voices that say you have to get some other authority's approval in order to be legitimate.  Remind yourself that so-called authorities are as welcome as any and may have helpful feedback to share, even through their own filters.

      Read and reflect on the Carl Rogers article, found earlier in this discussion group, about certification.

      Turn the top-down quality-control paradigm on its head.  Have "certification" (feedback) flow from your students & clients, since they are better qualified than anyone to assess the effectiveness of your teaching.

      If you haven't already, read through posts in the blog and the discussion group called "NVC Evolves", where you may find some inspiration, encouragement, and clarity to help with your new creation.

        http://evolve.awakeningcompassion.com
        http://groups.google.com/group/nvc-evolves

      I may not have answered your question as concretely as you'd like.  We can certainly get more concrete.  Meanwhile, I'd love to hear your gut responses to what I've shared so far.

        - Conal

      On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Robert S. <robertnyc777@...> wrote:
      Hi everyone,

      I am a new member to the list and have enjoyed reading the archives.  I
      was wondering if there are altneratives to CNVC that give out the
      certifcation label for trainers?  Here in NYC the local NVC group does
      that but it seems like a long and expensive process.  I like the
      concept of self-certification but I have concerns in using the title
      because I think others may find it deceptive if I say certified and not
      self-certified.

      Robert

    • Bhupinder Gill

        Message 3 of 8 , May 28, 2008
          Hi Bhupinder,

          Whether or not you think you're ready, you have already received certification!  In your case, your students did the certifying, via their evaluations.  That kind of bottom-up certification (attestation) is much more meaningful to me than a top-down system, which is based more on abstractions and the past than on the living, breathing present.

          In making decisions, I like to measure what I care about.  Bottom-up assessment & certification (flowing from students & clients) measure how effectively I'm helping people enjoy life.

            - Conal