The Politics of Giving Therapy Away

  • (I)An-ok Ta Chai
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2008
      Hey all,

      Here is an article by Eugene Gendlin, a colleague of both Carl Rogers
      and Marshall Rosenberg back in the day, and the originator of the
      Focusing process. I like this article because he *begins* it with
      essentially an assumption that certification, professionalism, etc. is
      not all-that, and then he goes on from there.

      I see a lot of the principles and ideas that he sketches out here as
      being relevant to spreading NVC in new grass-roots creative ways. I
      see what he is talking about here as being totally relevant for NVC,
      in that "teaching the specifics" can by tied in with the NVC notion of
      emphasizing clear concrete doable things with the observations &
      requests, and the "each assertion is tied to an aspect of experience"
      can be tied to the NVC concept of stopping and *really experiencing*
      the feelings and needs, instead of being all intellectual & heady
      about it.

      Anyway, I'll stop here - and look forward to seeing what ya'll think,
      feel, need around this!

      The Politics of Giving Therapy Away -
      http://www.focusing.org/fot/giving_therapy.asp

      In liberation,