Re: Possible Resource for Emergence of NVC

  • (I)An-ok Ta Chai
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20 9:31 PM
      Heya Emma,

      I am intrigued by what you say here, in part because not too long ago
      I did a bunch of work with Drupal. I also set up the drupal site for
      the Washington D.C. area NVC group - http://www.capitolnvc.org/

      Now, what comes up for me reading what you wrote is - why not work
      with the CNVC over this? The CNVC recently switched their site
      (http://cnvc.org/) over to be a new drupal system, with the hopes of
      fostering more of an inter-connected grass-roots community thing.

      I figure, why go through all of the work of setting up a new Drupal
      system when one is already there - not only that, but one that already
      has all of the viewers that you will be wanting to get anyway! Much
      time & energy could be saved this way, I believe.

      I recommend that you contact the webmaster for the CNVC site directly
      about incorporating the Emergence vision into the new drupal site. I
      met him in person at the "Compassion In Action" NVC conference in
      Oakland, California the summer of 2006, and he struck me as a good
      person (ie, I had a sense of ease, flow, and trust in our
      interactions). He might very well be interested in doing this.

      His name is William Poehner and his e-mail address is: wpoehner@...

      Wishin' you well.

      In lib,

      (I)

      --- In emergence-of-nvc@yahoogroups.com, "Emma McCreary" <emma@...> wrote:

      > Holly, I agree, Biznik is an excellent model to start with. Since they
      > use their own code, not a system already out there, there isn't an
      > easy way to just press 'copy' and have our own system like that
      though. =)

      > Drupal was described recently to me as "a dumptruck full of legos"
      > which I think is pretty accurate. It's very powerful, especially when
      > you add all the modules available to extend the base system. So I
      > think it is a good choice for building the site we are talking about.
      > We can use it to replicate functionality we like on Biznik and on
      > other community sites that we like.
      >
      > Here is my status: I am learning Drupal right now. I am involved in
      > two projects right now that I'm going to be helping port to Drupal.
      > They are both existing sites, one is an online literary journal that a
      > friend runs and one is a content site of mine that I want to turn into
      > a community site. So over the next few months I'm going to be learning
      > Drupal really well.
      >
      > So I think in a few months I'll be ideally suited to start building
      > the NVC-matching site that Conal describes here:
      > http://emergence.awakeningcompassion.com/
      >
      > Meanwhile, we could figure out what we really want the site to be like.
      >
      > So, my proposal is that we adopt that as the gameplan for now, and
      > start compiling a specification on what we want on the new site.
      > Conal, can we compile that list on the notebook above?
      >
      > Here are some things to think about feature wise:
      > - what community features do we want? (create a profile, become
      > "friends" with other members)
      > - what content-writing features do we want? (ie can members write
      > articles, how are they approved?)
      > - comments on articles, comments on profiles
      > - how will comments be moderated?
      > - internationalization? translation?
      >
      > The original specs Conal wrote up don't includes as much of the
      > "social networking" aspects as Biznik does. I am quite partial to
      > social networking sites. I would love to see a buzzing online
      > community of NVC folk connecting with each other, writing articles, etc.
      >
      > I'm proposing this b/c it's my best guess of how we could implement
      > the system. As always, if people want to explore other strategies,
      > let's discuss.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Emma

    • Emma McCreary
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21 1:12 AM
        Yes, I saw that CNVC just converted their site to using Drupal.
        However, being that Drupal is like "a dumptrunk of legoes", just a
        site being made in Drupal doesn't mean that they have the same goal
        and vision with their website as the Emergence vision. I think the
        goals of CNVC and Emergence are pretty different right now. They might
        converge in the future, but I don't see them as compatible right now.

        Let me know if you want more clarification on the differences I see.
        There is also some discussion over here that is related to the topic
        of "NVC" vs "CNVC": http://groups.google.com/group/nvc-evolves

        That said, William himself might very well be interested and I'd be
        delighted if he wanted to help us. Would you be interested in emailing
        him and letting him know about the project?

        Emma
      • Simon Smaluhn
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 21 4:46 AM
          Dear NVC-inspired friends,

          in 2006 we have set up a drupal site, which intended to meet several
          of the needs the Emergence-Project wants to address. As I didn't have
          much drupal experience at that time the site wasn't working as we
          intended and is now not active anymore.

          "We" are people active in and friends of the Germany-based iNGO
          Mindfulness and Understanding (Achtsamkeit und Verständigung e.V.,
          www.av-ev.de). Namely, the people currently most involved are: Milad
          Sadinam and me. And supporting this undertaking: Thomas Zahreddin,
          Markus Pallo, Carsten Sperling, and Kay Vosshenrich.

          We have last year started again with Drupal 5 and CiviCRM on
          http://www.achtsamkeit-verstaendigung.de (We use internationalization
          and intend to have the site translated in the following languages:
          German, English, and French this and next year.

          I tell you this because I want to let you know that we're also
          interested in the same thing and put energy into this. I believe that
          we could maybe cooperate. I'm unsure whether we could even work on
          >one< project/site or how we could learn from each other (which
          modules to use, how to set up which functions etc.) if we choose that
          it's better to have two separate platforms. (That could then also be
          linked together somehow.)

          I'm having no clear request at the moment but am happy to hear

          Best wishes from Lebensgarten Steyerberg, Germany,
          Simon (Zeemon) Smaluhn

          --
          Simon Smaluhn
          Achtsamkeit und Verständigung e.V.
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21 5:28 PM
            Heya Emma,

            I wrote to William and informed him about the Emergence proposal and
            this list.

            Thanks for the link to the other group. I read a bunch of the
            discussion you're referring to, and now feel I have a bit more
            understanding as to where you're coming from.