Opportunities for emerging

  • lmdv
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2008
      Wow, I feel surprised that I didn't understand the Emergence guidelines
      as much as I thought I did when I read read them awhile ago.
      But I'm sure glad to hear about an NVC camp at Rainbow Gathering this
      year. Sounds to me like a great opportunity for supporting NVC to
      emerge, so I wish the post could stay in the archives for others who
      might share the inspiration.
      In general, thanks to everyone reading this, for all you're doing, which
      helps fill a need in me for hope and camaraderie.
      Cheers,
      Lisa-Marie DiVincent
      Oregon Network for Compassionate Communication - www.orncc.net
      Coalition for Nonviolent Living - www.nonviolentliving.org
      Co-sponsors of "Nonviolence as Way of Life" 2008 Conference featuring MB
      Rosenberg
      Sept. 11-14, 2008 at the University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon, USA

    • Emma McCreary
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 12, 2008

        Hi peoples!

        When I first read Conal’s post about deleting other people’s posts I felt a jolt of fear, and felt needs for safety around self-expression and fear that I would be punished or my posts would be removed if I said the wrong thing. I sat with it awhile and it dissipated as I thought about the purpose of Conal’s actions and his desire to create clarity and focus in the group. But I wanted to acknowledge and share that for the sake of empathy with others who might have felt that too!

        Mulling on it, I’m guessing that Conal is using the word “emergence” differently than common usage of the word “emerge” and perhaps that is leading to confusion.

        Commonly, “emerge” means to come into view, to become known and apparent. In this context, announcements about NVC gatherings would be relevant.

        However, “emergence” as it is being used here, is a concept about the way in which systems organize themselves from the bottom up, and how top-down structures (like how CNVC is currently organized) tend to create bottlenecks which hamper growth. And the group (from my understanding) was formed to discuss how to apply this and related theories to NVC to support its growth and evolution. In this context, posts that are purely announcements about NVC gatherings could dilute that discussion and confuse people as to the purpose of the group.

        I’m hoping this helps provide clarity, does it? Are there other needs that have not been addressed?

        Perhaps a helpful strategy to meet future clarity needs would be to clarify this distinction about how the group is using the word “Emergence” on the group’s description?

        Happy to be dancing,

        Emma