Re: [Embracing Islam] 30 DAYS EPISODE

  • calista
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2005
      salaam aleikum
      i found this reivew on line from the wsj yesterday. i
      dont know anything about the reviewer and i did not
      see the show, but i thought it was interesting.

      salaam
      calista

      HOUSES OF WORSHIP

      Unreal for 30 Days
      A "documentary" on Islam tells a preconceived story.

      BY DEBBIE SCHLUSSEL
      Friday, June 24, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT

      Morgan Spurlock got famous from his Oscar-nominated
      documentary "Super Size Me." He ingested big
      McDonald's meals three times a day for 30 days, then
      blamed McDonald's for his bloated body and dodgy
      health. Now he's using his 30-day premise to get
      Americans to ingest his version of radical Islam on
      cable's FX Network.

      Last year, I received a request to appear on Mr.
      Spurlock's new reality show, "30 Days." The episode
      for which I was being recruited, "Inside an American
      Muslim Family," airs next Wednesday. It features Mr.
      Spurlock's childhood friend from West Virginia, David
      Stacy, spending 30 days "living as a Muslim" in the
      Detroit area.

      While Mr. Spurlock is often referred to as a
      journalist, and touts "30 Days" as a "documentary,"
      the outcome of the show was decided before production
      began. A show summary sent to me before taping said:
      "This process aims to deconstruct common
      misconceptions and stereotypes. . . . Our character
      will learn firsthand about Islam and the daily issues
      that . . . Muslims in America face today. The viewers
      will witness our character emerge from the immersion
      situation with a deeper understanding and appreciation
      for the Muslim-American experience. . . . The
      potential is great for this program to enlighten a
      national television audience about the Muslim American
      experience and increase their compassion,
      understanding and support."

      And indeed, The Wall Street Journal's own Dorothy
      Rabinowitz, writing about the show last week from a
      preview tape, noted that Mr. Stacy, by the end of his
      30 days, "has become so enlightened that he is
      pronouncing, if incomprehensibly, on the meaning of
      Islam, his knowledge of the Quran, the real definition
      of jihad."

      I asked the show's executive producers--all of whom
      worked on "The Awful Truth With Michael Moore," a
      cable TV show--how this could be a documentary when
      they had decided the outcome in advance. Wasn't it
      possible that Mr. Stacy would come out seeing that
      there isn't Islamophobia to the extent that the Muslim
      community claims? Might he see that there is
      disturbingly strong support in the Detroit-area
      Islamic community for terrorist groups Hamas and
      Hezbollah--a fact regularly documented even in the
      normally pliant Detroit media?

      No, the producers told me. "Morgan wants the show to
      demonstrate to America that we are Islamophobic and
      that 9/11's biggest victims are Muslims." With this in
      mind, I agreed to be filmed only with final approval
      of my appearance, which I never gave. Thus I will not
      appear in Wednesday's show.

      When I met David Stacy, about halfway through his
      30-day experience, I was amazed at how uninformed he
      was. This new "expert" on Islam never heard of
      Wahhabism--the extremist Sunni strain of Islam that
      dominates Saudi Arabia and informs the
      terrorist-breeding madrassa schools throughout Arab
      and other Muslim lands. He was unfamiliar with groups
      like Hamas and Hezbollah. He did not believe me when I
      told him that Hezbollah had murdered hundreds of U.S.
      Marines and civilians in Beirut and elsewhere. He
      seemed mystified to learn that President Bush shut
      down American Islamic charities, like the Holy Land
      Foundation and Global Relief Foundation, for funding
      Hamas and al Qaeda.

      In Mr. Stacy, it is clear, Mr. Spurlock had found the
      perfect tabula rasa. He had also found the perfect
      "experts" and "key members" of Detroit's Islamic
      community to educate him. One such was Muqtedar Khan,
      a professor at Adrian College whose occasional columns
      in the Detroit News and elsewhere have urged us to
      understand how devout Muslims can be driven to commit
      terrorism because of the West's economic alliances.

      Mr. Stacy was also taught by Imam Hassan Qazwini of
      Dearborn's Islamic Center of America, the largest
      mosque in North America. In November 1998, Mr.
      Qazwini's mosque hosted Louis Farrakhan, who was
      introduced as "our dear brother" and "a freedom
      fighter." I was there and watched Mr. Qazwini cheer on
      Mr. Farrakhan's attacks on America and his
      descriptions of Jews as "evil" and "forces of Satan."

      When I told Mr. Spurlock's executive producer that I
      felt David Stacy was, well, a moron, she replied that
      Imam Husham Al-Husainy, a prominent Dearborn Shia
      cleric, "said the same thing" and refused to continue
      teaching him about Islam for the show. The biggest
      morons, though, will be not Mr. Stacy but the critics
      and viewers who fall for this supersized phony
      "documentary."

      Ms. Schlussel is Detroit area attorney, columnist and
      talk show host.

      --- Desiree Hardy <desireu4ever@...> wrote:

      > Asalamu aleikum
      > I seen the show, I thought it had a positive side to
      > show america. But not everything that a person could
      > do in 30 days if you ask me. Seemed like they
      > skipped alot of different things. I recorded it so
      > im gonna watch it again to see how i feel. Sometimes
      > you miss things
      > Salaam
      > Desiree
      >
      > renamt71 <renamt71@...> wrote:
      > Assalaamu Aleikum-
      >
      > By any chance, did anyone watch the episode
      > Wednesday night of 30 Days
      > where a Christian man from West Virginia lived as a
      > Muslim in Dearborn,
      > Michigan for 30 days? I would love to hear/read
      > your thoughts on the
      > experience if you did watch it.
      >
      > Ma'salaam-
      > Lorena

      > Sahih bukhari Islam Beyond belief Islam online
      > Mormon beliefs Nation of islam

      > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Yahoo! Sports
      > Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy
      Football

      "It is better to die than to be humiliated" ---- Imam Hussein in Karbala

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • renamt71
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
        Salaam-

        I agree fully with you. I recorded it as well and have watched it
        twice already. Although there was no way to show everything that the
        Christian man encountered/learned/experienced in the 30 days in a one
        hour show, I felt that they did a good job taking an A-typical,
        white, southern, Christian man and emersing him into a culture that
        he otherwise would not have ever had exposure to. Alhamdulillah, he
        came away from the experience with a changed view of our beautiful
        religion Islam...

        I sure wish that I could get a copy of the uncut footage....

        Ma'salaama...

        --- In embracingislam@yahoogroups.com, Desiree Hardy
        <desireu4ever@y...> wrote:
        > Asalamu aleikum
        > I seen the show, I thought it had a positive side to show america.
        But not everything that a person could do in 30 days if you ask me.
        Seemed like they skipped alot of different things. I recorded it so
        im gonna watch it again to see how i feel. Sometimes you miss things
        > Salaam
        > Desiree
        >
        > renamt71 <renamt71@y...> wrote:
        > Assalaamu Aleikum-
        >
        > By any chance, did anyone watch the episode Wednesday night of 30
        Days
        > where a Christian man from West Virginia lived as a Muslim in
        Dearborn,
        > Michigan for 30 days? I would love to hear/read your thoughts on
        the
        > experience if you did watch it.
        >
        > Ma'salaam-
        > Lorena

        > Sahih bukhari Islam Beyond belief Islam online Mormon beliefs
        Nation of islam

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Sports
      • Aminah
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
          Wa Alaikum Assalaam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

          My husband and I watched the show. I found that it gave some insight into Muslim life. It denounced some pre-conceived notions, and overall was fairly accurate.  Even if it was pre-planned it did help show what everyday life consists of regarding practices (such as prayer) and I think the show could have a positive effect. At least, It could make the people watching want to do some research of their own about Islam.

          Of course there will always be critics who argue that the show was a farce and are upset that Muslims are being portrayed in a favorable light. There are also those who dislike Mr. Spurlock as many dislike Michael Moore. There are always those opinions in every television venture. But for me I choose to look for the positive and I can see some positive in this show.

          The show will re-air Friday @12AM EST and Sunday @11PM EST.

          Ma Salaama,
          Aminah

          Say: O ye men if ye are in doubt as to my religion (behold!) I worship not that which ye worship, other than Allah. But I worship Allah-who will take your souls at death, I am commanded to be in the ranks of the Believers,
          105: And further thus, set thy face toward religion with true piety, and never in any wise be of the Unbelievers.
          106:Nor call on any, other than Allah, such will neither profit thee nor hurt thee: If thou dost (behold!) thou shalt certainly be of those who do wrong.
          107:If Allah doth touch ye with hurt, there is none who can remove it but He. If he do design some benefit for thee, there is none who can hold back His favor. He causeth it to reach whomsoever of His servants he pleaseth. And He is the Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
          10:104-107

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Haja Cheanoui
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2005
            Assalmo alikom wrwb,
                I was unable to see the show,as I don't have cable,anyone who taped it would be willing to send the tape to me than I will return it with the cost of the postage in money order? Please I would appreciate it greatly..Thank you May ALLAH bless you ALL..Heahter

            http://mail.yahoo.com