Hadhrat Hanzlah's (RA) Fear of Nifaq

  • lasmart1
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2001
      Hadhrat Hanzlah's (Radhiyallaho anho) Fear of
      once with the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam)
      when he delivered a sermon. Our hearts became tender,
      our eyes were flowing with tears, and we realised
      where we stood. I left the Prophet and returned home. I
      sat with my wife and children and cracked jokes with
      my wife, and I felt that the effect of the Prophet's
      sermon had completely vanished from my heart.
      and I said to myself; '0, Hanzalah! You are a
      Munafiq'. I was stricken with grief and I left my house
      repeating these words in sorrow; 'Hanziah has turned
      Munafiq. <br><br>I saw Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho) coming
      towards me and I said to him; 'Hanzalah has turned
      Munafiq.' He said; 'Subhanallah' What are you saying?
      Hanzalah can never be a Munafiq.<br><br>I explained to
      him: 'When we are with the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe
      wasallam) and listen to his discourses about Paradise and
      Hell, we feel as if both are present before our very
      eyes but when we return home and are absorbed in our
      domestic and family affairs, we forget all about the
      Hereafter. Abu Bakr (Radhiyallaho anho) said: 'My case is
      exactly the same.<br><br>We both went to the Prophet
      (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam) and I said; 'I have turned
      Munafiq, 0 Prophet of Allah!' He inquired about the
      matter, and I repeated what I had said to Abu Bakr
      (Radhiyallaho anho). Thereupon the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe
      wasallam) remarked: 'By Him Who controls my life, if you
      could keep up for all times the fervor aroused in you
      when you are with me, angels would greet you in your
      walks and in your beds. But, 0, Hanziah! This is rare!
      This is rare!"<br><br>We have to attend to our
      personal and impersonal worldly affairs, and therefore we
      cannot be contemplating the Hereafter for all the
      twenty-four hours of the day. According to what has been said
      by the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam),
      complete absorption in the Hereafter is rare, and it
      should not be expected by all. It is only for the angels
      to remain in the same state for ever. <br><br>In
      case of men, the state of their mind changes with
      circumstances and environments. But we can see from this story
      how anxious the Sahabah were about the condition of
      their Imaan. Hanziah (Radhiyallaho anho) suspects Nifaq
      in himself when he feels that the condition of his
      mind at home is not the same as it is when he is with
      the Prophet (Sallallaho alaihe wasallam).