Some Forbidden Times To Speak

  • Adil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2008

      In the name of Allah, the Most-Merciful, the All-Compassionate

      "May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon You"

      Praise be to Allaah, we seek His help and His forgiveness. We seek refuge with Allaah from the evil of our own souls and from our bad deeds. Whomsoever Allaah guides will never be led astray, and whomsoever Allaah leaves astray, no one can guide. I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

      Bismillah Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala Rasulillah
      As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

      Some Forbidden Times To Speak

       [Taken from www.islam-qa.com]

      (this article has been reproduced from 'islam_true' workgroup,

      posted by Imran Ayub)

      1. Salah

      1.1 Talking During Salah

      Abdullah (b. Masu'd) reported: We used to greet the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) while he was engaged in prayer and he would respond to our greeting. But when we returned from the Negus we greeted him and he did not respond to us; so we said: Messenger of Allah. We used to greet you when you were engaged in prayer and you would respond to us. He replied: Prayer demands whole attention. [Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Number 1096]

      Jabir reported: We were in the company of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him), and he sent me on an errand, and when I came back (I saw him) saying prayer on his ride and his face was not turned towards Qibla. I greeted him but he did not respond to me. As he completed the prayer, he said: Nothing prevented me from responding to your greeting but the fact that I was praying. [Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Number 1102]

      1.2 Greeting During Salah

      It is prescribed for a Muslim to initiate the greeting of salaam to his Muslim brother when he is praying, but the one who is praying should not return the salaams whilst praying, except by making a gesture in a manner that will maintain the validity of his prayer, because it was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said:

      “I asked Bilaal, How did the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) return their salaam when they greeted him whilst he was praying? He said, With a gesture of his hand.” [Narrated by Ahmad, 6/12; Abu Dawood, 1/569, no. 927; al-Tirmidhi, 2/204, no. 368; al-Bayhaqi, 2/262; also narrated by the five].

      It was also narrated from him that Suhayb (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I passed by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was praying. I greeted him with salaam  and he responded with a gesture.” And he said: I am not sure whether he said “a gesture with his fingers”. (Narrated by the five, apart from Ibn Maajah. Al-Tirmidhi said: both hadeeths are saheeh in my view).

      It was reported that Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: I heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbidding us to pray two rak’ahs after ‘Asr, then I saw him praying them when he prayed ‘Asr. She said, he entered and there were some women from Bani Haraam, from among the Ansaar, with me. He started to pray them [these two rak’ahs after ‘Asr], so I sent a young girl to him, and I told her, ‘Stand beside him and say to him, Umm Salamah is saying to you, O Messenger of Allaah, I heard you forbidding us to do these two rak’ahs and now I see you praying them. If he makes a gesture with his hand then leave him and go back.’ So the young girl did that and he made a gesture with his hand, so she left him and went back. When he finished praying, he said: ‘O daughter of Abu Umayyah, you asked about the two rak’ahs after ‘Asr. Some people from Banu ‘Abd al-Qays came to me and kept me from doing the two rak’ahs after Zuhr, and that is what these were.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

      These ahaadeeth indicate that it is prescribed to say salaams to a person whilst he is praying, and that he should respond to the greeting with a gesture, because this is what the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) approved of initiating the salaam, and he returned the greeting with a gesture only.

      [Al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah li’l-Buhooth al-‘ilmiyyah wa’l-Iftaa’, 7/36]

      1.3 Sneezing During Salah

      Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said: If a person sneezes whilst praying, he should say Al-hamdu Lillah, as was narrated in the saheeh report of the story of Mu’aawiyah ibn al-Hakam (may Allaah be pleased with him) when he started to pray with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), then a man among the people sneezed and said, “Al-hamdu Lillaah.” Mu’aawiyah said to him, “Yarhamuk Allaah (may Allaah have mercy on you).” The people glared at Mu’aawiyah, denouncing him for speaking. He said: “May my mother be bereft of me!” then they started to beat their hands on their thighs, indicating to him to be quiet, so he was quiet. When the prayer was over, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) called him. Mu’aawiyah said: May my father and mother be sacrificed for him. By Allaah, he did not scold me or beat me or rebuke me. He said: This prayer should not include anything of people’s talk; rather it is tasbeeh (saying ‘Subhaan Allaah’ – glory be to Allaah), takbeer (saying ‘Allaahu akbar’ – Allaah is Most Great) and reciting Qur’aan.” (Narrated by Muslim, 537; Abu Dawood, 930. )

      The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not tell off the one who sneezed and said Al-hamdu Lillaah whilst praying, which indicates that if a person sneezes during the prayer he should say al-hamdu Lillaah, because there is a reason for doing so. But that does not apply to every dhikr for which the reason for saying it occurs whilst one is praying[Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 13/342.]

      (read more : He sneezed while he was praying - should he say al-hamdu Lillaah ?

      2. Toilet/Bathroom

      2.1 Talking in the Toilet/Bathroom

      Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Adhkaar (p. 21-22):  It is makrooh to recite dhikr and to speak when relieving oneself, whether that is in the desert or inside a building. All kinds of dhikr and speech are the same in this regard, except in cases of necessity. Some of our companions even say that if a person sneezes (in the bathroom), he should not say “al-hamdu Lillah”, and one should not say “yarhamuk-Allaah” to a person who sneezes, or return the greeting of salaam, or respond to the muezzin in the bathroom. All of that is makrooh but is not haraam. If a person sneezes and praises Allaah in his heart without moving his tongue, there is nothing wrong with that. The same applies when having intercourse

      And we narrated that Ibn ‘Umar said: A man passed by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) whilst he was urinating and greeted him with salaam, but he did not return the greeting. (Narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh, 370).

      2.2 Saying Bismillah during Wudoo’ in the Toilet/Bathroom

      Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: There is nothing wrong with doing wudoo’ inside the bathroom if necessary, and saying Bismillaah at the beginning, because saying Bismillaah is obligatory according to some scholars, and is strongly encouraged according to the majority. So he should do that, and the ruling on it being makrooh is waived, because such rulings are waived when it is necessary to say Bismillaah. A person is commanded to say Bismillaah when starting to do wudoo’, so he should say it and complete his wudoo’. [Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 10/28]

      It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/94 It is makrooh to utter the name of Allaah in the bathroom where a person relieves himself, out of respect for His name, but it is prescribed to say Bismillaah when starting to do wudoo’, because it is obligatory according to a group of scholars.

      If the place where one does wudoo’ is outside the bathroom, even if it is attached to it, then it is prescribed for the person who is doing wudoo’ to utter Bismillaah and it is not makrooh in this case because he is not inside the bathroom.

      3. Friday Khutbah

      3.1 Talking During the Khutbah

      The majority of the scholars are of the opinion that it is obligatory to be silent during the khutbah, and one is not to indulge in conversation during the khutbah, not even if it is to order one to do some good or to stop some evil, and this rule applies whether or not the person sitting in the mosque can actually hear the khutbah.

      Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: If you (even) ask your companion to be quiet on Friday while the Imam is delivering the sermon, you have in fact talked irrelevance [ie. engaged in idle talk]. [Sahih Muslim, Book 004, Number 1846]

      It was narrated that Abu’l-Darda’ said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sat on the minbar and addressed the people, and he recited a verse. Ubayy ibn Ka’b was next to me, so I said to him: “O Ubayy, when was this verse revealed?” But he refused to speak to me, so I asked him again and he refused to speak to me, until the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came down (from the minbar). Then Ubayy said to me: “You have gained nothing from your Jumu’ah except idle talk.” When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) had finished (the prayer), I went to him and told him (what had happened). He said: “Ubayy was right. When you hear your imam speaking, then keep quiet and listen attentively until he has finished.” [Narrated by Ahmad, 20780; Ibn Maajah, 1111; classed as saheeh by al-Busayri and al-Albaani in Tamaam al-Mannah, p. 338]

      It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (8/242)It is not permissible to say Yarhamuk-Allaah (may Allaah have mercy on you) to one who sneezes or to return salaams whilst the imam is delivering the khutbah, according to the correct scholarly opinion, because both of them involve speaking, which is forbidden when the imam is delivering the khutbah, because of the general meaning of the hadeeth

      It also says (8/243):  It is not permissible for the one who enters whilst the imam is delivering the khutbah on Friday, if he can hear the khutbah, to greet the people in the mosque, and those in the mosque should not return his greeting whilst the imam is delivering the khutbah

      And it says (8/244):  It is not permissible to speak whilst the khateeb is delivering the Friday sermon except for one who speaks to the imam for an important reason.

      Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:  It is haraam to give salaams during the Friday khutbah, so it is not permissible for one who enters the mosque whilst the imam is delivering the khutbah to give salaams, and it is also haraam to return the greeting. [Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 16/100 ]

      3.2 Shaking hands During the Khutbah

      At Jumu’ah prayers, the believer should listen to the khutbah and be humble and solemn, he should beware of playing with pebbles on the ground or anything else. If someone greets him he should gesture to him without speaking. If he puts his hand in his when he offers his hand, without speaking, that is OK, as stated above. He should tell him after the khutbah that he should not have done that, and that which is prescribed if one comes in when the imaam is preaching is to pray two rak’ahs to “greet the mosque” and not to say salaams to anyone until after the khutbah has ended. If he sneezes he should praise Allaah (say “al-hamdu Lillah”) to himself without speaking out loud.

      [Majmoo’ Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi’ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh al-‘Allaamah ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), part 12, p. 410]

      Salaam Walekum

      Imran Ayub

      Compiled from various sources.

        Permission is granted to circulate among private individuals and groups, to post on Internet sites and to publish in full text and subject title in not-for-profit publications.

       We All LOVE Islam

      But We Create Our Own Rules On How To Follow Islam.

      Do We Really LIVE Islam ???

      What Seperates our Group from the rest ?
      Only Authentic Information about Islam is passed backed by Quran or Hadith's.